Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 4:14 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on Today at 6:11 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on Today at 8:13 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 8:29 am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1273post #19081 of 3095612/12/12 at 1:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #19082 of 3095612/12/12 at 2:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by elstevendeo
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I've been trying to buy better made clothing recently and I'm wondering why (for example) a $165 button down shirt from Unionmade is worth the extra money vs. say your run of the mill button down that costs 1/3 of the price. I know there is going to be a bit of a cost increase due to it being made in the USA but is the quality really that much better?
Yes, there certainly is a cost increase because an item is made in the USA. But that is not the only reason most of us are not interested in purchasing shirts from run-of-the-mill factories. And if by 'run-of-the-mill button downs' you mean the kind of shirts which line the shelves of Sears and Macy's, etc. then ---
From an wide, overhead view, most forum members purchase quality shirts (and most other menswear items) using the Substantive Procedures Method of FFC. Fit Test, Fabric Test, & Construction Test. If the tests meet predicted level of quality, they can move on to further analytical procedures.
As for the last part of your question: 'Is the quality really that much better?' This is a value judgement. Materiality of the shirt in question is entirely up to the Forum Member's professional judgement. With enough hits on the search button they hopefully will exercise their judgement with professionalism and due care.post #19083 of 3095612/12/12 at 4:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by RCAsia
I definetely agree with what Tobias is saying. I would also add a pink or a lilac tie as these colors complement blue and white shirts very well, especially if worn with a charcoal grey suit. I would also consider looking into Hermes or Ferragamo style repeating animal prints ties as those are usually quite whimsical but bring alot of flair to your outfit. They have some beautiful repeating animal prints with dolphins, fish, crabs etc. Thomas Pink also has a really good animal prints selection. Sometimes these labels also carry repeating sporting goods prints like golfballs, tennis raquets, which are really aesthetic.
Another thing I would watch out for (unless you are quite wide in your shoulders) is to look for ties that are between 3.25 to 3.5 inches in width. Some labels still carry 3.75 inch to 4 inch ties, but with suits today generally being made with narrower lapels, it would look more in sync to wear a slightly narrower tie. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, Tobias and RCAsia.
I'm a bit skeptical to wearing anything pink really. Pink shirts, if light pink, can work though.
Yes, I've been wondering about what length to go for, but I'll try to keep it in the 3.25 to 3.5 inch-range. :)post #19084 of 3095612/12/12 at 4:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I have the brown ones, and I think they are worth getting. They are dark, but not so dark that someone would ever mistake them for black. After a few wears and shines, they start to develop a nice patina. They are also considerably more conservative than the walnut ones and look great with a navy suit.
Thanks! Am I correct in thinking that these shoes are mainly for suits? No chinos, right?post #19085 of 3095612/12/12 at 5:24pmpost #19086 of 3095612/12/12 at 5:35pmpost #19087 of 3095612/12/12 at 5:39pm
It depends. Do you look like an idiot who doesn't understand the idea of "summer," a question which is contingent on your answer to: how hot does it get where you live?post #19088 of 3095612/12/12 at 5:43pmMight also want to look at Brooks Brothers chinos, they should be having a Boxing Day sale day after Christmas. By the way Left Hand, I was happy to hear you got your Howard Yount trousers and like them so far. That was quick shipping, you should have them hemmed and everything by Christmas!post #19089 of 3095612/12/12 at 6:49pmpost #19090 of 3095612/12/12 at 8:24pmpost #19091 of 3095612/12/12 at 10:14pmpost #19092 of 3095612/12/12 at 10:30pmpost #19093 of 3095612/12/12 at 11:16pmpost #19094 of 3095612/13/12 at 4:35ampost #19095 of 3095612/13/12 at 4:55amQuote:
Ignore your date. Wear a pink boutonniere instead. Or a pink shirt. Pink shirts are awesome, as long as you don't get them from any store that rhymes with "Hex dress." The neon pink isn't what you want.
If you must wear a pink tie... actually, I'm having a hard time finding a pink tie that I like. http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-grossa-solid-silk-ties/pink-silver-grenadine-silk-tie-25.html This, maybe?
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 15 seconds ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 40 seconds ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 2 minutes ago
- › Christopher Raeburn - Quilted Light Bomber 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Austerity Boot, size 8.5, 804 last - meleze upper,... 3 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 4 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...