or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1357

post #20341 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Well, thank you very much. You know, in my country, people usually wear black outfit to the funeral. But this time I will wear an white shirt.

What country is that?
post #20342 of 30136

I have a pair of AE strands I recently got on ebay. I wore them yesterday but they were painful because there was constant friction between the knuckles of my toes and the vamp of the shoes (the section where the crease would generally form). At the end of the night I had pretty nasty blisters at the knuckles of my big toe on both my feet. 

 

In the park aves though (which are the same last), i have no problem in the same size. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

 

Not sure if I did a good enough job describing the problem, sorry if that's the case. 

post #20343 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bik2101 View Post

I have a pair of AE strands I recently got on ebay. I wore them yesterday but they were painful because there was constant friction between the knuckles of my toes and the vamp of the shoes (the section where the crease would generally form). At the end of the night I had pretty nasty blisters at the knuckles of my big toe on both my feet. 

In the park aves though (which are the same last), i have no problem in the same size. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Not sure if I did a good enough job describing the problem, sorry if that's the case. 

used or new
post #20344 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_umbrella View Post


used or new

used. 

post #20345 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Well, thank you very much. You know, in my country, people usually wear black outfit to the funeral. But this time I will wear an white shirt.

I'd wager that that's just the majority of people being stupid in one of the few times they have to dress nicely rather than any traditional standard.

A white shirt is much more conservative and formal than a black one, which is why you wear it to a funeral. The suit color is what should be black, or at least very dark. Wear the charcoal suit, white shirt, and preferably a plain black tie. If you don't have a plain black tie, a black tie in a very serious and somber pattern. If you don't have that, a dark tie in a conservative color with a serious and somber pattern (navy or burgundy). If you don't have that, buy one.
post #20346 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Need very quick answer, I've got to go to a funeral tomorrow, but no black or charcoal suit is available now (actually, still have one charcoal but old-fashioned). So should I have two options now:

1. Black shirt, no tie (the weather is quite warm). May be a black V-neck sweater, black shirt, black tie.

2. Black coat, black shirt, black tie (with or without a black sweater).

What do you think?

Thank you.


Dark suit, white shirt, black tie.  This is not about your feelings toward your outfit, or about the fit of the suit.  If you don't have proper mourning attire wear something conservative and as dark as you can.  

I was once on vacation visiting my hometown and heard that a friend's grandmother passed away.  I had only summer clothes, so I wore a pair of khakis and a light sweater to the viewing.  I just walked up to the family and told them how sorry I was for their loss and that I was sorry that I didn't have any proper attire with me but that I really wanted to come and pay my respects.

They totally understood and were very grateful that I came. 

post #20347 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

The lapel is odd, looks like a 3 roll 2 buttons, but it's a 2 buttons jacket. It doesn't fit me perfectly either.
Wait, so how can it look like a 3-roll-2 but only have 2 buttons? Does it have 3 button holes?
post #20348 of 30136

If I am going to a career fair wearing dark grey dress pants (not as silky as suit trousers), can I wear an oxford fabric shirt with it? Or should I stick with poplin?

post #20349 of 30136

Thanks for the insight, eqcitizen.

 

Upon closer examination I see that the inside heel reads, "Genuine Cordovan" Within the circle it says, "Created exclusively for ________ shoes". Underneath that it says, "New York - _____".

 

I can'y make out the blank words. The first blank almost looks like it could read "church's" but that's a real stretch of the imagination, it's REALLY faded and in a stylized font. The inside sides are a cordavan leather in color, with the very inside back a black color leather. The heel is the cordavan leather but it's a light tan leather inside sole for the rest of the shoe forward. 

 

I also noticed the numbers written on the inside of the shoes are in gold font rather than the usual black ink.

 

The bottom of the shoe says, "Genuine Cordovan Bench Made" I notice the leather that is showing on the bottoms has the look of Aldens on the edge just inside the stitching. I'm not sure if that's a characteristic of other shoes though.

 

One more characteristic that's missing that I now notice on every other Alden cap toe Blutcher is the stitching line running parallel to the eyelets. Seen here for comparison: 

Mine: 

 

 

I'll call Alden on Monday though to find out for sure.

post #20350 of 30136

I wrote a longish detailed response and lost it somehow after clicking submit post so I'll keep this short. The circle on the inside reads, "Genuine Cordovan made exclusively for ____ shoes  new york - ____"

 

I dont know what the blanks are but the first one almost looks like, "Church's" in a very stylized font. It's a real stretch of the imagination though... 

 

 

I'll call Alden on Monday.

 

Thanks for your insight, Eqcitizen.

post #20351 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


I don't know about you but I always keep a rag in my car for checking the oil when I fill up. How boss would it be to have a Burberry oil rag? Think about it.

I have to admit to a weakness to all things described as "boss." It is just a great adjective when used properly.

post #20352 of 30136
Quote:
What country is that?

In Asia, it's Viet nam. Somewhere around, for example, Hong Kong is the same.

 

 

Quote:
A white shirt is much more conservative and formal than a black one, which is why you wear it to a funeral

 

 

Quote:
Dark suit, white shirt, black tie

Thank you so much, I've wore an white shirt, plain black tie and a black coat to the funeral (as I don't have any black or charcoal suit, just some navy and blue) and I think it's very appropriate.

 

 

Quote:
Wait, so how can it look like a 3-roll-2 but only have 2 buttons? Does it have 3 button holes?

I don't know whether I'm correct or not when describing the look of that suit, but it's a 2 button holes suit, maybe the old style. I'll post a pic of this old jacket later.

post #20353 of 30136

I just bought a Hickey Freeman sports shirt on sale that originally retailed for $125. While I liked the fit and the design enough, I started having second thought about the shirt's quality after noticing the double needle stitching along the sleeves.

 

 

 

 

I have no difficulty wearing a nice shirt with double needle seams, but honestly I expected better from both the brand and the retail price. What are your thoughts on this?

post #20354 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


I'd wager that that's just the majority of people being stupid in one of the few times they have to dress nicely rather than any traditional standard.

A white shirt is much more conservative and formal than a black one, which is why you wear it to a funeral. The suit color is what should be black, or at least very dark. Wear the charcoal suit, white shirt, and preferably a plain black tie. If you don't have a plain black tie, a black tie in a very serious and somber pattern. If you don't have that, a dark tie in a conservative color with a serious and somber pattern (navy or burgundy). If you don't have that, buy one.

 

I beg to differ. You have to take local cultural norms into perspective here. In Vietnam, wearing dark to funerals is a must. No-one tries to 'dress nicely' or 'more conservatively' at a funeral; people are simply supposed to wear dark, and that's that.

The OP might have worn a black suit, white shirt and black tie to the funeral and nobody called him out for it, but honestly, that looked like the outfit you would wear to a wedding in Vietnam. Taboo.

post #20355 of 30136
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post


Wait, so how can it look like a 3-roll-2 but only have 2 buttons? Does it have 3 button holes?

Well, I'm lazy to take a photo of my suit so I take this pic from this forum (it's not my suit jacket, but the lapel of my suit jacket looks like this one). So. if I'm not correct in describing my suit looks like 3 roll 2 buttons, please forgive me and correct my mistake.

 

(The suit above is described as 2 buttons front)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)