or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1533

post #22981 of 33197

Question for all the suit experts/aficionados and deal hunters:  I've been looking around for a good deal on my first higher-quality suit (right now I have two Abbouds from Gilt or something and a shitty CK--my current job only requires that I wear a suit once or twice a month).

 

I was planning to save up for a MTM from Kent Wang; however, I came across a Hickey Freeman 'Beacon' in gray birdseye on Nordstrom's website for half off and decided to pull the trigger.

 

Haven't received it yet so it might not fit, look wrong, be too heavy for my needs, etc., but I don't usually have a problem with OTR suits.  With tax, it set me back $800, a little less than what I would be paying for a Kent Wang.

 

Is this a good deal on a mainline Hickey Freeman, or could I get something of superior quality for the same or cheaper (Kent Wang or some other MTM or OTR offering) if I keep hunting?

post #22982 of 33197
@Dingus: you need contrast between the jacket and trousers. Pairing navy with navy is not coherent. Shades of grey and brown are both common pairings with a navy sport coat.
post #22983 of 33197
I just bought a Standford Country Collection tweed sports coat at Salvation Army today. Was wondering if anyone knew about the brand and if it was a good one
post #22984 of 33197

Hey SF. Just found this pair of Florsheim at the bottom of my closet from years ago. I tried cleaning them up a bit, I know they're pretty shit but do you think they're wearable? Or should I just toss them.

 

 

 

post #22985 of 33197

^^ I'm sure they could be polished up to a decent state.

 

But they are fundamentally ugly.  Charity shop is calling...

post #22986 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusey View Post

I have seen a few posts recommending Land's End and I had been eyeing it a bit. It looks like their charcoal wool pants are on sale right now for right about $80. I don't necessarily need them right away but probably in 1.5-2 months, do you think I should go ahead and pull the trigger for that or is it in my best interest to wait for a better sale within that time frame?

I'd wait. Sign up for their mailing list, things are seriously always on sale there.

Also, don't get charcoal. Get a mid grey, it's much more versatile.
post #22987 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post

Question for all the suit experts/aficionados and deal hunters:  I've been looking around for a good deal on my first higher-quality suit (right now I have two Abbouds from Gilt or something and a shitty CK--my current job only requires that I wear a suit once or twice a month).

I was planning to save up for a MTM from Kent Wang; however, I came across a Hickey Freeman 'Beacon' in gray birdseye on Nordstrom's website for half off and decided to pull the trigger.

Haven't received it yet so it might not fit, look wrong, be too heavy for my needs, etc., but I don't usually have a problem with OTR suits.  With tax, it set me back $800, a little less than what I would be paying for a Kent Wang.

Is this a good deal on a mainline Hickey Freeman, or could I get something of superior quality for the same or cheaper (Kent Wang or some other MTM or OTR offering) if I keep hunting?

Hey bud,

$800 is probably a little steep for a Hickey Freeman. For the same price, you can find an RLBL or even RLPL (through SF of course). Other options in the $800 range include Caruso, Corneliani, Samuelsohn, RL Polo and possibly Isaia. You could probably even find Zegna mainline for that price.

That said, if the suit fits you well, then wear it in good health. That's always the most important consideration.

Also, don't forget to get a good pair of shoes.
post #22988 of 33197
Ok, a friend of mine gets a suit made in Thailand for roughly $450.
The tailor said the fabric is 180s, I called BS on that, how likely am I wrong?

[The tailor has decent reviews online, but probably not by an educated audience]
post #22989 of 33197

Quick question: I'm thinking about dressing down my Stowa Partitio watch. I like it a lot, but the combination of it being small, with the stuffy leather strap, makes it look out of place in a more casual, "trousers and collared shirt" work environment. Thinking of going with a grey nylon one. What do you think?

 

 

 

Just to give you an idea, this is what the watch looks like: 

 

 

And this is the strap I'm thinking of going with: 

post #22990 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobStrauss View Post

Quick question: I'm thinking about dressing down my Stowa Partitio watch. I like it a lot, but the combination of it being small, with the stuffy leather strap, makes it look out of place in a more casual, "trousers and collared shirt" work environment. Thinking of going with a grey nylon one. What do you think?

Just to give you an idea, this is what the watch looks like:  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


And this is the strap I'm thinking of going with:  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I try not to wear NATO straps on my watches unless it is Friday. I think NATOs are too casual for a dress shirt and wool trousers environment. If it's more like a polos and chinos environment that that's fine.
post #22991 of 33197

Yeah - it is a polos and chinos environment. Sorry I didn't make that clear. 

 

Do you think that grey strap will go with it well?

post #22992 of 33197

Dear Anyone

 

I saw this pair of shoes posted on a thread and was wondering:

  • are these shoes made by Barrett from Italy
  • how much do they cost
  • where can you by them.

 

 

Thanks in advance

 

JK1428

post #22993 of 33197
post #22994 of 33197

I haven't seen an LMGTFY link in like a year. thumbs-up.gif

post #22995 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusey View Post

I have seen a few posts recommending Land's End and I had been eyeing it a bit. It looks like their charcoal wool pants are on sale right now for right about $80. I don't necessarily need them right away but probably in 1.5-2 months, do you think I should go ahead and pull the trigger for that or is it in my best interest to wait for a better sale within that time frame?


Lands' End has a 30% off sale at least once a month. You should probably wait, especially if you don't need them so urgently.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Land's end tailored fit. They are always on sale for $60 or so.

Banana Republic is overpriced garbage. Avoid.

 

I only go to BR if I can't find the item that I want at Lands' End, Brooks Brothers, Club Monaco, or even J Crew. That said, I have been going to BR a lot lately because quality seems to be trending up. Also, considering OP's need, BR may well be one of the best choices for him because it offers the right fit, styling, and accessibility for a slim college guy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)