Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 4:45 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1320post #19787 of 324671/16/13 at 6:50pmQuote:
There are much, much better ways to dress casually than a suit with no tie, or even worse, a tie with no coat.post #19788 of 324671/16/13 at 6:53pmpost #19789 of 324671/16/13 at 7:13pmQuote:Even if you owned a black suit, a solid charcoal suit is every bit as "funeral appropriate" as is black.
Granted, the pinstripes definitely count against it for funeral wear, and if you had the option of choosing between a solid charcoal and a charcoal pinstripe, the proper choice would be obvious. However, probably 99% of the time you'll still be dressed acceptably.
Wear it with a white shirt and somber tie, and don't worry overmuch about your appearance. Yes, there are such things as guidelines for what to wear to a funeral, but that does not mean that funerals are fashion events. So long as you've made some effort to treat the occasion respectfully, nobody will have the moral right to take you to task for your attire. If somebody does give you a hard time about the pinstripes, that person needs to get his priorities straight.post #19790 of 324671/16/13 at 7:16pmpost #19791 of 324671/16/13 at 9:35pmQuote:
With what he has?
By the way, I don't really understand the problem with a tie with a vest but no coat. I'm aware it's hardly traditional, but it doesn't exactly make you look like a Jehovah's Witness.post #19792 of 324671/16/13 at 11:05pmQuote:
If you think that's okay then a vest with no jacket is just finepost #19793 of 324671/17/13 at 4:31am
Crosspost from a different thread; sorry for doing that, I guess this one might be more suitable for my question.
I've found a pair of boots in a shop in Canada at a bargain price. I would like to have them shipped to US, and then have them sent to Poland, where I live. That's right - even though I don't have relatives in US and have never been to your country, I figured a way that will make shipping cheaper this way. I realise there are customs duties on products imported to US from Canada. However, as far as I know, some exclusions apply - for instance, I've heard products made in US are free of tax imposing. And as a matter of fact, the boots I'm interested in are US-made. Would that save me from paying?
Will appreciate help from people who have had some experience with these issues - I'm counting on you :-).post #19794 of 324671/17/13 at 4:48amI just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds! What products should I invest in to keep them in optimal condition?
I'm new to the dress shoe game so if someone could point me in a direction of a good place to purchase a shoe horn, shoe tree and whatever polishes and protectors I need that would be awesome!post #19795 of 324671/17/13 at 6:15amQuote:Originally Posted by AmericanLion
I just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds! What products should I invest in to keep them in optimal condition?
I'm new to the dress shoe game so if someone could point me in a direction of a good place to purchase a shoe horn, shoe tree and whatever polishes and protectors I need that would be awesome!
Number one is trees. Either your feet or trees should be in them at all times.
Number two is a shoe horn, so you dont crush the back of the shoe when putting it on.
Number three is learning how to polish them to keep the leather supple.
Allen Edmonds sells good trees and polishes, and I'm sure they probably have a shoe horn as well. You can sometimes get cheaper trees on eBay or Sierra Trading Post.post #19796 of 324671/17/13 at 6:20amQuote:
Sure, no one will die if you wear your vest with no jacket. No one will die if you wear a black suit. No one will die if you wear ugly square-toed shoes. No one will die if you wear a jacket two sizes too big.
But people are coming here for advice from people who care deeply about certain norms and traditions of dress. And if you're saying that the advice people give should ignore these things then what is the point?post #19797 of 324671/17/13 at 6:29amQuote:
Because he will look like a waiter at best, a child at worst.
If it's a casual event, nothing wrong with trousers, an OCBD, and a sweater paired with nice shoes. Or, a step up the ladder, a sport coat. Then a sport coat with tie. Then a suit, with tie.
But the tie with no coat look is awful in just about any situation other than some of the crazy shit that ends up in the SW&D board, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.post #19798 of 324671/17/13 at 6:37am
I just made an order for two DB suits at a local mto shop, after making a test suit at the place previously and being resonably satisfied.
I made a number of adjustments, but now realize I might have overlooked one important thing: button stance.
Is it too low?
Non-functional top buttons could be moved up a few cm, functional buttons will be harder to remedy. I do favor a lower buttons stance when it comes to SB suits, but not really sure what I prefer in terms of DB yet.
(apologies for the terrible photos but I hope it's still possible to judge from them).post #19799 of 324671/17/13 at 11:25ampost #19800 of 324671/17/13 at 11:38am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 4 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 6 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 14 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 19 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford Tuscan Leather & Creed Aventus 10mL Splits 23 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 32 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 33 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts