Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 5:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1283post #19231 of 3219012/20/12 at 10:33pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #19232 of 3219012/20/12 at 11:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by daveedoe
QUESTION: I found a really great deal on a John Varvatos slim cut 2-piece suit at Nordstrom Rack recently ($170, down from $795). It fits very well and I like it, but I'm not sure if it's really in style and even worth the $170 I paid for it. The first reason I'm unsure of it is that it has a peaked lapel. I like the peaked lapel, but don't really see them in use ever. Next, it's a light grey ghost pinstripe, which I also don't really see, but do like. My concerns are, first, will the material pattern be too distracting and will I look outdated? Second, will I look like I'm trying to be a pimp? Your responses are certainly appreciated. Be brutally honest. I can still return it for a full refund. Also, if you think it's worth hanging onto, what color and style shoes would you recommend?
It's not going to come off as dated, if anything it'll come off as a little fashiony. Maybe in a few years it'll look as silly as the 80's landing strip shoulders look to us now, but I don't think that that styling is going to inspire such an extreme reaction.
The single breasted, peak lapel bit is a trend right now, and light gray pinstripe is a less formal suiting, but a well established one that won't look too odd now or in 10 years. I would not wear that suit to an interview, but for a wedding (not yours), a party, or a day at the office, it's a nice choice.
And pretty much any non-loafer dress shoe will go with that suit. Gray means black will always be a sharp choice, and the lighter gray is, the more shades of brown you can easily play with. Burgundy too, of course. The world is your oyster.post #19233 of 3219012/21/12 at 12:53am
Clarksdb has the right of it, I think. Persols are nice, indeed. You could also do what Cary Grant did in North by Northwest and put tinted lenses in eyeglass frames. Or, if you want a brilliant take on a classic, get some Randolph Engineering aviators (avoid size 58 unless you have a very large head).post #19234 of 3219012/21/12 at 2:46ampost #19235 of 3219012/21/12 at 2:55ampost #19236 of 3219012/21/12 at 6:33amQuote:
I'm pretty sure it's just tissue paper.post #19237 of 3219012/21/12 at 8:40amQuote:
yes i've been reading this on the internet too.. not making me feel any better! :-/post #19238 of 3219012/21/12 at 8:41amQuote:Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
I don't know if it's the third worst in the world (although I'd have no trouble believing that it is). I do know that I'd never trust the Italian postal system with anything more important than a post card.
I hope your jacket arrives safely, drtchock. And I suppose it might. Eventually. Maybe. But I'd have paid extra for something like FedEx or DHL, rather than taking the crapshoot that is the Italian postal service.
thanks, i hope it arrives safely too.. i got a bargain price for a margiela jacket and the seller said they would throw in free shipping so i accepted! i had no idea the italian post was so bad though otherwise i would have just paid the extra and gone for DHL. fingers crossed it arrives, i'm sure it will... i hope.post #19239 of 3219012/21/12 at 8:55ampost #19240 of 3219012/21/12 at 9:09ampost #19241 of 3219012/21/12 at 9:50ampost #19242 of 3219012/21/12 at 3:35pmpost #19243 of 3219012/21/12 at 4:50pmQuote:Tell me toward which brand you're leaning. Tell me why. Then maybe I'll chime in with my take on your thinking.
I mean, it's your question; you ought to be the one to do the heavy lifting.
But fwiw, I own lots of Allen Edmonds shoes. I'm pretty happy with them. I own no Grensons. So that's my bias. Then again, I have no idea where you live (UK or US), how old you are, what your shoe budget's like, which of your current shoes you like, whether you have an unusually large/small or wide/narrow foot, what your specific dress shoe and casual shoe needs are, etc. So just because I like Allen Edmonds does not necessarily mean that it'd be the better choice for you.
Michaelpost #19244 of 3219012/21/12 at 6:18pmpost #19245 of 3219012/21/12 at 6:48pm
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizing
- › Wesco Boots! 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Eidos lupo polos, sweaters 50% off 6 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 13 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 26 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 31 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 33 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 33 minutes ago
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 34 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?