or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1639

post #24571 of 33197
My wife just recently purchased me a gold and steel Rolex Datejust for my 40th birthday. I have gone 10 years without a watch and using a cell phone for the time. The Rolex has changed my mind and I find myself wanting a second watch.

I am thinking:

Option #1 - another less formal Rolex. I was thinking a 1973 vintage model with a leather band celebrating my birth year.

Option #2 - Chopard sportier model with leather band.

Option #3 - Omega Speedmaster leather band.

Any thoughts?
post #24572 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

I find myself wanting a second watch.
While I appreciate that one can find the occasional watch thread on SF, the fact is that SF really isn't specifically a watch place. I can't help but think that taking your question to a forum dedicated to wristwatch matters would make more sense than tackling it here, in this thread.

A couple of obvious places would be the forums at watchuseek.com and timezone.com.
post #24573 of 33197

Hey,

 

I stumbled here after looking for a way to reduce creasing in my dress shoes. After perusing some of the topics I realized I might be doing it all wrong. 

 

Ever since I got engaged I've been trying to dress nicer. It's not something I much cared for before, but I feel that with my tall build and figure I'm underwhelming without a proper wardrobe. I wouldn't call myself a style aficionado, however, I like to research everything and anything that I'm getting myself into.

 

Over this last year I've spend near a couple thousand dollars at Men's warehouse, Carson's, Express, and Kohl's. I just took back most of the clothes I bought from Kohl's the other day because it sucks. I have a couple Calvin Klein suits from MW, but it seems like I may have overspent on them. I would rather cut my wardrobe in half and actually look good rather than spend money on crap.  Based on what I've read here I need to make some changes. I would rather define my own look rather than a salesperson trying, I would also rather save up and pay more for something that's likely to last me longer in style in quality.

 

Just a couple questions to get started:

 

1. What are top 5 brand clothing or retailers/marketplaces that I can start with for both business casual, and jeans? All the nice dress shirts I've gotten from MW (Pronto Uomo) feel like I'm wearing paper. 

2. I like to read a lot so are there any good books to get me started with the basics of style/fashion and looking good? Possibly something that would introduce me to the language associated with clothing (e.g. measuring, styles, quality/make, etc)

 

Thanks

post #24574 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

My wife just recently purchased me a gold and steel Rolex Datejust for my 40th birthday. I have gone 10 years without a watch and using a cell phone for the time. The Rolex has changed my mind and I find myself wanting a second watch.

I am thinking:

Option #1 - another less formal Rolex. I was thinking a 1973 vintage model with a leather band celebrating my birth year.

Option #2 - Chopard sportier model with leather band.

Option #3 - Omega Speedmaster leather band.

Any thoughts?
Depends what are you looking for in a second watch? :-/
post #24575 of 33197

@LA Guy and anyone else

Thanks, had no idea this @_place username here_ notification system was a thing. 

Thoughts on Harris Wharf London outerwear, guys? What are your opinions of the brand compared to other more expensive ones. 


http://www.nittygrittystore.com/men/outerwear/single-breast-wool-coat-navy?p=2
Seems quite rare to come across brands that price wool overcoats for this little, and maintain good quality.  

post #24576 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie Egg View Post

Depends what are you looking for in a second watch? :-/

To be honest I don't know the answer myself. I know if I buy another watch it will lead to another and another...it's just the way I am. Know thyself.
post #24577 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

To be honest I don't know the answer myself. I know if I buy another watch it will lead to another and another...it's just the way I am. Know thyself.
Yes i'd think about it. . Those were 3 very different options you proposed. And they aren't cheap smile.gif Your Rolex is a versatile everyday watch - see how you go, it may be all you need/want.
post #24578 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My wife just recently purchased me a gold and steel Rolex Datejust for my 40th birthday. I have gone 10 years without a watch and using a cell phone for the time. The Rolex has changed my mind and I find myself wanting a second watch.

I am thinking:

Option #1 - another less formal Rolex. I was thinking a 1973 vintage model with a leather band celebrating my birth year.

Option #2 - Chopard sportier model with leather band.

Option #3 - Omega Speedmaster leather band.
Any thoughts?

Omega. Maybe the Rollie. Not the Chopard.
post #24579 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileForum View Post
 

@LA Guy and anyone else

Thanks, had no idea this @_place username here_ notification system was a thing. 

Thoughts on Harris Wharf London outerwear, guys? What are your opinions of the brand compared to other more expensive ones. 


http://www.nittygrittystore.com/men/outerwear/single-breast-wool-coat-navy?p=2
Seems quite rare to come across brands that price wool overcoats for this little, and maintain good quality.  

It's a very nice piece, but it's not a winter weight overcoat.  It's the same material and construction as their sportscoats, a mid-to-heavyweight pressed wool or boiled wool jersey, with the same raw edged construction.  If you live somewhere temperate, and need something casual, the coat will work well.

post #24580 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

Omega. Maybe the Rollie. Not the Chopard.

Please help me understand. Why not the Chopard? Rolex is fairly easy to understand as I have one. Part of the reason I asked for one for my birthday is that they hold their value better than most. The Omega is also fairly clear.
post #24581 of 33197
I think there's no reason why Chopard should not be on your shortlist, if you like their designs (not everyone does but likewise for any brand). The Chopard LUC line is up there with the best, horologically, with Fleurier and Geneva Seal standard. Chopard are also one of the few to produce microrotor movements among their offerings. They have their own foundry and are very much an in house manufacture. In the world of watches there is however a lot of brand prejudice and Chopard tends to be dismissed on subjective grounds. That's why I don't think it would be any more rewarding, necessarily, for you to seek suggestions on watch fora as the responses are likely to be quite predictable smile.gif

p.s. If holding value is important to you, then your answer is clear - Rolex. (the professional range in steel in particular, but not the cellini range where the Rolex name fails to attract demand and hence resale value).
post #24582 of 33197

I would also ask you what utility you want out of the watch. Are you looking for another work watch or a 'kick it' watch.

post #24583 of 33197

Looking to shorten functional button sleeves. How much length separation is necessary from the end of the sleeves to the first button hole? Will half an inch suffice? 

post #24584 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Looking to shorten functional button sleeves. How much length separation is necessary from the end of the sleeves to the first button hole? Will half an inch suffice? 

Not if you want it to look balanced. Usual distance is 1.25 inches... half inch will look odd. But it's your jacket.
post #24585 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

Please help me understand. Why not the Chopard? Rolex is fairly easy to understand as I have one. Part of the reason I asked for one for my birthday is that they hold their value better than most. The Omega is also fairly clear.

I agree with most of what Chuckie said, but the operative statement is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie Egg View Post

...if you like their designs...

which you should not as they are mostly blingy/tacky, uninspired/derivative, or just outright bad. In short, a much more elegant and dare I say "better" watch can be had for the price you'd pay for a Chopard. Perhaps even two!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)