Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 11:33 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Today
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: Today
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1306
Styleforum Top Pickspost #19577 of 321731/7/13 at 7:28ampost #19578 of 321731/7/13 at 7:56amQuote:
I would stick with a standard/turndown collar. This will hide the black band of the bow tie as it wraps around your neck. Your shirt should still be of the formal variety however (either pleated or pique bib). See here for more information: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Shirts.htmpost #19579 of 321731/7/13 at 8:07am
What do you guys think of this sportscoat? I think the sleeves are a touch short, and the armholes are a bit low, but otherwise I am looking for some general advice. Also I just threw this over my sunday bumming clothes so please disregard t-shirt and jeans.. may (will?) be worn with slacks and a buttoned down shirt. Obviously this isn't a MTM coat, so I'm not expecting an absolutely perfect fit, but for a few bucks it didn't seem like a bad purchase.post #19580 of 321731/7/13 at 9:52ampost #19581 of 321731/7/13 at 9:56amQuote:
Reno may be able to get it out. Worst case scenario you can use reno-mat, although its a bit more abrasive.post #19582 of 321731/7/13 at 10:05amQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I would stick with a standard/turndown collar. This will hide the black band of the bow tie as it wraps around your neck. Your shirt should still be of the formal variety however (either pleated or pique bib). See here for more information: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Shirts.htm
Thanks for the reply. I always thought the tie band looked silly, especially the pre-tied versions that I wear.
Cheers,post #19583 of 321731/7/13 at 10:10amQuote:
I think this may be similar to what you have encountered. Back in the day (military) we used to burn in our polish and sometimes it would harden. I used a nylon stocking to knock down the ridges. Use a motion like the shoe shine guys use with the rag.
Cheers,post #19584 of 321731/7/13 at 11:24ampost #19585 of 321731/7/13 at 12:09pmpost #19586 of 321731/7/13 at 5:39pmQuote:
There's a shop near me that does $99 per shirt, but if I can get measurements from Modern Tailor right it might be worth going through them. The sub-$100 fabrics seem decent.post #19587 of 321731/7/13 at 10:05pmSay a jacket of mine is 21.25 inches in the chest, pit to pit. I need some more wearing easy. Ideally, it should be 21.5 to 21.75. Can the chest be let out at that area?
I know that the waist of a jacket can be let out, but I'm unsure about the chest area.
Edited by jrd617 - 1/7/13 at 11:17pmpost #19588 of 321731/7/13 at 11:16pmMember "a tailor" said on Ask Andy that there is usually material at the side seam under the armhole.
Still interested in hearing from people who've had this procedure done on a jacket by a good tailor.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?103203-Letting-out-chest-of-suit-jacketpost #19589 of 321731/8/13 at 3:38ampost #19590 of 321731/8/13 at 6:16am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizing
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Patrik Ervell Cotton Technical Knit Cardigan Navy XS 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 12 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 24 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 27 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 30 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...