or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1341

post #20101 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheloniusDrunk View Post

Anyone know a place in London that sells Saphir suede cleaner and waterproofer?

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/
post #20102 of 30966

Hi!

 

i have newer owned a threebuttoned sportcoat before soi am not shure how to button the buttons. So my question is, how many buttons should i button?

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTI1YTAyYjgwNTBlYWY4OWVhYmFjOTA1MTA5NjJlOWM4MDgxfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1tc2hpNDY1OXx8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9MS8zMC8xMyA1OjIyIFBNProcessed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTU1YTAzMjUwNGY2Y2U4ZDEyNjFkNjA1MTA5NjJmOTQ4NDI3fHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1tc2hpNDY1OXx8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9Mi8zLzEzIDQ6MTUgQU0=

 

post #20103 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by argerg22 View Post

Hi!

 

i have newer owned a threebuttoned sportcoat before soi am not shure how to button the buttons. So my question is, how many buttons should i button?

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTI1YTAyYjgwNTBlYWY4OWVhYmFjOTA1MTA5NjJlOWM4MDgxfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1tc2hpNDY1OXx8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9MS8zMC8xMyA1OjIyIFBNProcessed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTU1YTAzMjUwNGY2Y2U4ZDEyNjFkNjA1MTA5NjJmOTQ4NDI3fHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1tc2hpNDY1OXx8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9Mi8zLzEzIDQ6MTUgQU0=

 


I only button the middle on mine.

post #20104 of 30966
Middle or upper two, your choice.
post #20105 of 30966
Is there an OTR maker of fresco suits? The MTM makers I have tried so far don't seem familiar with fresco fabric. I am not hard to fit OTR, so would consider going this way.
post #20106 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDND2012 View Post

I'm thinking of adding a Navy cotton suit to my wardrobe for summertime.  Mostly for daytime warm weather weddings.  I'd be looking to get one made to measure I think.  My questions:

1) Is cotton a major pain to keep wrinkle free/travel with?
2) Is it significantly cooler than wool?
2) Any ideas where to look for a slim cut made to measure at a reasonable price? I live in Canada

 

Cotton suits are great but casual. They will not be suitable for formal weddings. Cotton comes in many weights and guises, some will wrinkle more than others. All will wrinkle though - so don't buy it if wrinkles are going to bother you. Sometimes cotton can wear surprisingly warm, more so than wool (which, in looser weaves, tends to be more breathable). If you're concerned about heat, I would go for linen over cotton. I would also consider a linen suit slightly more formal than cotton too, so may be more versatile for wedding purposes (though only slightly). Obviously, linen will wrinkle, but that's part of its charm.

Personally, I consider cotton a good cloth for causal spring/autumn suits.
post #20107 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post

Middle or upper two, your choice.


would you say that this is a 2 1/2 buttoning?

post #20108 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Cotton suits are great but casual. They will not be suitable for formal weddings. Cotton comes in many weights and guises, some will wrinkle more than others. All will wrinkle though - so don't buy it if wrinkles are going to bother you. Sometimes cotton can wear surprisingly warm, more so than wool (which, in looser weaves, tends to be more breathable). If you're concerned about heat, I would go for linen over cotton. I would also consider a linen suit slightly more formal than cotton too, so may be more versatile for wedding purposes (though only slightly). Obviously, linen will wrinkle, but that's part of its charm.

Personally, I consider cotton a good cloth for causal spring/autumn suits.

Yeah, but perfect for the typical daytime summer wedding. You're in the UK, where weddings are often a good deal more formal than they are on this side of the pond, so that's an understandable mistake, but in the US and Canada, daytime summer weddings are the realm of seersucker with bowties, cotton and linen suits, navy blazers and khakis. Coat and tie, but fun and well, summery.
post #20109 of 30966

From top down, sometimes, always, never.

post #20110 of 30966

I went to the Banana Republic outlet store and I bought some mereno wool v-neck sweaters yesterday. I've never worn v-necks before so my question is are they supposed to make you look chubby ? I'm a pretty slim guy but I look kind of fat in those sweaters. 

post #20111 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark24 View Post

I went to the Banana Republic outlet store and I bought some mereno wool v-neck sweaters yesterday. I've never worn v-necks before so my question is are they supposed to make you look chubby ? I'm a pretty slim guy but I look kind of fat in those sweaters. 

I bought a couple of their same v-necks about a year and a half ago, and ended up having to get them all taken in at the sides by an alterationist - they are surprisingly not very slim fit on the body right off the rack. 

post #20112 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark24 View Post

I went to the Banana Republic outlet store and I bought some mereno wool v-neck sweaters yesterday. I've never worn v-necks before so my question is are they supposed to make you look chubby ? I'm a pretty slim guy but I look kind of fat in those sweaters. 

This is why you try things on before you buy them.

Also, if you're taking in BR sweaters, you should be spending money elsewhere.

Suggested steps for RTW shopping:

1 - find something you like
2 - try it on
3 - decide if it fits
if yes, proceed to step 5
if no, proceed to step 4
4 - put it back, return to step 1
5 - purchase and enjoy
post #20113 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark24 View Post

I went to the Banana Republic outlet store and I bought some mereno wool v-neck sweaters yesterday. I've never worn v-necks before so my question is are they supposed to make you look chubby ? I'm a pretty slim guy but I look kind of fat in those sweaters. 

The body of the sweater is what matters there, not the neck. Banana republic pretends to be hip and stylish, but most of their stuff has the same crappy, overly generous cut designed to ensure their clothes fit fat people pretending they can still fit into a medium that a lot of mall brands suffer from.
post #20114 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


Yeah, but perfect for the typical daytime summer wedding. You're in the UK, where weddings are often a good deal more formal than they are on this side of the pond, so that's an understandable mistake, but in the US and Canada, daytime summer weddings are the realm of seersucker with bowties, cotton and linen suits, navy blazers and khakis. Coat and tie, but fun and well, summery.

Oh we have plenty of casual weddings like you describe too (though you won't see many bow ties and seersucker isn't a thing over here). I was just pointing out that it's not suitable for the more formal types, in case he was unaware. I still think linen would be a little more versatile, and also cooler.
post #20115 of 30966
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Oh we have plenty of casual weddings like you describe too (though you won't see many bow ties and seersucker isn't a thing over here). I was just pointing out that it's not suitable for the more formal types, in case he was unaware. I still think linen would be a little more versatile, and also cooler.

Fair enough, though the cooler depends on the exact choice of fabric. Since he's getting one MTM, he would be able to ask and pick out a cotton that's not too tightly woven. Of course, if he wanted to go with something like a lighter weight cotton twill, it wouldn't wear quite as cool, but it would also range nicely into spring and fall, but still wear cooler than a lot of the fairly tightly woven wool suiting on the market these days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)