Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 11:36 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1483post #22231 of 330206/14/13 at 1:57pmpost #22232 of 330206/14/13 at 2:20pmI have a business formal evening event coming up, and I am not sure what to wear. Most on this board seem to recommend a navy suit for evening, and black shoes for evening. However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny. I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?post #22233 of 330206/14/13 at 2:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by GuP
Looking for versatile trousers. Wanted to get different shades of gray, beige, and some others that go well with almost all outfits. Hugo boss sharp fit me well, but I am having trouble deciding which colors to get from nordstrom sale. Which colors from the following would be ideal/versatile?
Solid trousers will be much more versatile than anything patterned.post #22234 of 330206/14/13 at 2:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I have a business formal evening event coming up, and I am not sure what to wear. Most on this board seem to recommend a navy suit for evening, and black shoes for evening. However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny. I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?
Black shoes are 100% fine with a navy suit.
I would go solid navy suit, solid white shirt, black/white tie, and black shoes. Youll be better dressed than anyone there.post #22235 of 330206/14/13 at 2:39pm
When is the best time to stock up on Extra slim fit BB dress shirts for the lowest or close to the lowest price possible? Just looking for some staple items - white and blue dress shirts. I heard there's a deal on the 17th in regards to dress shirts. What's the best way to claim my size before it runs out? I'm a 14.5/32. Go to the store or wait for the deal to go live on 6/17?post #22236 of 330206/14/13 at 2:41pm
Black shoes are more formal, and it's a relatively formal event, so go for it. To be clear, there used to be a "rule" that brown shoes were unsuitable for business and suits, which was officially terminated about fifteen years ago. But black is still more formal and therefore safer than brown, and with brown, the lighter you go the less formal you get.
So, blue suit, black shoes it is. What colour shirt? White is OK, light blue is nicer. And I'd go with the burgundy tie - perfect. Add a white pocket square too.post #22237 of 330206/14/13 at 2:54pmThanks for the advice.
As for brown shoes, I have no problem with them for business, as I usually wear brown to work. My main objection is that they aren't appropriate for evening.
I almost always wear blue shirts, but I was thinking white since it is evening.
I do own a PoW check tie, though it is not black but navy. It is very dark though, so it looks black.post #22238 of 330206/14/13 at 3:01pmQuote:I suspect just as many recommend a grey suit, as recommend a navy suit.
But yes, light colored shoes are mostly for daytime. Not nighttime. Same way that light colored suits are mostly for daytime, not nighttime.Quote:Those who maintain that one should never wear black shoes with a navy suit, are every bit as foolish as those who maintain that black shoes are mandatory with a navy suit.However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
However, if you really don't want to wear a navy suit and black shoes at night, go ahead and wear a grey suit and black shoes, instead. Problem solved.Quote:That's a perfectly reasonable choice, but it's not the only choice.Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny.Quote:I'd prefer burgundy or navy, to black, although a black tie with a navy suit isn't necessarily an awful choice. And a grenadine is fine, although (again) it's just one possibility and certainly not the only possibility.I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?post #22239 of 330206/14/13 at 3:07pmQuote:If you wear a navy suit, and a blue shirt, I'd recommend avoiding the navy tie. Because that's a whole lotta blue you'd have going for you.
In fact, if you wear the navy suit, wear the white (or, better still in my opinion, ecru) shirt. Personally, I'm not wild about navy suits worn with blue shirts, but if the blue is very pale (which it should be, in a dress shirt) it can look okay. I just don't think it's the best possible choice with a navy suit, most of the time.Quote:Whether it seems black or not, it's probably a perfectly reasonable choice.I do own a PoW check tie, though it is not black but navy. It is very dark though, so it looks black.post #22240 of 330206/14/13 at 7:01pmpost #22241 of 330206/14/13 at 7:12pmpost #22242 of 330206/14/13 at 9:24pmpost #22243 of 330206/15/13 at 1:53ampost #22244 of 330206/15/13 at 4:38ampost #22245 of 330206/15/13 at 1:03pmHi,
I recently removed a stitched on path/crest from the chest pocket of my blazer. Now there's small indentations, and a few slightly larger holes where the stitches were.
Fabric is navy hopsack wool
What can I do to fix this?
Please see picture below:
Edited by rdstour - 6/15/13 at 2:50pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 7 seconds ago
- › Thoughts on the Sartorialist 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 13 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 14 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 15 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 18 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 22 minutes ago
- › WTS: SuitSupply Napoli 36S 22 minutes ago
- › Trying to find cargo pants 23 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 32 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding