or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1409

post #21121 of 30126

Definitely get navy first. If you search for "black suits", you'll get many heated discussions, but the prevailing opinion will be to just don't do that.

 

You didn't write where you are located, but take a look at the recommendations above (Suitsupply and the suit quality thread for options). How fast do you need your suit? It is always risky to recommend a new operation like that when there is no previous experience. IMHO, a safer and faster option would be to just get a decent RTW first, especially if you are not a difficult body type to fit - you can see what you are getting. Once you already have your first suit, you will be in better position to experiment with custom operations like that.

post #21122 of 30126
I'm a big guy. I was wondering if Clarks Desert Boots would fit a big build and what colour? Any suggestions?
post #21123 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

Can someone recommend a brand for a quality balmoral/oxford, or even a blucher, that is $200 or under, preferably? I prefer smooth/wholecut (i.e no caps, wingtips, etc). They dont need to be the best shoes ever, just to hold me over as an entry shoe into the workforce until I can buy myself a proper shoe. I would prefer a shoe that doesnt have the large, chunky rubber sole that my current Eccos do and maintains a classy profile.

 

Thanks for your time!

While I risk looking like a PutThisOn-bot, I find their list of affordable brands quite exhaustive: http://putthison.com/post/43010205853/finding-affordable-shoes-shoes-may-or-may-not-be

post #21124 of 30126
Looking for my first suit;

Should I go MTM or somewhere like Suit Supply? Is there a big difference?

For MTM I've been looking at Thick as Thieves in LA, who seem to have some great looking suits. I'm in the UK so I'm a little concerned that if there are any issues with the suit I'd have to pay international shipping costs a few times to have stuff rectified.

Anyone in the UK have a suit from TaT and could share their experience? If not, any recommendations for somewhere similar to TaT based in the UK with a similar price range? TaT prices start at $480 / £320 shipped, which is great for MTM (I think).

Thanks
post #21125 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfjotli View Post

Definitely get navy first. If you search for "black suits", you'll get many heated discussions, but the prevailing opinion will be to just don't do that.

You didn't write where you are located, but take a look at the recommendations above (Suitsupply and the suit quality thread for options). How fast do you need your suit? It is always risky to recommend a new operation like that when there is no previous experience. IMHO, a safer and faster option would be to just get a decent RTW first, especially if you are not a difficult body type to fit - you can see what you are getting. Once you already have your first suit, you will be in better position to experiment with custom operations like that.
I,am in the San Francisco / bay area and im not in any hurry to buy a suit. only difficult part is that I am pretty short, 5'6". and should I get dark navy or just navy. Thanks
post #21126 of 30126
Go off the rack. If you don't know exactly what you want, what works for you, and how to judge a well-fitting suit, the possibility for disaster with MTM is huge.

With OTR, you know what you are getting.
post #21127 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by garsag View Post

Where in NYC can can I find a good selection of reasonably priced pocket squares?
Century 21.
post #21128 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilo View Post

Hi all,

As so many others before me, I am now in a job situation where suiting up is required once in a while. I am looking to buy one or two suits in a slim, short cut, preferably dark navy and charcoal. My budget is around 700 - 1000 USD (400 - 600 EUR). I am located in Europe (UK/DK) - so a brand available within the EU would be best.
Could you gives please give me some tips regarding which brands are best bang for the buck?

Definitely search for some Boglioli suits on sale. You can find them for around $400 on sale, if you're lucky. They will be exactly what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Go off the rack. If you don't know exactly what you want, what works for you, and how to judge a well-fitting suit, the possibility for disaster with MTM is huge.

With OTR, you know what you are getting.

+100 to this. Always start with OTR first.
post #21129 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmul View Post

I'm a big guy. I was wondering if Clarks Desert Boots would fit a big build and what colour? Any suggestions?

They're good casual shoes for anybody. And in any color you like, though the beeswax finish seems to be a favorite around here. A tan suede would look great for the summer. I personally wouldn't go with one of the near whites, because it limits you outside the summer, but it's entirely your call. I'm looking at the lineup on amazon, and I don't see anything there I would tell you to avoid.
post #21130 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfjotli View Post

While I risk looking like a PutThisOn-bot, I find their list of affordable brands quite exhaustive: http://putthison.com/post/43010205853/finding-affordable-shoes-shoes-may-or-may-not-be

 

Thank you, that was very helpful! 

 

The only shoe that seems to fit my price range of $200 or less is this one from Charles Tyrwhitt:

 

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shoes/view-all/Black-Oxford-shoes?q=usddefault||ML060BLK|||||||||||||

 

 

 

 

The next closest are these wholecut meermins, in which the subtracted VAT will likely cancel out the shipping charge:

 

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920

 

 

 

or their two models of cap toe:

 

a) http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1925

 

b) http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2033

 

 

I found some pairs of Loake on herringshoes.co.uk for much cheaper, but they were all listed as "polished", which apparently is a euphemism for corrected grain leather and something to avoid. Everything else in leather on their website was out of my price range.

 

 

Can anyone suggest another shoe worth looking at? And what is the difference between the two meermins? It seems they are both on the same last...

post #21131 of 30126

I'm really close to buy some shirts from this eBay store I asked about earlier. I just want to be a 100% sure that they are authentic.

 

Can anyone else confirm that they are authentic and not fake? Has anybody here bought anything from this store and has something to add?

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170910117785?var=470242850242

 

I would really appreciate an answer! smile.gif

post #21132 of 30126
They don't look fake to me, although I'm not an ebay RL expert.
post #21133 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

Thank you, that was very helpful! 

The only shoe that seems to fit my price range of $200 or less is this one from Charles Tyrwhitt:

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shoes/view-all/Black-Oxford-shoes?q=usddefault||ML060BLK|||||||||||||






The next closest are these wholecut meermins, in which the subtracted VAT will likely cancel out the shipping charge:

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920





or their two models of cap toe:

a) http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1925

b) http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2033


I found some pairs of Loake on herringshoes.co.uk for much cheaper, but they were all listed as "polished", which apparently is a euphemism for corrected grain leather and something to avoid. Everything else in leather on their website was out of my price range.


Can anyone suggest another shoe worth looking at? And what is the difference between the two meermins? It seems they are both on the same last...

From what I can see, the difference between the two Meermins is in the stitching, and in the number of eyelets. I slightly prefer model b), simply because the stitching looks more "classic", similar to Edward Green Chelsea for example, IMHO the quintessential black oxford:
d52179af_DSC_0040.jpeg

But, in practice the difference is very small, and both should serve you well.
post #21134 of 30126

1. Charles Tyrwhitt's shoes are also made by Loake.

2. Re. Meermin you might have very long waiting time, but also bear in mind the fees you might be charged in clearance charges and import duty.

 

Edit: just noticed your location in Vienna.  In which case VAT is payable anyway, but no issue on the import.

post #21135 of 30126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

1. Charles Tyrwhitt's shoes are also made by Loake.

2. Re. Meermin you might have very long waiting time, but also bear in mind the fees you might be charged in clearance charges and import duty.

 

Edit: just noticed your location in Vienna.  In which case VAT is payable anyway, but no issue on the import.

 

 

The poster above me is in Vienna, but I am in California. Ive never been charged import duties for buying overseas before, is this something that happens often? And how long is the wait for meermin? Do you have any experience with the way they fit?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)