or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1466

post #21976 of 30174
Hey guys, just had the heel on a pair of Allen Edmonds fixed up. The rubber was coming off on both heels, so I took them to my cobbler to get that replaced.When I got home, as I was putting them away I noticed the shoes are extremely unbalanced. When the heel is flat, the soles are off the ground, and when the soles are flat on the ground, only the very front of the heel is touching the ground. See the pictures below for what I mean. And this is with shoe trees in the shoes.

This isn't supposed to happen right? I'm planning on taking them back to the guy to have him figure it out, but I wanted to make sure I'm not being overly anal first.


post #21977 of 30174

I have a suit pant that I want to re-cut. It's a slim fit pant that fits me quite well but I want it to be skinny, not just slim fit. Is it possible to take it to a tailor and specify how you want the pant to be re-cut? What tailors would you recommend? I am willing to pay up to $300 for it. 

post #21978 of 30174

I signed up on this site to ask you fashion experts if you can pinpoint the brand/model of this black jacket:

 

 

Pictured above is what Andrew Garfield wore in the movie "The Social Network". If anyone can pinpoint the make of this jacket I would reeally appreciate it. I really like the look of it.

post #21979 of 30174
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post

I have a suit pant that I want to re-cut. It's a slim fit pant that fits me quite well but I want it to be skinny, not just slim fit. Is it possible to take it to a tailor and specify how you want the pant to be re-cut? What tailors would you recommend? I am willing to pay up to $300 for it. 

I've had the legs slimmed for $20 at a good tailor (make sure they slim both seams on each leg). The waist, seat and rise can also be made "skinny" for not much more.
post #21980 of 30174
This is my first shirt I have purchased at proper cloth, I am about to send it back for the alterations I can get, but am not quite sure what measurement to change to fix this. I was thinking to narrow the yolk, which would bring in the shoulders, and reduce the material there that folds over. Does this seem right? The chest measurement cannot go any smaller, as it is just large enough to where it does not pull at the buttons. Thanks for the help in advance!
AppleMark
Edited by drjsl22 - 6/2/13 at 12:57am
post #21981 of 30174

Hi so I just bought my first suit for a wedding and i wanted something slim. I bought an extra slim Bar III suit from macys. The wedding is in less than a week so i had to purchase something fast but when i wore it at home it didnt seem to fit as well as i thought. Any suggestions on altercations or thoughts? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #21982 of 30174
When is the next Paul Stuart sale? I may be able to get the chukka they wouldn't let me exchange for last time. Thanks
post #21983 of 30174

I have a formal event coming up which I have to wear a black suit to (yes, yes, black suits are the devil. I know). In any event, none of my shoes look good with this suit (it's a slim +j wool suit) and I need to buy a new pair today. What shoes tend to look best with black suits? 

 

I'm planning on wearing a white dress shirt and a slim blue tie if that helps, but both are changeable.

post #21984 of 30174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawboneofa View Post

Hey guys, just had the heel on a pair of Allen Edmonds fixed up. The rubber was coming off on both heels, so I took them to my cobbler to get that replaced.When I got home, as I was putting them away I noticed the shoes are extremely unbalanced. When the heel is flat, the soles are off the ground, and when the soles are flat on the ground, only the very front of the heel is touching the ground. See the pictures below for what I mean. And this is with shoe trees in the shoes.

This isn't supposed to happen right? I'm planning on taking them back to the guy to have him figure it out, but I wanted to make sure I'm not being overly anal first. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I am really no expert, but this looks absurd to me.
post #21985 of 30174
I need a couple new dress shirts/pants. Live in Chicago and want to go MTM (Im a pretty slim guy so I feel MTM would be best? My other shirts were made in HK). Which MTM service would you recommend? Modern Tailor, Indochino, etc?

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #21986 of 30174

Hi

First post.

 

I have some questions about wearing a dress for my graduation ceremony in a months time.

 

1 - Does wearing a checked or stripped shirt with black suit  fit the occassion or is it better just wearing a plain shirt ?

2- What kind of tie would suit a checked shirt.

 

Here is the link the shirt i am looking at .

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-traditional-fit-pattern-no-iron-supima-pinpoint-buttondown-dress-shirt~242779_59.html?sku_0=::S97

Color Marine Windowpane

 

Thanks for any reply

post #21987 of 30174

Gentlemen I have quick question.

I have pair of Edward Green Black 5 eyelet derby's on the 606 last. These were given to me by my father and they unfortunately do not fit. I have researched them to the nth degree with no luck.

Found many very similar in looks but none close to these.

 

I assume you would consider them scotch grain, but they are super soft. Softer than any scotch or pebble grain I have EVER felt. They seem to smooth out towards the toes and slightly more patterning towards the heel. I don't know if this was from brushing and care, but I don't think that is the case because I honestly would be surprised if they were ever worn more than 15-20 times.

 

Would love to know the name of the model and approx age. Sent EG an email with no word.

They are marked inside:

10 1/2 / 11E 606

28615

I have pictures of them in my links to items for sale.

 

I would very much appreciate any info you gentlemen might provide for me on this matter.

 

Thank you kindly

Lucas

conleyjl@gmail.com

baldy[1].gif

post #21988 of 30174

Well the derby was a type of hat and the other numbers marked would represent size 10 1/2 to 11 e (would indicate the width of the hat),  A 10 1/2E would be a large head.  Derbys have fallen out of favor with men lately but they re sometimes worn to the office and other dress ocasions.  Derbys are also a type of double edge razor blades, they come in packs of ten each and typically sell for eight cents per blade.

post #21989 of 30174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venser View Post

I have a formal event coming up which I have to wear a black suit to (yes, yes, black suits are the devil. I know). In any event, none of my shoes look good with this suit (it's a slim +j wool suit) and I need to buy a new pair today. What shoes tend to look best with black suits? 

 

I'm planning on wearing a white dress shirt and a slim blue tie if that helps, but both are changeable.


Black shoes, cap toe or sleek plain toe.  What's your price range?

post #21990 of 30174
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post

I have a suit pant that I want to re-cut. It's a slim fit pant that fits me quite well but I want it to be skinny, not just slim fit. Is it possible to take it to a tailor and specify how you want the pant to be re-cut? What tailors would you recommend? I am willing to pay up to $300 for it. 

No one will be able to recommend a tailor unless you ask about a specific city.


You can have pants taken in and I suppose you can have them made skinny- but keep in mind that you will never be able to un-skinny them, so in 2 years when skinny pants are gone (again) you will not want to wear them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)