or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1515

post #22711 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomhak View Post

SHABAMALAM. Long time lurker.

Alright so two combinations with the same tie below, which works better? If any. I kinda want to rock a popping tie on a dark shirt but having a hard time determining how I want to pull it off. Think of this under a light grey linen/wool suit jacket.





If neither work I appreciate any direction.

Forgive me for the shitty PS job it was really quick biggrin.gif

Cheers.

This is a very newb question for someone who has been on this board for 5 years. Also, for some reason, you seem to be taking the comment to burn the black shirt as an endorsement for the navy one. Please burn both.
post #22712 of 33125

The "black" one IS navy, but neither is great.

post #22713 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubits View Post

The "black" one IS navy, but neither is great.
Ah, I see what he meant. I still stand by my comment to burn both.
post #22714 of 33125

I think they'll be waaaay too dark for a light grey suit, at least in a solid colour. In a gingham it could be pulled off.

post #22715 of 33125
nomhak - I neglected to mention before, that those shirts have really wide spread collars. With collars like that, you might want to give some serious consideration to a knot a little more substantial than the four-in-hand shown.

I admit, I'm not any great expert on such collars, as I don't generally care for them. They just don't flatter me, is all. But I do know that if I were to wear such a collar, I'd probably go for a half-windsor knot.
post #22716 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Well, good looking pair of shoes. 

 

Search for the shoe care thread. It's got pages and pages. Just read from the start, the first few pages. It'll have some tutorials on it. I personally use Glen Karen but not many here do. I am satisfied with it. And Glen is more than helpful with any shoe care questions I have.

http://glenkarencare.com/gkcp/

 

eta: here's his blog. Herein lies proof of knowledge.

http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/

Thanks, I will be having a look into that.

post #22717 of 33125

Do cotton navy blazer + med gray wool trousers work in a casual business setting? 

 

the jacket, 

 

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/UnconstructedLudlowSportcoats/PRDOVR~56083/56083.jsp

post #22718 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

Do cotton navy blazer + med gray wool trousers work in a casual business setting? 

 

the jacket, 

 

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/UnconstructedLudlowSportcoats/PRDOVR~56083/56083.jsp

 

I think that is fine for a casual business setting, but I would reconsider the wool trousers. Are these plain worsted? If so, I think they are too formal for a cotton jacket. I would go with something that has a bit of texture, like linen.

post #22719 of 33125
Anybody know where I can get this shirt or a similar shirt? Much thanks in advance.

post #22720 of 33125

I think that's Streetwear and Denim.

post #22721 of 33125

Longtime lurker; just started posting yesterday.

 

I'm looking for a fairly low-priced, lightweight wool suit.  I'd consider spending more than $500, but probably not much more unless one really wins me over (I'm a government attorney with a lot of student loan debt).  The two suits that I currently have in my rotation are Abboud (I think I found them both on Gilt or something), but I feel like I need something a tad bit lighter for the Texas summer.  

 

I'm stuck on labels, however.  Is there by chance any amount of consensus around these parts on who makes a superior, lower-priced suit?  This week I'm looking at the Nordstrom's anniversary sale, and I've just begun checking out eBay.  I was looking at Boss; until I came across a thread here claiming that Boss is generally viewed as overpriced (and there do seem to be similarly priced suits that are made in the U.S., although I'm not sure this matters).  Could someone give me a few quick ideas, or perhaps point me in the direction of a pertinent thread I might have missed?  

 

(and I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question for this thread)


Edited by UTfootball747 - 7/11/13 at 5:48am
post #22722 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability View Post

Anybody know where I can get this shirt or a similar shirt? Much thanks in advance.
 

 

clothesforuttertwats.com

post #22723 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post

Longtime lurker; just started posting yesterday.

I'm looking for a fairly low-priced, lightweight wool suit.  I'd consider spending more than $500, but probably not much more unless one really wins me over (I'm a government attorney with a lot of student loan debt).  The two suits that I currently have in my rotation are Abboud (I think I found them both on Gilt or something), but I feel like I need something a tad bit lighter for the Texas summer.  

I'm stuck on labels, however.  Is there by chance any amount of consensus around these parts on who makes a superior, lower-priced suit?  This week I'm looking at the Nordstrom's anniversary sale, and I've just begun checking out eBay.  I was looking at Boss; until I came across a thread here claiming that Boss is generally viewed as overpriced (and there do seem to be similarly priced suits that are made in the U.S., although I'm not sure this matters).  Could someone give me a few quick ideas, or perhaps point me in the direction of a pertinent thread I might have missed?  

(and I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question for this thread)

BB offers a very lightweight fully canvassed BrooksCool suit which can be bought on sale for less than $500. These are a wool blend (very small percentage synthetic) and are made in China. Not all BrooksCool is as lightweight as these. Look for the "Full Canvas" label on the inside.
post #22724 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability View Post

Anybody know where I can get this shirt or a similar shirt? Much thanks in advance.



You can find it at beltsthataretwofeettoolong.com.
Edited by Steve Smith - 7/11/13 at 6:25am
post #22725 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post


BB offers a very lightweight fully canvassed BrooksCool suit which can be bought on sale for less than $500. These are a wool blend (very small percentage synthetic) and are made in China. Not all BrooksCool is as lightweight as these. Look for the "Full Canvas" label on the inside.

 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Any idea if the brick & mortars have a better selection of sizes than the website?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)