How long does it take a new, leather soled calf shoe to break in? Have a shoe (AE) that is tight and am wondering how long I can expect before it loosens up (or doesn't because I have the wrong size)?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 8:59 am in Classic Menswear
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 4:56 am in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 3/15/15 at 11:12am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 8:24 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on Yesterday at 12:03 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1352
Styleforum Top Pickspost #20267 of 305152/12/13 at 7:29pmpost #20268 of 305152/12/13 at 7:37pm
Does anyone know whether Carmina shoes are made with a steel shank? I ask because they are allegedly much lighter in weight than other high-end shoes, e.g., Aldens. In a detailed description of the manufacturing process on its website, Carmina does not mention the use of a steel shank. The lack of one would be a deal-breaker for me.
Edited by Barrister - 2/12/13 at 7:50pmpost #20269 of 305152/12/13 at 7:46pmQuote:
I have three pairs of AEs, in my normal size, on three different lasts, and they're all too tight in the toe box. I have tried several stretching methods, but none has worked. I have heard others voice the same complaint about AE. On its website, AE states that its shoes will not stretch significantly. I can believe it.post #20270 of 305152/12/13 at 7:47pmQuote:The notion of shoes breaking in, while certainly not complete nonsense, does tend to be a much more modest and subtle thing than most people think.
In general, new shoes should fit properly right from the start. If they are too small for comfort at the start, it's likely that they'll never break in to the point where they become comfortable. Oh, if a shoe is slightly uncomfortable due to it rubbing against part of your foot a little, breaking in may remedy this. But if the shoe is simply too tight, breaking in is unlikely to fix the problem.
Some exceptions exist - particularly with regard to certain types of boots. But they're just that - exceptions to the rule.
As for how long it takes to break in a new pair of shoes, I'd imagine that this varies from shoe to shoe, and from person to person. But my guess would be that after a half dozen wears, you're probably a good 80% of the way toward all the breaking in you're going to get.
However, I would add that if the shoe is slightly too small, it's usually possible to have the shoe stretched a bit. Not a huge amount, but something on the close order of half a size is often within reason.post #20271 of 305152/12/13 at 8:36pmpost #20272 of 305152/12/13 at 9:50pm
Can anyone recommend me some new OCBD shirts. Been wearing mostly Jcrew. Any other brands out there that fit like that and are decently price?
Anything besides Uniqlo. I wear a M in Jcrew but in uniqlo i have to wear a L everything fits but its super long. no bueno.
Any other brands i should try? Thanks.post #20273 of 305152/13/13 at 4:46am
I travel quite frequently for work, carrying just a carry-on, and have become skilled at living off it up to 2 wks (only trick is doing laundry once in between!) My second post after the introductory one is quite practical for me - can you recommend some good quality travel gear that I can use to better pack shirts, underwear/socks, etc. etc.?post #20274 of 305152/13/13 at 4:51ampost #20275 of 305152/13/13 at 4:52ampost #20276 of 305152/13/13 at 6:35ampost #20277 of 305152/13/13 at 6:35ampost #20278 of 305152/13/13 at 6:37ampost #20279 of 305152/13/13 at 6:50am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Kent Wang Fresco 520 Size 38 Blazer 30 seconds ago
- › Oscar Hunt Tailors - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 2 minutes ago
- › Brands cut like Tom Ford? 2 minutes ago
- › Is your wardrobe more expensive than your car? 3 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Gallery Contest - Classic menswear scorekeeper thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 7 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Caliber India Varsity Letterman Jackets and...
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan