or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1368

post #20506 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Corn View Post

What are Oxxford's armhole's like in general - high or low?  Also, can they be measured objectively in some way so I can measure mine and ask ebay sellers to do the same for comparison?
Which line?
post #20507 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by icwhp View Post




Thanks, you posted the help while i was in college so only just seen it ;-).

I have the same dilemma with short letters and text messages. Of course it is nice to thank your correspondent. On the other hand by sending a "thank you" message you compel someone to devote his time to opening and reading this plain message, without any useful information in it. Should not thank you be accepted by default? Otherwise, the recipient would feel obliged to say "you are welcome" and then you would need to respond with "thank you again" and who knows where this meaningless exchange of compliments would stop.
post #20508 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

By the way, has anyone noticed how nobody bothers to say "thank you" in this thread?
It would be impolite to stop at hundreds of "Thank you" posts. Good manners dictate that each "Thank you," be responded to with a post saying, "You're welcome."

After all, if we're going to clog the "Ask A Question..." thread, in the name of manners, it would be unforgivable to do so halfway.

Alternatively, we could accept that while manners are undeniably important, some of the traditional rules on saying "Thank you," and "You're welcome," which pre-date the rise of online interaction, may not strictly apply in the context of an extremely active thread on an online forum with numerous participants. (Just as etiquette and manners originally intended to address in person conversation and postal correspondence adapted in various ways to the widespread use of the telephone as a means of communication.)

Naturally, none of this precludes one from sending a private message of thanks, in response to some particularly worthwhile advice. Nor does it suggest that appropriate public follow-up, regarding how advice received influenced how one opted to proceed, is necessarily undesirable.
--
Michael
post #20509 of 30160
I have received thanks in PMs.
post #20510 of 30160

Harvey_Birdman,

 

Thanks, but I was looking for someone to do just alterations in the northern VA area?  I have a tailor that does OK work, but wanted to take the next step up in quality.

 

I am very hard to fit and everything I buy needs pretty heavy alterations.

 

Cheers,

post #20511 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by icwhp View Post

 



Thanks, you posted the help while i was in college so only just seen it ;-).

 

Haha...it was just a general observation; I posted that immediately after I'd replied to your question, it wasn't directed at you!

 

Anyway, yes, points well made above.  I'm just curious how all these questions turn out in the end.

post #20512 of 30160
RE: Thank you...there is a thumbs up feature for that IMO.

Is $175 a good price for a Thomas Mason fabric custom fit linen shirt? Keep in mind I am in Canada where things are a bit more expensive.
post #20513 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post


Which line?

I have no idea, so I'll just link it and risk having it sniped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxxford-Clothes-GRAY-PINSTRIPE-MEN-SUIT-JACKET-SZ-38-S-722-/121072358372?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item1c307993e4

post #20514 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

No, match in tone or shade to the trousers instead: e.g. a khaki or olive woven belt with the chinos, or a straight black belt with the black trousers.

Thank you. This is what I was thinking as the thought of a red toned belt just seemed odd, not that it couldn't work in some situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Nights View Post

Where to buy long, drapey cardigans? Like past my butt long.

That doesn't evoke classic menswear for me. However, to answer your question try Julius or RO.
post #20515 of 30160

Is it acceptable to wear charcoal gray dress pants with a light heather gray cardigan? A lot of gray but of different contrast/shades. I will be wearing black shoes and a white oxford shirt

post #20516 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

Is it acceptable to wear charcoal gray dress pants with a light heather gray cardigan? A lot of gray but of different contrast/shades. I will be wearing black shoes and a white oxford shirt

Depends how dark the charcoal is. If there is enough difference IMO it could work but I would change the white oxford to a pale blue button down.
post #20517 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Corn View Post

I have no idea, so I'll just link it and risk having it sniped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxxford-Clothes-GRAY-PINSTRIPE-MEN-SUIT-JACKET-SZ-38-S-722-/121072358372?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item1c307993e4

Don't bother, that is clearly an orphan suit jacket and will always look as such.
post #20518 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post


Depends how dark the charcoal is. If there is enough difference IMO it could work but I would change the white oxford to a pale blue button down.

The charcoal is like the one below. I also have a pale blue oxford shirt but I thought white would provide better contrast.

 

post #20519 of 30160

I have a sports coat that I feel fits well. The measurements are..

 

 

Pit to pit 21
Sleeves 25.5
Shoulder 18
Length 29.5
 
There's a sports jacket I like.. 
 
Specs:

 

Chest: 22"    
Sleeves: 25.5"    
Shoulders: 19"    
Length: 30"

 

It's possible to get a jacket tailored to these specs if they're purchased with the below, correct? I'm OK with the length being longer. Since the sleeves match perfect, I think the shoulder being an inch wider could droop the sleeves too much.

 

Thanks,


Edited by mrjester - 2/27/13 at 3:51am
post #20520 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

I have a sports coat that I feel fits well. The measurements are..


Pit to pit 21
Sleeves 25.5
Shoulder 18
Length 29.5
 
There's a sports jacket I like.. 
 
Specs:


































Chest: 22"    
Sleeves: 25.5"    
Shoulders: 19"    
Length: 30"


It's possible to get a jacket tailored to these specs if they're purchased with the below, correct? I'm OK with the length being longer. I Since the sleeves match perfect, I think the shoulder being an inch wider could droop the sleeves too much.

Thanks,
It's tough to say without seeing it on you, but the only measurement that matches is for the sleeves, which are the easiest thing to adjust. It is very difficult to adjust the shoulders.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)