Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 1:48 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1273post #19081 of 3173412/12/12 at 1:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #19082 of 3173412/12/12 at 2:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by elstevendeo
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I've been trying to buy better made clothing recently and I'm wondering why (for example) a $165 button down shirt from Unionmade is worth the extra money vs. say your run of the mill button down that costs 1/3 of the price. I know there is going to be a bit of a cost increase due to it being made in the USA but is the quality really that much better?
Yes, there certainly is a cost increase because an item is made in the USA. But that is not the only reason most of us are not interested in purchasing shirts from run-of-the-mill factories. And if by 'run-of-the-mill button downs' you mean the kind of shirts which line the shelves of Sears and Macy's, etc. then ---
From an wide, overhead view, most forum members purchase quality shirts (and most other menswear items) using the Substantive Procedures Method of FFC. Fit Test, Fabric Test, & Construction Test. If the tests meet predicted level of quality, they can move on to further analytical procedures.
As for the last part of your question: 'Is the quality really that much better?' This is a value judgement. Materiality of the shirt in question is entirely up to the Forum Member's professional judgement. With enough hits on the search button they hopefully will exercise their judgement with professionalism and due care.post #19083 of 3173412/12/12 at 4:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by RCAsia
I definetely agree with what Tobias is saying. I would also add a pink or a lilac tie as these colors complement blue and white shirts very well, especially if worn with a charcoal grey suit. I would also consider looking into Hermes or Ferragamo style repeating animal prints ties as those are usually quite whimsical but bring alot of flair to your outfit. They have some beautiful repeating animal prints with dolphins, fish, crabs etc. Thomas Pink also has a really good animal prints selection. Sometimes these labels also carry repeating sporting goods prints like golfballs, tennis raquets, which are really aesthetic.
Another thing I would watch out for (unless you are quite wide in your shoulders) is to look for ties that are between 3.25 to 3.5 inches in width. Some labels still carry 3.75 inch to 4 inch ties, but with suits today generally being made with narrower lapels, it would look more in sync to wear a slightly narrower tie. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, Tobias and RCAsia.
I'm a bit skeptical to wearing anything pink really. Pink shirts, if light pink, can work though.
Yes, I've been wondering about what length to go for, but I'll try to keep it in the 3.25 to 3.5 inch-range. :)post #19084 of 3173412/12/12 at 4:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I have the brown ones, and I think they are worth getting. They are dark, but not so dark that someone would ever mistake them for black. After a few wears and shines, they start to develop a nice patina. They are also considerably more conservative than the walnut ones and look great with a navy suit.
Thanks! Am I correct in thinking that these shoes are mainly for suits? No chinos, right?post #19085 of 3173412/12/12 at 5:24pmpost #19086 of 3173412/12/12 at 5:35pmpost #19087 of 3173412/12/12 at 5:39pm
It depends. Do you look like an idiot who doesn't understand the idea of "summer," a question which is contingent on your answer to: how hot does it get where you live?post #19088 of 3173412/12/12 at 5:43pmMight also want to look at Brooks Brothers chinos, they should be having a Boxing Day sale day after Christmas. By the way Left Hand, I was happy to hear you got your Howard Yount trousers and like them so far. That was quick shipping, you should have them hemmed and everything by Christmas!post #19089 of 3173412/12/12 at 6:49pmpost #19090 of 3173412/12/12 at 8:24pmpost #19091 of 3173412/12/12 at 10:14pmpost #19092 of 3173412/12/12 at 10:30pmpost #19093 of 3173412/12/12 at 11:16pmpost #19094 of 3173412/13/12 at 4:35ampost #19095 of 3173412/13/12 at 4:55amQuote:
Ignore your date. Wear a pink boutonniere instead. Or a pink shirt. Pink shirts are awesome, as long as you don't get them from any store that rhymes with "Hex dress." The neon pink isn't what you want.
If you must wear a pink tie... actually, I'm having a hard time finding a pink tie that I like. http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-grossa-solid-silk-ties/pink-silver-grenadine-silk-tie-25.html This, maybe?
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 6 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories