Would have to depend on how you rock it in my opinion...personally for me...I wouldn't have the confidence that I would be able to pull this off when everyone around me has solid black balmorals on (and by confidence I mean I would be thinking "I hope people around me at this formal occassion aren't thinking I'm pulling a faux pas...if you had the confidence you wouldn't be thinking like this in the occasion)...but...if you have a slightly off-black suit and the confidence to go with it...it MIGHT be doable...in my mind.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 11:30 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1316post #19727 of 330781/13/13 at 2:42pmpost #19728 of 330781/13/13 at 2:57pmpost #19729 of 330781/13/13 at 3:03pmpost #19730 of 330781/13/13 at 3:44pmpost #19731 of 330781/13/13 at 3:47pm
I'm thinking of ordering a couple of OCBDs from Luxire (custom shirtmaker) and I have a question of proper shirt sleeve length.
I've googled quite a bit and found that piece of information but I'm wondering about visible shirt cuff in different situations.
Shirt length is a problem for me as I'm quite long and can't seem to get the proper sleeve length from RTW-shirts so I hardly show or show a minimal amount of cuff when using a suit. I know that some amount of shirt cuff should be visible in that situation but does the same apply when you are wearing shirts with a sweater over?
I often wear OCBDs and throw a sweater over, so I'm asking if I should show shirt cuff also in that situation?post #19732 of 330781/13/13 at 3:49pmpost #19733 of 330781/13/13 at 3:52pmpost #19734 of 330781/13/13 at 4:23pmpost #19735 of 330781/13/13 at 10:59pm
Did anybody ever try these Mr. B's from the step up aldo line and pull them off as bucks (they're not suede)?...Apparently has a leather sole...but since its not suede might be hard to clean? It's on sale so...post #19736 of 330781/13/13 at 11:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
Navy velvet would be marginally better. Still not good, but somewhat less bad.
I suppose you could wear it without violating the non-existent dress code. And unless yours is a rather odd workplace, it's likely to be way better than wearing a green velvet jacket to work.
But most of the time, I'd find it to be a moderately weak choice. Not actually a terrible choice - since I could see how someone might maintain that wearing any blazer or sportcoat is better than wearing none at all. But a choice not quite as good as various other types of blazers or sportcoats. Since a corduroy jacket is about the most casual type of jacket. So, it's a less business appropriate choice, even though I acknowledge that "business appropriate" is a very difficult thing to pin down, when so many workplaces - including the one in question - don't have a dress code (either a formal one, or one which is well understood without having to be explicitly stated).
And really, given that in so many of today's workplaces anything better than jeans and a polo shirt constitutes "dressing up," isn't it silly to worry about which blazers register higher than others in the formality hierarchy? Maybe. (No, I don't think it's silly, but I bet to some medieval scholars it didn't seem silly to contemplate how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.)
Well ofcourse I don't intend to wear a velvet blazer or a velvet suit to go to work. I asked so just because I was wondering that whether it is appropriate that I can wear a velvet blazer to go out in daytime, for example, go for lunch with some frriends :) Now I think can only wear my velvet blazer to go for dinner :D
Yes my office may be an odd office in almost people's eyes here. But since I live in a third - world country, there is no dress - code in my firm, even it's a large state company. If I can wear a blouson or jeans and peacoat to go to work, I will wear a corduroy blazer to go to work without hesitance :D
P/S: I really prefer dressing a "businuess" suit and a dressy tie to wearing any other clothing like peatcoat, jeans or other type of jacket. But If I did so, I would become an odd white collar worker in my office :D
Edited by azumi - 1/13/13 at 11:56pmpost #19737 of 330781/14/13 at 4:09ampost #19738 of 330781/14/13 at 5:58ampost #19739 of 330781/14/13 at 6:52amQuote:I often wear OCBDs and throw a sweater over, so I'm asking if I should show shirt cuff also in that situation?
There is no cuff rule with sweaters that I am aware of. I regularly wear dress shirts under a sweater and I think it depends on the cuff of the sweater. Unless you have all of your sweaters custom made you will have varying lengths and cuff styles to work with. If the shirt cuff is going to show under a sweater cuff I try to make it a uniform 1/4". If the sweater covers the shirt cuffs I don't force it. I'd call it on a case-by-case basis.
Edited by AmericanGent - 1/14/13 at 7:20ampost #19740 of 330781/14/13 at 7:02am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Robert Geller Marcello Frames 5 minutes ago
- › WTB: Robert Geller Marcello Glasses Frames 7 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › The definitive SF-approved non-baller sneaker thread 12 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 16 minutes ago
- › *** The official PATRIK ERVELL thread *** 16 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 19 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding