Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 6:26 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1483post #22231 of 331976/14/13 at 1:57pmpost #22232 of 331976/14/13 at 2:20pmI have a business formal evening event coming up, and I am not sure what to wear. Most on this board seem to recommend a navy suit for evening, and black shoes for evening. However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny. I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?post #22233 of 331976/14/13 at 2:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by GuP
Looking for versatile trousers. Wanted to get different shades of gray, beige, and some others that go well with almost all outfits. Hugo boss sharp fit me well, but I am having trouble deciding which colors to get from nordstrom sale. Which colors from the following would be ideal/versatile?
Solid trousers will be much more versatile than anything patterned.post #22234 of 331976/14/13 at 2:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I have a business formal evening event coming up, and I am not sure what to wear. Most on this board seem to recommend a navy suit for evening, and black shoes for evening. However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny. I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?
Black shoes are 100% fine with a navy suit.
I would go solid navy suit, solid white shirt, black/white tie, and black shoes. Youll be better dressed than anyone there.post #22235 of 331976/14/13 at 2:39pm
When is the best time to stock up on Extra slim fit BB dress shirts for the lowest or close to the lowest price possible? Just looking for some staple items - white and blue dress shirts. I heard there's a deal on the 17th in regards to dress shirts. What's the best way to claim my size before it runs out? I'm a 14.5/32. Go to the store or wait for the deal to go live on 6/17?post #22236 of 331976/14/13 at 2:41pm
Black shoes are more formal, and it's a relatively formal event, so go for it. To be clear, there used to be a "rule" that brown shoes were unsuitable for business and suits, which was officially terminated about fifteen years ago. But black is still more formal and therefore safer than brown, and with brown, the lighter you go the less formal you get.
So, blue suit, black shoes it is. What colour shirt? White is OK, light blue is nicer. And I'd go with the burgundy tie - perfect. Add a white pocket square too.post #22237 of 331976/14/13 at 2:54pmThanks for the advice.
As for brown shoes, I have no problem with them for business, as I usually wear brown to work. My main objection is that they aren't appropriate for evening.
I almost always wear blue shirts, but I was thinking white since it is evening.
I do own a PoW check tie, though it is not black but navy. It is very dark though, so it looks black.post #22238 of 331976/14/13 at 3:01pmQuote:I suspect just as many recommend a grey suit, as recommend a navy suit.
But yes, light colored shoes are mostly for daytime. Not nighttime. Same way that light colored suits are mostly for daytime, not nighttime.Quote:Those who maintain that one should never wear black shoes with a navy suit, are every bit as foolish as those who maintain that black shoes are mandatory with a navy suit.However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
However, if you really don't want to wear a navy suit and black shoes at night, go ahead and wear a grey suit and black shoes, instead. Problem solved.Quote:That's a perfectly reasonable choice, but it's not the only choice.Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny.Quote:I'd prefer burgundy or navy, to black, although a black tie with a navy suit isn't necessarily an awful choice. And a grenadine is fine, although (again) it's just one possibility and certainly not the only possibility.I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?post #22239 of 331976/14/13 at 3:07pmQuote:If you wear a navy suit, and a blue shirt, I'd recommend avoiding the navy tie. Because that's a whole lotta blue you'd have going for you.
In fact, if you wear the navy suit, wear the white (or, better still in my opinion, ecru) shirt. Personally, I'm not wild about navy suits worn with blue shirts, but if the blue is very pale (which it should be, in a dress shirt) it can look okay. I just don't think it's the best possible choice with a navy suit, most of the time.Quote:Whether it seems black or not, it's probably a perfectly reasonable choice.I do own a PoW check tie, though it is not black but navy. It is very dark though, so it looks black.post #22240 of 331976/14/13 at 7:01pmpost #22241 of 331976/14/13 at 7:12pmpost #22242 of 331976/14/13 at 9:24pmpost #22243 of 331976/15/13 at 1:53ampost #22244 of 331976/15/13 at 4:38ampost #22245 of 331976/15/13 at 1:03pmHi,
I recently removed a stitched on path/crest from the chest pocket of my blazer. Now there's small indentations, and a few slightly larger holes where the stitches were.
Fabric is navy hopsack wool
What can I do to fix this?
Please see picture below:
Edited by rdstour - 6/15/13 at 2:50pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › New Tie - What to wear with it? 6 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 6 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...