If your shirt was colored, you could go with a pastel colored tie to take some of the attention away from the jacket / shirt. But because your jacket is a 'power' color and your shirt is white, I would go with a navy blue or a burgundy solid tie or with a subtle stripe so as to complement the 'power' nature of the jacket.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Yesterday at 1:29 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1385post #20761 of 333773/16/13 at 3:23ampost #20762 of 333773/16/13 at 7:33amQuote:Originally Posted by eqcitizen
You arent going to get much love on this forum asking for advice on a black suit. Most would say "burn it and the vest too". As many here will tell you a black suit should be relegated to funerals and not much else. With that disclaimer let us continue on to the question. As a generaliztion one should not mix suits, especially when the colors are extremely close. I can think of a few exceptions but this one doesnt make the list. I am sorry but it just doesnt work. Use the vest under a sport coat that is a different color or, if you want to look like a hipster, wear it with no jacket.
Thanks for the advice. What type of sport coats do you think would work with a black vest under it? Maybe a tan or grey? And what if I wore a matching light grey pants and jacket, with the black vest? Would that work?post #20763 of 333773/16/13 at 8:52ampost #20764 of 333773/16/13 at 10:08ampost #20765 of 333773/16/13 at 1:26pm
Hello, don't know if this is the right place for this newbie question, if not - my apologies.
I'm trying to know what type of fabric this suit is made of? and color would be described as mid-grey i guess?
I really like both the fabric and the color and would like to know what it is and where I could find something similar. Thanks in advance a lot for your help!post #20766 of 333773/16/13 at 6:13pmQuote:Curiosity compels me to ask, which country is this, where a dry cleaner is the nation's largest employer?
I'm not looking to make fun of your country, mind you. It just seems like such a bizarre situation...
Of course, I suppose it could be a situation like what we'd have in the US, were Walmart (the largest non-government employer in the US) to start offering dry cleaning. (I *think* the largest US employer is technically the Department of Defense. Anyone know if they run a dry cleaning service? No, I'm not joking. I could imagine some DoD dry cleaning business which would be found at isolated military bases, at the Pentagon, etc.)
Anyway, there's often no real correlation between a company's size, and the quality of the job it does.post #20767 of 333773/16/13 at 6:23pm
I tried my hand at thrift shopping this weekend. To prepare, I took with me a list of suit brands that are apparently worthwhile. Today, I found this Pal Zileri Gruppo Forall. I thought this might be a good place to find out if this is actually a decent find or if I wasted my money. Thanks in advance for any insight.
post #20768 of 333773/17/13 at 2:13amHi All,
- Despite the pictures, the suit is actually a dark blue.
- There don't seem to be any indications of size.
Can i get your critique on this navy blazer i purchased when in japan last year - i havent been able to wear due to warm weather. i know its not your "traditional" sports blazer, but i love the soft shoulders and slim look of it.
I dont normally wear blazers and just want to get a quick sanity check from you experienced SFers.
thanks !post #20769 of 333773/17/13 at 2:17ampost #20770 of 333773/17/13 at 2:18ampost #20771 of 333773/17/13 at 5:30am
Hi, I'm trying to identify the fabric of this beautiful suit.
Can anyone help me either identify it or the best way to describe this type of fabric/suit?
Colorwise - is this what one calls "Oxford grey"?
Probably newbie questions, but trying to educate myself ;)
Hoping this is the right place for this question..
Thanks in advance :)post #20772 of 333773/17/13 at 8:00ampost #20773 of 333773/17/13 at 8:11ampost #20774 of 333773/17/13 at 7:34pmpost #20775 of 333773/17/13 at 8:12pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 2 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › Patagonia 7 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 8 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 18 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 19 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 20 minutes ago
- › Balenciaga White Arena low size 9/42 27 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway