or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1321

post #19801 of 31077
The button stance looks perfectly fine. If anything, it's too high. But it's perfectly reasonable, and I would leave it exactly as it is.
post #19802 of 31077

I've just purchased my first MTM shirt from Modern Tailor. It seems as though the sleeves are too long. I want to modify my measurements for a better fitting shirt: do you guys have any specific recommendations?

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
Edit: attempting to fix pics

Edited by DaytonaJoe - 1/18/13 at 3:10pm
post #19803 of 31077

Another question tied to this one. What kind of shirts can I wear the green tie with? Plenty with the navy but I can't seem to find anything but white to wear with.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Just got two Robert Talbott silk knit ties, my first two silk knit's. They were at Nordstrom Rack so I picked them up real quick since they were the last ones. 

Was curious if these were good quality. Pictures below.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #19804 of 31077

Well I guess everybody is against it. I thought it wasn't a good idea as well. If it compliments my mood then I might, but I guess I won't. So I have this wonderful three piece charcoal suit. The color would be on the darker side. What shirts would suit this suit?

I know a charcoal suit can be very flexible, so would the following shirts suit this suit?

: Light Blue Shirt

: Deep Blue Shirt (Think clear water)

: Navy Blue Shirt

: Grey Shirt (Think diet coke can)

: Deep Grey (Think a metal grey. Um, a dark grey but not charcoal)

: Pale blue

And what ties would be the best with these?

post #19805 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Another question tied to this one. What kind of shirts can I wear the green tie with?
Come on, a solid green silk knit is NOT all that challenging a tie to match.

In terms of solid colored shirts, there's always white. Ecru might be even better than white, especially for certain complexions. Or the tie would probably go especially well with a pale yellow shirt.

The other day, I nearly bought a Brooks white w/grey tattersall shirt, which would've been great with your tie.

As silk knit ties tend to be slightly less formal than most other silk ties, I lean toward pairing them with dress shirts that are themselves slightly on the casual side. Usually, this can be accomplished as simply as by choosing a shirt with a button-down collar. However, some patterns can also tend to downplay the dress nature of a shirt a little.

It's not that it's necessarily some horrible sartorial faux pas, to wear a silk knit tie with a relatively dressy shirt, like a solid white with point color and French cuffs. It's just that I think other types of ties tend to be better matches for such shirts.

I would add that green is a great tie color. And even though every few years it briefly becomes trendy, in general it doesn't get the respect and attention it deserves. Plus, it's pretty much a year 'round color, unlike some. It works with both white metals and yellow metals, if that matters to you. And while a green tie isn't usually my first choice to wear with a navy suit or blazer (although the combination can work), it tends to go quite well with medium grey suits, tweed jackets, tan summer suits, etc.
--
Michael
post #19806 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedevil View Post

Well I guess everybody is against it. I thought it wasn't a good idea as well. If it compliments my mood then I might, but I guess I won't. So I have this wonderful three piece charcoal suit. The color would be on the darker side. What shirts would suit this suit?
I know a charcoal suit can be very flexible, so would the following shirts suit this suit?
: Light Blue Shirt
: Deep Blue Shirt (Think clear water)
: Navy Blue Shirt
: Grey Shirt (Think diet coke can)
: Deep Grey (Think a metal grey. Um, a dark grey but not charcoal)
: Pale blue
And what ties would be the best with these?

White, light/pale blue, or some stripe of white and light/pale blue if the suit is a solid.

This is usually your best bet for any suit of just about any color.
post #19807 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Another question tied to this one. What kind of shirts can I wear the green tie with? Plenty with the navy but I can't seem to find anything but white to wear with.

 

Green is a great tie color. Light blue or white work well. I have a green knit that I wear frequently. Wore it yesterday with a white and light blue stripe.
post #19808 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedevil View Post

three piece charcoal suit... What shirt...
: Light Blue Shirt
: Deep Blue Shirt (Think clear water)
: Navy Blue Shirt
: Grey Shirt (Think diet coke can)
: Deep Grey (Think a metal grey. Um, a dark grey but not charcoal)
: Pale blue

In general, I strongly prefer lighter, to darker, when it comes to dress shirt color. So the dark grey shirt is out. The light grey is better, but with a grey suit, I'd rather see a blue shirt than a grey one.

Again, as I'm not a big fan of dark dress shirts, the deep blue and navy blue shirts are out.

Leaving pale blue or light blue would as my first choice. (I don't know the difference between pale blue and light blue. Go with whichever is the lighter shade of blue.)

Any particular reason you don't even list a white shirt as a choice? A white shirt with a charcoal suit is hardly an exotic choice, and if you want to add some color and visual interest to the combination, you can do so with a colorful tie, or pocket square, or (very uncommon these days, but occasionally still a viable choice) a boutonniere (of the non-white variety).
post #19809 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


In general, I strongly prefer lighter, to darker, when it comes to dress shirt color. So the dark grey shirt is out. The light grey is better, but with a grey suit, I'd rather see a blue shirt than a grey one.

Again, as I'm not a big fan of dark dress shirts, the deep blue and navy blue shirts are out.

Leaving pale blue or light blue would as my first choice. (I don't know the difference between pale blue and light blue. Go with whichever is the lighter shade of blue.)

Any particular reason you don't even list a white shirt as a choice? A white shirt with a charcoal suit is hardly an exotic choice, and if you want to add some color and visual interest to the combination, you can do so with a colorful tie, or pocket square, or (very uncommon these days, but occasionally still a viable choice) a boutonniere (of the non-white variety).

 

Thank you. Though are you sure about the grey on charcoal being a bad idea? And deep blue is a more vibrant color. Think of the Earth blue color from space in those pictures.

 

And I didn't list the white shirt because well white shirt goes with everything. A crisp white shirt is the best possible choice. 

post #19810 of 31077

Should I apply beeswax to the welting of Allen Edmonds vibram soled boots?

 

It's winter here and from time to time I step into a puddle or a snow, I use cleaner&conditioner and polish on leather upper, but should I apply anything to welting to make it waterproof and longlasting?

post #19811 of 31077
What is "baize" fabric / detailing?

I am looking online at 100% wool overcoat that is described this way.

Is it any less dressy?
post #19812 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Green is a great tie color. Light blue or white work well. I have a green knit that I wear frequently. Wore it yesterday with a white and light blue stripe.

A forest green tie is also classic and understated.
post #19813 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedevil View Post

Though are you sure about the grey on charcoal being a bad idea?
Whether it's a bad idea is up to the individual, I suppose. But I am sure that I usually prefer not to wear a grey shirt with a grey suit.
Quote:
And deep blue is a more vibrant color. Think of the Earth blue color from space in those pictures.
I don't care how vibrant it is; I strongly dislike wearing dark colored dress shirts with suits. It would be extraordinarily rare that I'd choose a deep blue shirt over a pale blue shirt, to wear with a 3-piece charcoal suit.
post #19814 of 31077

Been reading this forum but I'm still lost. I have a dinner (business related) that's not suit nice but not shorts and sandle casual. I have $300 or so to spend. I was thinking a cheap blazer, khakis, white shirt and a tie but it seems plain - I have no idea what to get. Something that doesn't make me look like an idiot would be nice but if idiocy is all I can get I'll take it.

 

Any help would be appreciated. Bonus points if you can give me links where I can buy it online and be done with it.

 

Thanks.

post #19815 of 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfashion View Post

Been reading this forum but I'm still lost. I have a dinner (business related) that's not suit nice but not shorts and sandle casual. I have $300 or so to spend. I was thinking a cheap blazer, khakis, white shirt and a tie but it seems plain - I have no idea what to get. Something that doesn't make me look like an idiot would be nice but if idiocy is all I can get I'll take it.

Any help would be appreciated. Bonus points if you can give me links where I can buy it online and be done with it.

Thanks.

So you don't have a white shirt or khakis or a tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)