or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1512

post #22666 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresso View Post

mimo,

  Thanks a ton for your input.  That really helped a lot.  I will check out thetiebar for to get some ties really quick to replace my polyester collection and try and learn more about ties.  Thanks for your suggestions on what to get for my core collection, that helps a TON.

I will +1 Mimo and give more advice.

 

Search the forum for Luxeswap and look at the ties he has there. You can bid on good used ties and get some for $30-50 that are pretty solid. If you win, pm spoopoker (the owner) and you get free shipping as a SF member. 

 

If you want to get ties you can keep for a long time and be proud of, you should up your price-per-tie budget to around $100. You can get many nice lightly used ebay ties, Kent Wang ties, Panta ties on sale, etc. Even many ties at Sam Hober. 

post #22667 of 30736

Thinking about getting a Narrangansett Leather belt (bright nickel finish) to match AE Park Avenue (Black)

Should it be 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch?

Is there other cheaper alternatives as well or is the narrangansett belt the best i can get in terms of value/cost

 

Also were these worth the price? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALLEN-EDMONDS-PARK-AVENUE-OXFORD-BLACK-LEATHER-9-D-MEDIUM-325-/360689355026?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PWS%252BqkGIfMqaADM99UU4zET5liI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post #22668 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post

Thinking about getting a Narrangansett Leather belt (bright nickel finish) to match AE Park Avenue (Black)
Should it be 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch?
If it's to be worn with a pair of black AE Park Avenues, I'm guessing it's more likely to be worn with a suit (or at least with dress trousers), than with a pair of jeans.

So, you want 1" or perhaps 1 1/4". A belt width of 1 1/2" is too wide for a dress belt.
Quote:
Is there other cheaper alternatives as well or is the narrangansett belt the best i can get in terms of value/cost
Buy your belt straps at www.beltmaster.com. Not the finest money can buy, but they do represent good value for the price. Purchase your belt buckles separately. Then mix/match as appropriate. After all, a quality belt buckle can last a lifetime. A leather belt strap... probably won't last a lifetime.
post #22669 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post

Which one should I go with?
1. Brooks Brothers' Golden Fleece at full retail minus 15% corporate discount
2. Isaia at full retail
This one's easy - Go for the one that's the better fit on you.
post #22670 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post

Which one should I go with?
1. Brooks Brothers' Golden Fleece at full retail minus 15% corporate discount
2. Isaia at full retail

Isaia quality has declined, IMO.

I'd say Golden Fleece between these two.
post #22671 of 30736
I have two pairs of wool pants that are a smooth worsted wool (gaberdine?). Much like suit pants. These are too dressy for my office

I bought one pair of flat front tweed pants that are great for work but run a bit warm most days.

Is a light weight flannel a good direction to try with these considerations?
post #22672 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean anon View Post

I have two pairs of wool pants that are a smooth worsted wool (gaberdine?). Much like suit pants. These are too dressy for my office

I bought one pair of flat front tweed pants that are great for work but run a bit warm most days.

Is a light weight flannel a good direction to try with these considerations?

Definitely!
post #22673 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean anon View Post

I have two pairs of wool pants that are a smooth worsted wool (gaberdine?). Much like suit pants. These are too dressy for my office

I bought one pair of flat front tweed pants that are great for work but run a bit warm most days.

Is a light weight flannel a good direction to try with these considerations?

Open weave is another pretty good option - or tropical wool. There are trousers of each kind that won't look like half a suit, or won't look too dressy.
post #22674 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

This one's easy - Go for the one that's the better fit on you.

+1. Always, regardless of label.
post #22675 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


If it's to be worn with a pair of black AE Park Avenues, I'm guessing it's more likely to be worn with a suit (or at least with dress trousers), than with a pair of jeans.

So, you want 1" or perhaps 1 1/4". A belt width of 1 1/2" is too wide for a dress belt.
Buy your belt straps at www.beltmaster.com. Not the finest money can buy, but they do represent good value for the price. Purchase your belt buckles separately. Then mix/match as appropriate. After all, a quality belt buckle can last a lifetime. A leather belt strap... probably won't last a lifetime.

Thanks for answering my questions

Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt? I'm thinking 1 1/4" then.

post #22676 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post

Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt?

Nope. smile.gif
post #22677 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post

Thanks for answering my questions

Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt? I'm thinking 1 1/4" then.

 

1" is the standard dress belt size.
post #22678 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post

Thanks for answering my questions
Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt? I'm thinking 1 1/4" then.
Personally 1" is too skinny for my taste.
post #22679 of 30736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post

Thanks for answering my questions
Happy to do it, DrunkenBuddha. After all, that's why SF pays me $150,000 per year, provides me with tons of swag, flew me first class to Corsica to investigate the neckties of the opening stages of the Tour de France, and lets me control the casting couch for the "Girls of StyleForum" calendar, right? (Yeah, like that's happening.)
Quote:
Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt?
Nope. 1 inch is the more or less standard dress belt width. Although a man with a large waist might upsize that slightly. 1 1/8" isn't unheard of, for example. With 1 1/4" being the very uppermost limit.

If a really large man wants even wider than that because a 1 1/4" wide belt looks like he's wearing a length of dental floss about his waist, he's better off forgoing a belt all together, and considering options like side adjusters or suspenders. (Which are arguably superior alternatives to a belt even on a small or medium-sized man.)

Something like a 1 3/4" dress belt is simply an oxymoron. Which leads me to believe that sometime soon, some Hollywood celebrity will show up on an awards show, wearing a 2" wide "dress" belt with his too tight, too short suit. And this will mark the beginning of a trend whereby dress belts will grow to absurd size, much as many wristwatches have grown to what are, by traditional standards, utterly grotesque sizes.
post #22680 of 30736

Hypothetically, let's say 17 inch on the shoulders is the perfect size for me. Would increasing or decreasing 1/4 of an inch make a big difference?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)