or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1309

post #19621 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post


Sidd,
welcome to Styleforum. Can you give us some more information on your measurements? That should allow forum members to help you more easily.

Thanks Midnight. 

 I am about 6ft, 32 waist, 40 chest, although most big box stores say its a 42, I prefer a snugger more tailored fit. Neck about a 16, little less. Arms probably close to 37. The sleeve length on the shirts I mentioned is between 27 and 28 from shoulder seem to end of cuff. The sleeves are also slim, far slimmer that your average box store "slim fit". Thank you again for your time, I have been looking for shirts that fit me well for years. its just unfortunate that buy time I find some they are are all logo'd. Granted I can wear with a jacket, waistcoat, sweater and no one is the wiser. But it would be nice to have some other options. Randomly, I just received my first pair of Alden's based on recommendations from this site and they are fantastic! 

post #19622 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post


Sidd,
welcome to Styleforum. Can you give us some more information on your measurements? That should allow forum members to help you more easily.

Midnight,

 

Thanks for your reply. My measurements are 32 waist, 40 chest (although most big box stores will try and put me in a 42, I prefer a snugger/tailored fit), little less than 16 neck, about 37 arm. The shirts I mentioned have a sleeve length between 27 and 28 inches depending on the style from shoulder seem to end. Also their sleeves are slimmer, much slimmer that say you average stores "slim fit". A brooks bros super was like a tent in comparison and the fabric seemed of lesser quality (maybe I don't know quality fabric tho.) Thanks for any information, I have searched for proper fitting shirts for years, its unfortunate the ones I finally find are logo'd, however I can wear with a waistcoat, sweater, or jacket and no one is the wiser. It would be nice to have other options. I am not opposed to having things tailored, but it would be nice to have a good starting off point rather than just getting a awful shirt and trying to have it fixed. Randomly, I recently purchased my first pair of Alden shoes based on information on this site and they are fantastic.

 

Sorry if this is a dupe post. Forum posting is strange to me at times.

post #19623 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


This thread is part of Classic Menswear... There is, I believe, a similar thread in SW&D.

I understand that, but what I am saying is that there should be a different thread for each question.

 

How do you go about finding replies to your posts? I look at the few posts after my own, and if it's been a while, I search for my name to see if I miss anything. This seems very inefficient versus having a threaded discussion.

 

Even better would be to use a tree-like posting system where you can expand off of any given discussion (e.g. like Thunderbird displays email: http://www.studyplace.org/w/images/7/7e/Threaded_email.png [random Google image]), but even having separate forum topics would make it a lot easier.

post #19624 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnovc View Post

I understand that, but what I am saying is that there should be a different thread for each question.

How do you go about finding replies to your posts? I look at the few posts after my own, and if it's been a while, I search for my name to see if I miss anything. This seems very inefficient versus having a threaded discussion.

Even better would be to use a tree-like posting system where you can expand off of any given discussion (e.g. like Thunderbird displays email: http://www.studyplace.org/w/images/7/7e/Threaded_email.png [random Google image]), but even having separate forum topics would make it a lot easier.

The reason for threads like this is to keep the forum clean. Otherwise there are hundreds of one-off questions that have been asked and answered many times before. It makes it impossible to find anything new beyond the deluge of "What should I wear to my interview/wedding/whatever" and "Does my new suit fit" threads. It also helps to concentrate people who are interested in that topic into one place--e.g. by placing fit questions in the Tailor's Fit Thread, you end up getting people who actually know what they are talking about, and interested in providing fit feedbacks, answering questions, rather than just whoever happens to see that thread before it is rapidly buried under the other threads all asking similar things, or all asking simple questions that would be better answered in this thread.

It's certainly not a perfect system, but it's there for a reason.
post #19625 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by red81 View Post

what do you guys think of wearing a knit tie to a daytime outdoor wedding?  i found a thread from 2008 that was about half and half on it, seeing if the consensus changed.  it'd be a navy tie with a navy suit.

thanks.

Wore one to an in laws wedding in July (Silk green with off white dots). Khaki cotton suit. So I think it's fine. If I was doing around this time of year though I may go with something in wool instead.
post #19626 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnovc View Post

I understand that, but what I am saying is that there should be a different thread for each question.

How do you go about finding replies to your posts? I look at the few posts after my own, and if it's been a while, I search for my name to see if I miss anything. This seems very inefficient versus having a threaded discussion.

Even better would be to use a tree-like posting system where you can expand off of any given discussion (e.g. like Thunderbird displays email: http://www.studyplace.org/w/images/7/7e/Threaded_email.png [random Google image]), but even having separate forum topics would make it a lot easier.

Most of the easy questions only get one or two responses, and those tend to show up relatively soon after the post. Having a whole subforum for beginner/simple questions would be redundant, and many people would probably never check it.

If this thread moved faster, there might be a demand for such a thing.
post #19627 of 31071
I need some opinions of BB peal cordovan boots with double leather sole paid 679 are they any good or should I send back ? Thanks
post #19628 of 31071
First shell boots I don't know wtf to do!
post #19629 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc44 View Post

I need some opinions of BB peal cordovan boots with double leather sole paid 679 are they any good or should I send back ? Thanks

I don't see these on the Brooks Brothers website. Can you post a link or some pics?

 

If you like them and can afford them, then you should keep them. Shell almost never goes on sale at BB or anywhere, so you might be waiting for a long time to get anything but the price you paid. You might have done better had you gotten either a corporate membership (15% off) or signed up for the BB credit card (one time %15).

post #19630 of 31071

Im looking to pick up a few blazers. Probably going to find some second hand on ebay. 
Any brands in particular people like? Slim fit is preferred. 

There seems to be a ton of Brooks Brothers blazers on ebay, heard mixed reviews on them.

Hickory freeman everyone seems to like, price is a little high

Anything else?

post #19631 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I don't see these on the Brooks Brothers website. Can you post a link or some pics?

If you like them and can afford them, then you should keep them. Shell almost never goes on sale at BB or anywhere, so you might be waiting for a long time to get anything but the price you paid. You might have done better had you gotten either a corporate membership (15% off) or signed up for the BB credit card (one time %15).

Assuming he got these during the boxing day sale, he would not have gotten a better price on them even if he had a corporate membership.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.%C2%AE-Cordovan-Boot/621H,default,pd.html?dwvar_621H_Color=BRWN&contentpos=5&cgid=

I believe they are C&J and the only other C&J in a shell boot that comes close in this price range is when the Lindricks are on deep discount.
post #19632 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


Assuming he got these during the boxing day sale, he would not have gotten a better price on them even if he had a corporate membership.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.%C2%AE-Cordovan-Boot/621H,default,pd.html?dwvar_621H_Color=BRWN&contentpos=5&cgid=
I believe they are C&J and the only other C&J in a shell boot that comes close in this price range is when the Lindricks are on deep discount.

When I went to BB on December 26 and 27, they told me Edward Green and Shell were excluded from the 25% off sale.

post #19633 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxkyle View Post

Im looking to pick up a few blazers. Probably going to find some second hand on ebay. 

Any brands in particular people like? Slim fit is preferred. 



There seems to be a ton of Brooks Brothers blazers on ebay, heard mixed reviews on them.



Hickory freeman everyone seems to like, price is a little high



Anything else?



Brooks Brothers' Blazer is pretty much the definition of a Blazer. There isn't much variety between brands and Blazers. I say go with Brooks Brothers or YSL, pick one Blazer up seem to be quite a few. Maybe buy a few Sport Coats as well instead. Generally 'Slim Fit' would be found in brands like Rugby or Gant. I saw some YSL and Oxxford Blazers, other places to check would be J Press, who make a very trad Blazer. I own a Rugby RL Blazer, back when it was made by Caruso, and its one of my favorite wardrobe pieces. It's possible to get a PRL Blazer, but its probably not going to be Slim Fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/38-S-Short-Polo-Ralph-Lauren-Corneliani-navy-sport-coat-blazer-Gold-Buttons-325-/321052229099?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item4ac0343deb

That one looks decent, and its Corneliani, you didn't provide a size so not sure if that would fit you.
post #19634 of 31071
Yea they are c&j I don't know how they compare to other makes out there,thanks
post #19635 of 31071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


Brooks Brothers' Blazer is pretty much the definition of a Blazer. There isn't much variety between brands and Blazers. I say go with Brooks Brothers or YSL, pick one Blazer up seem to be quite a few. Maybe buy a few Sport Coats as well instead. Generally 'Slim Fit' would be found in brands like Rugby or Gant. I saw some YSL and Oxxford Blazers, other places to check would be J Press, who make a very trad Blazer. I own a Rugby RL Blazer, back when it was made by Caruso, and its one of my favorite wardrobe pieces. It's possible to get a PRL Blazer, but its probably not going to be Slim Fit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/38-S-Short-Polo-Ralph-Lauren-Corneliani-navy-sport-coat-blazer-Gold-Buttons-325-/321052229099?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item4ac0343deb
That one looks decent, and its Corneliani, you didn't provide a size so not sure if that would fit you.

 

Yeah, my apologizes im a 40R mostly.

I also, which i shouldn't cause i know its wrong but i generalize blazers/sport coats etc as the same thing in my head.

I appreciate the response man.

I was just looking for opinions on what others have worn and liked.

By slim fit I mean I just dont want a box fit haha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)