or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1504

post #22546 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

necessary to shorten the cuffs a bit to show some sleeves for a casual jacket? 
Yes. smile.gif
post #22547 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosroth View Post

So, I bought this funky 3p suit at this years sale here in Tokyo, and trying to decide if it's worth keeping.

It is too tight in the waist, hence the pulling at the buttoning point, but it's damn pretty, so I'd be loathe to let it go. I'd have a tailor let the waist out an inch or so and see what happens. Or try moving the button over a little too, that would be less invasive.
post #22548 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal View Post


It is too tight in the waist, hence the pulling at the buttoning point, but it's damn pretty, so I'd be loathe to let it go. I'd have a tailor let the waist out an inch or so and see what happens. Or try moving the button over a little too, that would be less invasive.

 

EDIT: I realize now you suggested moving the button sideways, not upwards. Yes, there seems a few millimeters to gain from that. It's so small surgery it's certainly worth trying, thanks!

 

Thanks a lot for the input.

I was thinking about moving the buttoning point as well.

 

The first option would be to have the current buttonhole reweaved and a new one made higher up - the suit came with a large swatch of the fabric it's made of, so there is plenty to reweave with.

 

The second would to have a second buttonhole added higher up, turning it into a 2-button suit. I rather like this option, as it shortens then rather extreme V-zone down a little.

Problem is lapel is cut to roll all the way down to the low button, so adding a 2nd buttonhole higher up would create a slight DB-esque overlap.

 

I'll see what my tailor suggests.

post #22549 of 30360

Getting a little shopping frenzy here....What do you guys think at the $100 dollar price point for a casual jacket?

 

http://www.filson.com/products/oil-finish-cover-cloth-black-weekender-coat.10126.html#pr-header-10126

post #22550 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

Getting a little shopping frenzy here....What do you guys think at the $100 dollar price point for a casual jacket?

http://www.filson.com/products/oil-finish-cover-cloth-black-weekender-coat.10126.html#pr-header-10126

I think that jacket is pretty awesome and I'm sad that mediums are sold out.
post #22551 of 30360

Hello, I've just inherited a few of my father's old blazers, and am looking to let down the sleeves a bit. Is it an easy enough job just to take to a department store and have an alternation tailor do for you, or should I get it done by a proper suit tailor instead?

post #22552 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post


I think that jacket is pretty awesome and I'm sad that mediums are sold out.

I read that they run large based on the reviews. So if you don't plan to layer up, maybe you can fit into a small. The chest for small is 38, which is usually a medium for most people. 

post #22553 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezentius View Post

Hello, I've just inherited a few of my father's old blazers, and am looking to let down the sleeves a bit. Is it an easy enough job just to take to a department store and have an alternation tailor do for you, or should I get it done by a proper suit tailor instead?

Depends if the buttons need to be moved so it doesn't look dumb after the lengthening. Just my opinion.
post #22554 of 30360

Most probably yes; I'm a size 52 OTR, but these blazers (wonderful as they are) are size 50 yet fit me perfectly, except at the sleeves which are much too short. I assume that I'll be using up pretty much all of the material remaining (and even that might not be enough), and the buttons will have to be moved. 

post #22555 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezentius View Post

Most probably yes; I'm a size 52 OTR, but these blazers (wonderful as they are) are size 50 yet fit me perfectly, except at the sleeves which are much too short. I assume that I'll be using up pretty much all of the material remaining (and even that might not be enough), and the buttons will have to be moved. 

There may likely be a wear line from where the previous end of sleeve was.

Anyone know who made the Benchmade in England shoos for Polo?
post #22556 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowKING View Post

What payment methods are accepted on Styeforums.net and when buying exotic leather such as croc/gator leather good that are being shipped to USA, should a US Wild Fish & Wild life permit be filled out or have the seller mark as embossed leather?


Payment methods depend on the seller. If you're buying from overseas, PayPal regular/business/non-gift payment with your verified address is probably the best way to go. (It's also against the rules for a seller to ask for a 'gift' payment).

Just be sure to read the rules posted at the top of the classifieds pages.
post #22557 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post

Anyone know who made the Benchmade in England shoos for Polo?
Crockett & Jones makes some.
post #22558 of 30360

For my wedding I decided not to go the tux route, as I didn't want to purchase a new one and rentals don't fit me well. I bought a suit from Zara recently from their new collection. It's a charcoal color and I've already had it tailored to my measurements. My question is, how can I make it look as formal as possible for my wedding, but modern at the same time? I purchased a matching vest with it as well. I'm thinking of wearing a white dress shirt with it and a charcoal bow tie. Can I wear the bow tie with the vest, or does that not work? Should I wear the vest with a white shirt and charcoal tie? There are endless options and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Can anyone give me some advice? Our wedding colors are shades of orange, yellow, red, pink, spring colors and she's wearing a traditional white dress. I was also thinking of incorporating our wedding colors in my socks as a solid shade, but don't know how to pair it with the dress shirt and tie/ bow tie.

 

Thanks in advance for the help!

post #22559 of 30360
What color tie works with a burgundy/white Bengal stripe shirt and a gray suit? I thought about a navy with white dots, but I didn't want to look like an American flag (though I guess today would be the day to pull it off).
post #22560 of 30360
Quote:
Originally Posted by FittedXS View Post

For my wedding I decided not to go the tux route, as I didn't want to purchase a new one and rentals don't fit me well. I bought a suit from Zara recently from their new collection. It's a charcoal color and I've already had it tailored to my measurements. My question is, how can I make it look as formal as possible for my wedding, but modern at the same time? I purchased a matching vest with it as well. I'm thinking of wearing a white dress shirt with it and a charcoal bow tie. Can I wear the bow tie with the vest, or does that not work? Should I wear the vest with a white shirt and charcoal tie? There are endless options and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Can anyone give me some advice? Our wedding colors are shades of orange, yellow, red, pink, spring colors and she's wearing a traditional white dress. I was also thinking of incorporating our wedding colors in my socks as a solid shade, but don't know how to pair it with the dress shirt and tie/ bow tie.

 

Thanks in advance for the help!

 

You have a lot going on here. First off, congrats on the wedding!

 

Second, Zara doesn't make quality suits. If you have some additional $$, I'd suggest getting an MTM suit, since it is, after all, your wedding! If you're in the NYC area there are some great options including vendors here on StyleForum like Andrew Lock, etc. PM for recommendations if you'd like.

 

Third, if you are committed to the Zara suit, definitely opt for a different color tie. Don't have the tie color match your suit color. If your theme is spring colors, go with that instead!

 

Good luck

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)