or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1457

post #21841 of 30601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand View Post

I was just wondering whether if it's excessively loud.
Too loud to wear for business, but just fine for a variety of non-business purposes. I'd keep it.

I phrase my answer this way, as many people regard a suit purely as an "office uniform" (and perhaps the occasional wedding or funeral), so when they ask "Is it too loud?" what they mean is "Is it too loud to wear to work?" Not saying that's what you were asking, just that it's how more than a few people think. And that suit wouldn't be what I'd wear to go on a job interview, or to address the Board, or to attend the deposition of one of the other side's witnesses, or to a funeral, or so on.

Oh, I'll also point out that for various reasons, it's also essentially a daytime suit. I'd be considerably less inclined to wear it in the evening.

But for daytime, wintertime, non-business wear? Looks like a keeper to me.
post #21842 of 30601
I agree- keep and and use it as a weekend suit. I think it will be fine.
post #21843 of 30601

Hello everybody. I'm looking to buy a grenadine tie online, and I ran across a peculiar tie in an old selling thread. I was wondering if it's grenadine. It looks like it is, but I'm not quite sure. Any second thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.
 

post #21844 of 30601

Pretty sure that isn't grenadine. Grenadine fabric is a loose weave produced on special looms from two mills in Italy. These are grenadines (from Sam Hober)

 

grossa

 

fina

 

prometeo

 

piccola

post #21845 of 30601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Pretty sure that isn't grenadine. Grenadine fabric is a loose weave produced on special looms from two mills in Italy. These are grenadines (from Sam Hober)

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

grossa

 

fina

 

prometeo

 

piccola

 

 

 

Great answer Claghorn. 

post #21846 of 30601

Is fact alone that shoes are sewn make them better than glued ones? I've seen kinda inexpensive leather/leather sole, with a inprint inside "hand sewn in Italy".

Shoe is for 125$ was for 200$ before. So is it already a sign of better quality compared with glued shoes or it means nothing?

post #21847 of 30601
In almost all cases sewing > gluing.
post #21848 of 30601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post

In almost all cases sewing > gluing.

that's what my gut tells me as well, thanks:)

post #21849 of 30601

1. What color jackets would match with a pair of navy blue odd trousers?

 

 

2. Is there a method for removing sewn-in collar stays? I recently picked up a dress shirt thrifting that fits me perfectly, but the collar stays are sewn-in. Normally, I would live with that, but I just invested in some brass collar stays, so I'd like to remove them if possible.

post #21850 of 30601

I'd go light grey.  And leave the stays; get some more shirts you can use them in, I'm sure you'll need more than one!

post #21851 of 30601
post #21852 of 30601

Is this tie grenadine? It looks like garza fina or garza piccola. Any second opinions would be appreciated. Thank you
 

 

 

post #21853 of 30601
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

Is fact alone that shoes are sewn make them better than glued ones? I've seen kinda inexpensive leather/leather sole, with a inprint inside "hand sewn in Italy".

Shoe is for 125$ was for 200$ before. So is it already a sign of better quality compared with glued shoes or it means nothing?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post

In almost all cases sewing > gluing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

that's what my gut tells me as well, thanks:)


And gluing means no re-crafting, so your $125 shoe will not last.  A few more buck$ and you can get into a Goodyear welt that can be re-soled and re-heeled many, many times and last a lifetime.  So with that in mind, buy a classic that is not likely to go in and out of fashion. 

post #21854 of 30601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inker19 View Post

1. What color jackets would match with a pair of navy blue odd trousers?

 

 

2. Is there a method for removing sewn-in collar stays? I recently picked up a dress shirt thrifting that fits me perfectly, but the collar stays are sewn-in. Normally, I would live with that, but I just invested in some brass collar stays, so I'd like to remove them if possible.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I'd go light grey.  And leave the stays; get some more shirts you can use them in, I'm sure you'll need more than one!


1. For summer I use a blue/white gingham SC with blue trou. 

 

2. +1 on Mimo's comment.  Leave them and then buy some better shirts that you can accept your brass stays.  Most shirts with built-in stays are not anything special, but if you have a woodner for this shirt you could use cuticle scissors and cut a neat line on on the top of the stay and pull it out, but be aware- if you do this the collar will eventually fall apart in the washer.

post #21855 of 30601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewN View Post

Is this tie grenadine? It looks like garza fina or garza piccola. Any second opinions would be appreciated. Thank you

Doesn't look like it to me. Here is a close up of a grenadine tie


 





New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)