or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1241

post #18601 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLion View Post

Hello Everyone!

I am updating my closet and getting rid of all my hollister/express jeans and starting off with something more plain and simple. What would yall suggest in Levi's the 514 or the 501 shrink to fit? I tried them on and felt them in the store the other day and the 501's felt way more durable and raw if that makes any sense. Thanks!

 

Check with SW&D.
post #18602 of 30160

This may be an incredibly layman question... Can someone explain to me the main differences between a suit and a sports jacket. Obviously each are worn for different reasons, but are there any differences structurally besides some occasional buttons on the lower arm?

post #18603 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglypuff View Post

This may be an incredibly layman question... Can someone explain to me the main differences between a suit and a sports jacket. Obviously each are worn for different reasons, but are there any differences structurally besides some occasional buttons on the lower arm?

Fabric and buttons.
post #18604 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post


I like this extended color wheel. Helps morons like me.

I think its safe to say that we all need a little help with color coordination from time to time!

post #18605 of 30160
I just got a jacket from indochino. Overall it is flattering but I have a small "X" on the button. I could live with that but the jacket bottom (when buttoned) pulls apart on the bottom and shows a bit of shirt.

Can tailoring fix that? Will an inch of extra room at the buttoning point fix that or does it require a different alteration?
post #18606 of 30160

Grey typically adds neutrality to a color scheme, so if you can balance it out with a pastel color like a lilac shirt or a light pink shirt, I think it would look really sharp.  You'd want to avoid the dark grey flannel though.  Just my opinion. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucan View Post

I was mulling over getting this grey tie to wear with a grey suit (prob. mid-grey worsted, but also have dark grey flannel) and a white shirt.  Would this be the very stylish and modern look I have in my mind's eye, or a dull disaster?

700

post #18607 of 30160
Does the My Ebay page look different to anyone else starting tonight?
post #18608 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTionS View Post

Does the My Ebay page look different to anyone else starting tonight?

eBay has been phasing in a new design, with different people getting it at different times.
post #18609 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Fabric and buttons.

What exactly are the differences in buttons between a sportcoat and suit jacket?
post #18610 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

What exactly are the differences in buttons between a sportcoat and suit jacket?

I don't know the differences as far as buttons are concerned, but sports coats can - and should - have more patterns and designs than suits, which are meant to be understated and conservative. Sport coats can have herringbone, hounds tooth, glen plaid, tweed styles/fabrics and louder colors than do suits. You can have more "fun" with sport coats than you can with suits.

Also, sport coat fabrics are usually heavier than suit fabrics.
post #18611 of 30160

Hi, I'm after a 1930/40's sweatshirt. Kind of like the Buzz Ricksons ones but much cheaper!

 

http://www.buzzricksons.com/plain-sweatshirt-needle-grey-p-73.html

 

Any suggestions?

 

Thanks

post #18612 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post

I don't know the differences as far as buttons are concerned, but sports coats can - and should - have more patterns and designs than suits, which are meant to be understated and conservative. Sport coats can have herringbone, hounds tooth, glen plaid, tweed styles/fabrics and louder colors than do suits. You can have more "fun" with sport coats than you can with suits.
Also, sport coat fabrics are usually heavier than suit fabrics.

True but what about if it's a navy blazer but without gold buttons? How would you be able to tell the difference between that and a suit jacket?
post #18613 of 30160
^ Generally, a navy suit will be made of a very smooth worsted material while a blazer will have more texture and is often made from a more woolen cloth.
post #18614 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notatinyman View Post

I just got a jacket from indochino. Overall it is flattering but I have a small "X" on the button. I could live with that but the jacket bottom (when buttoned) pulls apart on the bottom and shows a bit of shirt.
Can tailoring fix that? Will an inch of extra room at the buttoning point fix that or does it require a different alteration?
It sounds like your jacket has "open quarters". This is not a flaw and many consider it desirable. I do not believe it can be easily changed.
post #18615 of 30160
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Fabric and buttons.

What exactly are the differences in buttons between a sportcoat and suit jacket?

Suits should really have buttons that match the colour of the cloth (dyed horn or plastic). Odd jackets generally have (but don't have to have) contrasting buttons, or ones made of other materials like leather, metal or mother of pearl. You will see the former rule ignored frequently on SF, which is fine for more casual suits and blazersuits.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)