Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 6:33 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1320post #19787 of 331971/16/13 at 6:50pmQuote:
There are much, much better ways to dress casually than a suit with no tie, or even worse, a tie with no coat.post #19788 of 331971/16/13 at 6:53pmpost #19789 of 331971/16/13 at 7:13pmQuote:Even if you owned a black suit, a solid charcoal suit is every bit as "funeral appropriate" as is black.
Granted, the pinstripes definitely count against it for funeral wear, and if you had the option of choosing between a solid charcoal and a charcoal pinstripe, the proper choice would be obvious. However, probably 99% of the time you'll still be dressed acceptably.
Wear it with a white shirt and somber tie, and don't worry overmuch about your appearance. Yes, there are such things as guidelines for what to wear to a funeral, but that does not mean that funerals are fashion events. So long as you've made some effort to treat the occasion respectfully, nobody will have the moral right to take you to task for your attire. If somebody does give you a hard time about the pinstripes, that person needs to get his priorities straight.post #19790 of 331971/16/13 at 7:16pmpost #19791 of 331971/16/13 at 9:35pmQuote:
With what he has?
By the way, I don't really understand the problem with a tie with a vest but no coat. I'm aware it's hardly traditional, but it doesn't exactly make you look like a Jehovah's Witness.post #19792 of 331971/16/13 at 11:05pmQuote:
If you think that's okay then a vest with no jacket is just finepost #19793 of 331971/17/13 at 4:31am
Crosspost from a different thread; sorry for doing that, I guess this one might be more suitable for my question.
I've found a pair of boots in a shop in Canada at a bargain price. I would like to have them shipped to US, and then have them sent to Poland, where I live. That's right - even though I don't have relatives in US and have never been to your country, I figured a way that will make shipping cheaper this way. I realise there are customs duties on products imported to US from Canada. However, as far as I know, some exclusions apply - for instance, I've heard products made in US are free of tax imposing. And as a matter of fact, the boots I'm interested in are US-made. Would that save me from paying?
Will appreciate help from people who have had some experience with these issues - I'm counting on you :-).post #19794 of 331971/17/13 at 4:48amI just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds! What products should I invest in to keep them in optimal condition?
I'm new to the dress shoe game so if someone could point me in a direction of a good place to purchase a shoe horn, shoe tree and whatever polishes and protectors I need that would be awesome!post #19795 of 331971/17/13 at 6:15amQuote:Originally Posted by AmericanLion
I just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds! What products should I invest in to keep them in optimal condition?
I'm new to the dress shoe game so if someone could point me in a direction of a good place to purchase a shoe horn, shoe tree and whatever polishes and protectors I need that would be awesome!
Number one is trees. Either your feet or trees should be in them at all times.
Number two is a shoe horn, so you dont crush the back of the shoe when putting it on.
Number three is learning how to polish them to keep the leather supple.
Allen Edmonds sells good trees and polishes, and I'm sure they probably have a shoe horn as well. You can sometimes get cheaper trees on eBay or Sierra Trading Post.post #19796 of 331971/17/13 at 6:20amQuote:
Sure, no one will die if you wear your vest with no jacket. No one will die if you wear a black suit. No one will die if you wear ugly square-toed shoes. No one will die if you wear a jacket two sizes too big.
But people are coming here for advice from people who care deeply about certain norms and traditions of dress. And if you're saying that the advice people give should ignore these things then what is the point?post #19797 of 331971/17/13 at 6:29amQuote:
Because he will look like a waiter at best, a child at worst.
If it's a casual event, nothing wrong with trousers, an OCBD, and a sweater paired with nice shoes. Or, a step up the ladder, a sport coat. Then a sport coat with tie. Then a suit, with tie.
But the tie with no coat look is awful in just about any situation other than some of the crazy shit that ends up in the SW&D board, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.post #19798 of 331971/17/13 at 6:37am
I just made an order for two DB suits at a local mto shop, after making a test suit at the place previously and being resonably satisfied.
I made a number of adjustments, but now realize I might have overlooked one important thing: button stance.
Is it too low?
Non-functional top buttons could be moved up a few cm, functional buttons will be harder to remedy. I do favor a lower buttons stance when it comes to SB suits, but not really sure what I prefer in terms of DB yet.
(apologies for the terrible photos but I hope it's still possible to judge from them).post #19799 of 331971/17/13 at 11:25ampost #19800 of 331971/17/13 at 11:38am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › NWOT Engineered Garments Padded Wool Pants 34 6 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 8 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 14 seconds ago
- › Fantasy Football 2016 sign up! Ends 8/21 1 minute ago
- › Things you just don't get 1 minute ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 6 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...