or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1586

post #23776 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Depends on the office and depends on the wedding.
Haha. Answer to that is suburban law practice/courts and my wedding (winery, daytime)
post #23777 of 33197

Hey guys,

 

Need some new shirts (at the moment i have mostly button downs), what's a versatile collar to wear, given that I will rarely--if ever--be wearing suits, only odd jackets and trousers etc. 

 

I'm thinking of ordering five or so off Kamakura. This, along with about 6 oxford cloth button downs and I should be right to start with, for a business casual work envrionment? Thank you :)

post #23778 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post

Haha. Answer to that is suburban law practice/courts and my wedding (winery, daytime)

Then wedding yes, as long as it's not yours, and work yes, as long as you're not in federal court or opening or closing arguments of a big case in state court. In the office would be perfectly fine. I've seen lawyers in suburban practice wearing pink linen shirts and shorts before. Granted, he did own the place, but...

I think a good rule would be anytime you would be comfortable in a pair of lighter brown shoes, the navy would be fine. It's an unusual color, even if dark, so it's not entirely conservative and attracts some attention. I don't have smooth leather navy shoes, but I do wear blue suede with blue pants and jeans, so I'm all for navy shoes with a navy suit. Opinions here vary on that, but hey, they're navy shoes. If strict rules were your thing, you wouldn't be wearing 'em. Let's just say there's room for interpretation.
post #23779 of 33197

Why do people hate low rise pants?

post #23780 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by buchoelbrusco View Post

Thing is my brothers and brother in law will use suits with bow ties each a different color and of course I want to stand out with the midnight blue tux jacket

Tell them to all wear black now ties. Unless of course they are all identical quintuplets, in which case differently colored bowties would be necessary to make them "stand out".
post #23781 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayumochi View Post

I prefer a slim navy blazer without *gold* buttons and think the buttons are only appropriate for Thurston Howell III or maybe even the Skipper on a dress up day. Am I crazy?

I don't like the gold buttons either. But then again, I know I'm crazy.
post #23782 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

Why do people hate low rise pants?

If you have a six pack, they'll show it off. But then again, if you have a belly, they'll show that off too.
post #23783 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

If you have a six pack, they'll show it off. But then again, if you have a belly, they'll show that off too.
Does that mean that only fat people hate low rise pants? I've seen skinny or well built men disliking low rise pants.
post #23784 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheRack View Post

Either my neck has gotten bigger from serious workouts, or the collars on some of my brooks brothers MTM shirts have shrunk some over the past couple of years, and now some of the older shirts (hence why I think the shirts shrunk, as the newer shirts still fit fine and I don't think they made the neck larger last time around) are about half an inch to an inch too snug. If I have the collars replaced, in the event i do need an inch more room in my neck, is that possible to do?

Thanks!

Hi 

I'm afraid it may be the case of trying to close the stable door after the horse has already bolted .... as the shirts are already too small , but cotton shirts should never be dried in the tumble dryer as the margins of shrinkage that is built in to the first wash ( usually around 1% but could be even a touch more ) ... will be exceeded by perpetual tumbler drying... over time you could lose up to 4-5% which on a 16 inch collar could easily equate to half an inch. 
The shirt will shrink in the body and sleeve length too , but you may notice it more in the collar as sometimes the collar interlining shrinks even more than the cotton, and also because it will feel more throttling at the neck.
 
If the band under the collar is big enough ( the button can be shifted a tad ) you could try re-collaring in say white cloth, as the original fabric will probably not be available,  but normally if you do that you might prefer white cuffs as well, maybe not worth the palaver ?  Otherwise might need to keep those shirts for open collars and buy more , remembering to line dry your favourites without heat ...
 
go_quote.gif
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luftvier go_quote.gif
Subversive CBD, maybe?

 

Either my neck has gotten bigger from serious workouts, or the collars on some of my brooks brothers MTM shirts have shrunk some over the past couple of years, and now some of the older shirts (hence why I think the shirts shrunk, as the newer shirts still fit fine and I don't think they made the neck larger last time around) are about half an inch to an inch too snug. If I have the collars replaced, in the event i do need an inch more room in my neck, is that possible to do?

Thanks!
 
go_quote.gif
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luftvier go_quote.gif
Subversive CBD, maybe?
Either my neck has gotten bigger from serious workouts, or the collars on some of my brooks brothers MTM shirts have shrunk some over the past couple of years, and now some of the older shirts (hence why I think the shirts shrunk, as the newer shirts still fit fine and I don't think they made the neck larger last time around) are about half an inch to an inch too snug. If I have the collars replaced, in the event i do need an inch more room in my neck, is that possible to do?

Thanks!
 
go_quote.gif
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luftvier go_quote.gif
Subversive CBD, maybe?

 

post #23785 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post

Med grey suit, light pink shirt. Black or walnut shoes/belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post

I would say walnut, but you could do either.  Walnut would be more interesting. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post

Here's a twist. Would it be better with a navy suit? Decisions decisions..

Walnut would be your best bet all the way, either with your grey or navy suit. As for the suit I'd go for the navy. It goes great with the walnut shoes.

It's become pretty clear that black shoes should be reserved for weddings and funerals, or ultra conservative jobs. Your call on that.
post #23786 of 33197

I agree with you on the black shoes. They are considered to be universal and often do not fit on a given occasion and on a daily basis. Let's leave it at weddings and funerals.

post #23787 of 33197

Originally Posted by buchoelbrusco View Post

Ok thanks and what if I wear the same red tone bow tie?

 

This can be a good option if you plan to take jacket off.

post #23788 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by katr22 View Post

This can be a good option if you plan to take jacket off.

Just. No. baldy[1].gif
post #23789 of 33197
Listen to the black bow tie avatar!
post #23790 of 33197

Funny how the more I wear different shades of brown shoes thats how I view black, which was the only color I used to wear.  Thanks for the reminder.  That being said I went with the med grey suit/pink shirt/walnut shoes.  I have a birthday dinner after work so it feels good for both.  I'm not used to wearing pink but it being October, well, here I go.  

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by donjuan17 View Post




Walnut would be your best bet all the way, either with your grey or navy suit. As for the suit I'd go for the navy. It goes great with the walnut shoes.

It's become pretty clear that black shoes should be reserved for weddings and funerals, or ultra conservative jobs. Your call on that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katr22 View Post
 

I agree with you on the black shoes. They are considered to be universal and often do not fit on a given occasion and on a daily basis. Let's leave it at weddings and funerals.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)