or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1326

post #19876 of 31155

Hi there, what is the strip of fabric/ribbon that comes in the pants pocket of expensive suits (its about half an inch thick and maybe 3 feet long)? possibly expensive pants too? Ive had this a few times. Thanks in advance for the help.

post #19877 of 31155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceK View Post

Hi there, what is the strip of fabric/ribbon that comes in the pants pocket of expensive suits (its about half an inch thick and maybe 3 feet long)? possibly expensive pants too? Ive had this a few times. Thanks in advance for the help.

 

It's hem tape to reinforce and weight the pant hems.

post #19878 of 31155
Been looking everywhere for this with no perfect fit: I'm trying to find a grey suede derby shoes with a standard, brown leather sole. Like bucks but with the kind of brown sole you'd see on a typical brown dress shoe rather than red brick or some other plastic looking thing.

The Grenson Finlay is a near fit but it has this odd contrasting trim between the sole and the upper.

Any ideas?
post #19879 of 31155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post

Been looking everywhere for this with no perfect fit: I'm trying to find a grey suede derby shoes with a standard, brown leather sole. Like bucks but with the kind of brown sole you'd see on a typical brown dress shoe rather than red brick or some other plastic looking thing.

The Grenson Finlay is a near fit but it has this odd contrasting trim between the sole and the upper.

Any ideas?

That's just a different style of welt, one that deals with foul weather better. You'll also see it on a lot of longwings. It's perfectly normal and appropriate for those shoes.
post #19880 of 31155

Thanks (hem tape)... Whats the best place (or places) to get high quality fabrics (for suits) for great prices in the nyc area?

post #19881 of 31155
When wearing brown shoes with grey pants should the shoes get lighter or darker as the shade of grey gets lighter?
post #19882 of 31155

I need two pair of cheap dress shoes, one in black and one in brown. I want to spend under $150 for both. What brands and styles should I be looking at?

post #19883 of 31155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texx View Post

When wearing brown shoes with grey pants should the shoes get lighter or darker as the shade of grey gets lighter?

My rule is that as long as the shoes are about the same shade or darker, you can wear whatever you like. So if you're wearing charcoal pants, only a dark brown would work, but if you're wearing dove gray, you can pull off really light tans.
post #19884 of 31155

How does proxying work? I see a 59.99 dollar shoe (on sale) that I like and if I send it to where I am in Canada there is 40 dollar shipping making it 99.99...I have a cousin in the USA...so if I sent it to him I wouldn't pay 40 for shipping...is this what proxying does? I don't know what happens after...how my cousin gets me the shoes afterwards with no shipping charges....can someone help me here.

post #19885 of 31155
I'm going on a first date with a woman and we agreed to dress up 1920s-style and go to a speakeasy. I'm trying to figure out what to wear and how to put together an outfit that's 1920s-ish but doesn't look like a Halloween costume. I'm thinking less Al Capone, and more Midnight in Paris. I'm open to buying a thing or two on eBay or Etsy but don't want to spend too much money, nor do I want to look like I spent days planning it. Advice?
post #19886 of 31155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

I need two pair of cheap dress shoes, one in black and one in brown. I want to spend under $150 for both. What brands and styles should I be looking at?

Instead of buying 2 pairs of cheap dress shoes, buy one pair of nice ones. Regardless of the outfit you wear, shoes will make it break the outfit and one pair of nice ones are far better than several pairs of cheap ones.
post #19887 of 31155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post

Instead of buying 2 pairs of cheap dress shoes, buy one pair of nice ones. Regardless of the outfit you wear, shoes will make it break the outfit and one pair of nice ones are far better than several pairs of cheap ones.

Then you wear the one pair down fairly quickly, and don't have the versatility of having both black and brown.

kushburner: what kind of setting will you be wearing these shoes in? Because it's relatively easy to find a $100ish (less on sale) moccasin, but more difficult to find a nice lace up in the same price range.
post #19888 of 31155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedmajik View Post

How does proxying work? I see a 59.99 dollar shoe (on sale) that I like and if I send it to where I am in Canada there is 40 dollar shipping making it 99.99...I have a cousin in the USA...so if I sent it to him I wouldn't pay 40 for shipping...is this what proxying does? I don't know what happens after...how my cousin gets me the shoes afterwards with no shipping charges....can someone help me here.

there's no way your cousin gets the shoes to you with no shipping. proxying is basically a service where someone (in this situation), buys an item for you in the states and ships it to you. You'd pay the cost of the item and shipping and if whoever is proxying for you charges a fee, then also a proxy fee. 

post #19889 of 31155
A person willing to proxy an item to you will most likely charge you a fee for their "service" of some form -- whether it be a stated flat-fee or by inflating the cost of the item and/or shipping to you.

Proxying is only advantageous under the following scenarios:
  • The store from which you want to purchase an item does not ship to your area (or country) or at all (a small local brick-and-mortar store w/ no online presence)
  • The item you want to purchase costs less in the country from which a proxy is willing to ship to you, provided the final cost to you is less then simply purchasing online yourself.
  • The shipping charge offered from a store from which you want to purchase an item is more than it woud cost to have a proxy ship you the item (including the proxy fee)
  • The store from which you want to purchase an expensive item has a policy to declare the full value of the item when shipping to your country and you know this will trigger an additional customs fee.

In the first case above, you must weigh the cost-benefit of having the item proxy'd to you for the additional expense versus not having it at all. In all other cases, you should ensure that the final cost (to you) of the item you want is in fact less than by simply purchasing the item directly from the retailer.

ETA: I suppose in your case you cousin may provide you the service for free and only charge you the actual cost of shipping to you. Again, this is only advantageous if he is able to ship you the item for less than the stated cost of shipping directly from the retailer...
post #19890 of 31155

^^ Great summary.  I'd just add stress to the very last bit- be sure to consider that you will:

-pay for the item, and the shipping to your cousins home

-and then a pay second shipping fee from your cousin to you 

Also the declared value on your customs form will determine the fee you pay when you pick up the package.  If you ask your cousin to declare less you will pay less, but you will recover only the declared/insured amount if it is lost. 
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)