or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1436

post #21526 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

Thank you for the links. The shoes can still go back no problem, so I'll browse those links and delay the new clothes for a few more days/weeks. The problem for me lies in hitting the middle point of too dressy and not dressy enough when it comes to shoes with khakis, and of course the fact I'm coming from wearing skate and walking shoes. I'll post if I have any follow up questions. Thanks again.
If you're going to ask about shoes, you may want to include bigger pictures of the shoes themselves. Personally those shoes are too square (literally) for me. It should not be terribly difficult to find loafers that are similar, but more rounded.
post #21527 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglose View Post

If I was looking for a good canvas messenger bag to take back and forth to class with a 17" laptop and a few books where would be a good place to start? I also considered leather but then thought of how beat up it would get in a dorm and out on campus. Any advice is very much appreciated.

aglose-

Look at http://duluthpack.com/.  I'm a big fan of Saddleback Leather, but if you are looking for canvas these guys make a good bag. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post


Go to Marshall's and pick through the ties to find a Brooks Brothers irregular tie. It'll probably about $15, but it will be better than any other $15 tie you will find.

He's in the UK, so I'm not sure if they have Marshall's. 

post #21528 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Brand new member here and I'm currently changing my wardrobe and style for the workplace. My work is very relaxed and I wore jeans and polo shirts for 6 years (I have no face to face customer interaction), but over the past while others have started dressing nicer, leaving me as one of the few that still dresses in casual clothing.

 

The change will only be to khakis, with jeans sometimes and button down shirts as below. With a belt of course.

 

 

My question has to do with shoes. Ignoring the clothing worn in the following pictures, what are your thoughts on the shoes? Mainly are they too long/pointy?

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for any help. 

 

 

 

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to greet you with bad news, but those shoes are bad.  Square toe shoes are a vestige of the .com bubble. 

Sorry man, but I'd look for something else.

post #21529 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to greet you with bad news, but those shoes are bad.  Square toe shoes are a vestige of the .com bubble. 
Sorry man, but I'd look for something else.

+1. Shoes are horrid and the shirt is too big. But your first attempt is a lot better than many others' attempts, so don't be discouraged.
post #21530 of 31221
After I looked at all the awesome bags and awesome suggestions posted here I found a problem with almost all of them. I am pretty certain I will get this laptop http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-314-001
Which is a 17 inch laptop so will be hard to store in any of these bags except the Shed from mission Workshop. Also any other laptops that someone on here could suggest would be welcome.
post #21531 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

Thank you for the links. The shoes can still go back no problem, so I'll browse those links and delay the new clothes for a few more days/weeks. The problem for me lies in hitting the middle point of too dressy and not dressy enough when it comes to shoes with khakis, and of course the fact I'm coming from wearing skate and walking shoes. I'll post if I have any follow up questions. Thanks again.

Tan leather shoes are a great option with khakis if you want to look neat but not too formal, so you defniitely have the right idea.

This would be ideal, imo (AE Delray):

post #21532 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrone View Post


They are a massive ripoff.
post #21533 of 31221

Tried to post as a new thread but didn't get any traction, so hopefully I'll get better luck here. 

 

Does anyone have any info/sight on Barker Custom Grade shoes? Most of the threads here mention Barker Blacks or sometimes the Barker Handcrafted line but nothing on the Custom Grade. I'd sincerely appreciate any info!

post #21534 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglose View Post

After I looked at all the awesome bags and awesome suggestions posted here I found a problem with almost all of them. I am pretty certain I will get this laptop http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-314-001
Which is a 17 inch laptop so will be hard to store in any of these bags except the Shed from mission Workshop. Also any other laptops that someone on here could suggest would be welcome.

Are you sure you need a 17 inch laptop? I mean, the extra screen space is nice, but 7.5lbs of weight gets tiring really fast. I have also studied computer science, and I know it can mean many things these days, but most of the time, you just need your laptop to write code and you can do that on a 13 inch laptop without problems. I wouldn't carry more than say 4.5lbs laptop daily.

 

But if you insist on this laptop, my suggestion would be to just get a backpack for college. Just don't wear it with any kind of tailored jackets and you'll be fine :)

post #21535 of 31221
Just got a new suit (my first 'proper' suit) and I don't feel it hugs me as i'd like it to, especially at the shoulders. If the shoulders are too wide, is that easily fixed? Will it be costly?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy a suit for a £300 budget that would fit a skinny guy with narrow shoulders? The suit I've just received is a size 34 from SuitSupply.

Thanks
post #21536 of 31221
If yo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglose View Post

If I was looking for a good canvas messenger bag to take back and forth to class with a 17" laptop and a few books where would be a good place to start? I also considered leather but then thought of how beat up it would get in a dorm and out on campus. Any advice is very much appreciated.
if you have the budget I would swear by bag jack. They're pretty pricey but look great and very sturdy. Plus insanely customizable (they make ACRONYMs bag range and while their standard gear isn't quite as sexy but also doesn't carry the $1000 price tag). Also I've had mine over a year now, used almost every day and dragged across America, Spain, and Sweden as my day pack and it still looks like new after one go through the washer.
post #21537 of 31221
A cheaper alternative would be cote el ciel. They are kinda ubiquitous nowadays though.
post #21538 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennree View Post

Just got a new suit (my first 'proper' suit) and I don't feel it hugs me as i'd like it to, especially at the shoulders. If the shoulders are too wide, is that easily fixed? Will it be costly?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy a suit for a £300 budget that would fit a skinny guy with narrow shoulders? The suit I've just received is a size 34 from SuitSupply.

Thanks

Unfortunately not--you can't really alter the shoulders.

If you post pics in the Tailor's Fit Feedback thread, folks there can help you decide if it fits.
post #21539 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post


Tan leather shoes are a great option with khakis if you want to look neat but not too formal, so you defniitely have the right idea.

This would be ideal, imo (AE Delray):
 

 

Good call.  The ones in the OP's picture need to be dissolved in acid and stored underground for future civilisations to fear.

 

The Delray is a nice shape, although some Allen Edmonds shoes I find a little dull and depressing.  Read around this forum about the wonders of Carmina, Vass, and a dozen other names you might not yet have heard, and check out the traditional English brands in (at least some of their ranges) the same price range as AE: Cheaney, Crockett & Jones, Barker, Grenson, Church's (although not much loved on SF these days).  Loake are very good value as a starting point.  The last shapes of all of these tend to be a bit more stylish than AE, but I wear AE too, so just find what you love.  And then run it by us, because your first choice sucked smelly cock. :)

post #21540 of 31221
AE is my current go-to brand b/c

- they are crazy affordable on sale (under $200 per pair) and imo super value-for-$$$
- they might look like shit next to a C&J but they look better than 95% of what others are wearing. My black park avenues are still my go-to shoes for any important functions/events after 3 years of use.

Maybe meermin might come close, although i'm not in the market for new shoes right now. My next might be shoes from a local cobbler: http://edetal.sg/?post_type=product

Prices in SGD, so im guessing USD 250 or so with shippng.

also can anyone answer my previous q?
Quote:
Is there a source of well-priced ties to start my tie wardrobe? All I have is one 2.5" navy repp and a 2.5" cotton knit grenadine from Muji. I did go through thetiebar but heard differing reviews on their items.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)