Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 4:11 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on Today at 5:27 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on Today at 1:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:20 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1237post #18541 of 3096611/20/12 at 3:51am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18542 of 3096611/20/12 at 3:54amQuote:Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout
So, I was wondering if you could tell me what I could wear with these. They are a reddish/brown pair of loafers. I was told that I cannot wear these with jeans because they are too formal looking. Is this true? Also, what kind of socks would I wear with these?
jeans. i think they are ok...post #18543 of 3096611/20/12 at 6:13amQuote:
No offense taken. These are Allen Edmunds loafers and they do look better in person. That said, I have a hard time with loafers... can never seem to make them work for me.
Thanks for replying, though! -- that goes for everyone.
Also... does everyone agree that these are ugly? Not that your word is law (you're not the Judge Dredd of fashion!), but I do take what most people here say somewhat seriously as most of you have a great sense of style.
Thanks!post #18544 of 3096611/20/12 at 7:43ampost #18545 of 3096611/20/12 at 7:46ampost #18546 of 3096611/20/12 at 8:53ampost #18547 of 3096611/20/12 at 9:09ampost #18548 of 3096611/20/12 at 9:20amQuote:
Definitely. These wouldn't be my choice. But they aren't "burn them in the streets" bad either, unlike many of the shoes posted here recently...post #18549 of 3096611/20/12 at 9:27amQuote:While many types of shoes do, indeed, tend to look tacky with overly square toes, penny loafers strike me as something of an exception to this rule. Consequently, even with the square toes, the shoes look okay. Again, I don't find them to be remarkably attractive (and, just for the record, I'm a big fan of penny loafers), but they look more than acceptable enough that if I already owned them, I wouldn't hesitate to wear them.I think the slight squareness of the toe makes them look tacky.
What? Like I'm the only one here who sometimes wears a shirt or a tie which is simply okay looking? Sure, it'd be nice, in some ideal sense, if every article of clothing we wore, without exception, looked great. But in the real world, perhaps due to budgetary constraints, or changing tastes, or whatever, most of us do sometimes wear items which we deem to look merely acceptable. Not outright ugly, mind you. But far from great.post #18550 of 3096611/20/12 at 9:31ampost #18551 of 3096611/20/12 at 9:31ampost #18552 of 3096611/20/12 at 10:10amQuote:I may already own the "non-terrible" item. Maybe I bought it at a time when my tastes were different from what they currently are. Maybe I bought it because it was priced really low, and I convinced myself that it would suffice. Maybe I bought it via the Internet and didn't realize all of its shortcomings from the picture/description. Maybe it was a gift. Whatever.
My clothing budget being somewhat less than unlimited, if I already own an item, and it's generally acceptable, I may be reluctant to go out and spend money on a superior replacement item. At least, I may wait a while before replacing it, in the interim spending my money on more immediate wardrobe (and other) needs.Quote:I don't feel tortured at having to wear a clothing item which is simply "adequate." Frankly, living in less than a great house is not torture for me, either. And while I like my new car, I wouldn't call it a great automobile, in some "money is no object" sense. For that matter, that I possess a merely acceptable physique and adequate hair, does not torture me.Why torture yourself?
I can respect the idea of greatness, but (with a nod to Voltaire) I do not permit perfect to be the enemy of good.post #18553 of 3096611/20/12 at 11:29ampost #18554 of 3096611/20/12 at 11:36am
I've currently accumulated about 3 decent dress shoes and all of them are Allen Edmonds. In the next few months, I'd like to take a step up in the world of leather dress shoes and purchase something that is better such as C&J or Carmina. What would be a good brand that would be considered a step up from AE?
Currently have =
AE fifth avenue
BB captoe (made by AE)
Also have some derbies from Common Projects and a casual oxford from Yuketen.
I should note that I work in a casual tech setting and never wear suits to work. I can wear whatever I want and often dress more MC casual 2-3 days a week and dress down (wear sneakers) the other days.post #18555 of 3096611/20/12 at 11:39am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › Cars We Drive! 1 second ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 23 seconds ago
- › Bespoke England - Fine Shoes and Accessories; Official Affiliate... 35 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Site Topics - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...