Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 5:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1237post #18541 of 3120311/20/12 at 3:51am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18542 of 3120311/20/12 at 3:54amQuote:Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout
So, I was wondering if you could tell me what I could wear with these. They are a reddish/brown pair of loafers. I was told that I cannot wear these with jeans because they are too formal looking. Is this true? Also, what kind of socks would I wear with these?
jeans. i think they are ok...post #18543 of 3120311/20/12 at 6:13amQuote:
No offense taken. These are Allen Edmunds loafers and they do look better in person. That said, I have a hard time with loafers... can never seem to make them work for me.
Thanks for replying, though! -- that goes for everyone.
Also... does everyone agree that these are ugly? Not that your word is law (you're not the Judge Dredd of fashion!), but I do take what most people here say somewhat seriously as most of you have a great sense of style.
Thanks!post #18544 of 3120311/20/12 at 7:43ampost #18545 of 3120311/20/12 at 7:46ampost #18546 of 3120311/20/12 at 8:53ampost #18547 of 3120311/20/12 at 9:09ampost #18548 of 3120311/20/12 at 9:20amQuote:
Definitely. These wouldn't be my choice. But they aren't "burn them in the streets" bad either, unlike many of the shoes posted here recently...post #18549 of 3120311/20/12 at 9:27amQuote:While many types of shoes do, indeed, tend to look tacky with overly square toes, penny loafers strike me as something of an exception to this rule. Consequently, even with the square toes, the shoes look okay. Again, I don't find them to be remarkably attractive (and, just for the record, I'm a big fan of penny loafers), but they look more than acceptable enough that if I already owned them, I wouldn't hesitate to wear them.I think the slight squareness of the toe makes them look tacky.
What? Like I'm the only one here who sometimes wears a shirt or a tie which is simply okay looking? Sure, it'd be nice, in some ideal sense, if every article of clothing we wore, without exception, looked great. But in the real world, perhaps due to budgetary constraints, or changing tastes, or whatever, most of us do sometimes wear items which we deem to look merely acceptable. Not outright ugly, mind you. But far from great.post #18550 of 3120311/20/12 at 9:31ampost #18551 of 3120311/20/12 at 9:31ampost #18552 of 3120311/20/12 at 10:10amQuote:I may already own the "non-terrible" item. Maybe I bought it at a time when my tastes were different from what they currently are. Maybe I bought it because it was priced really low, and I convinced myself that it would suffice. Maybe I bought it via the Internet and didn't realize all of its shortcomings from the picture/description. Maybe it was a gift. Whatever.
My clothing budget being somewhat less than unlimited, if I already own an item, and it's generally acceptable, I may be reluctant to go out and spend money on a superior replacement item. At least, I may wait a while before replacing it, in the interim spending my money on more immediate wardrobe (and other) needs.Quote:I don't feel tortured at having to wear a clothing item which is simply "adequate." Frankly, living in less than a great house is not torture for me, either. And while I like my new car, I wouldn't call it a great automobile, in some "money is no object" sense. For that matter, that I possess a merely acceptable physique and adequate hair, does not torture me.Why torture yourself?
I can respect the idea of greatness, but (with a nod to Voltaire) I do not permit perfect to be the enemy of good.post #18553 of 3120311/20/12 at 11:29ampost #18554 of 3120311/20/12 at 11:36am
I've currently accumulated about 3 decent dress shoes and all of them are Allen Edmonds. In the next few months, I'd like to take a step up in the world of leather dress shoes and purchase something that is better such as C&J or Carmina. What would be a good brand that would be considered a step up from AE?
Currently have =
AE fifth avenue
BB captoe (made by AE)
Also have some derbies from Common Projects and a casual oxford from Yuketen.
I should note that I work in a casual tech setting and never wear suits to work. I can wear whatever I want and often dress more MC casual 2-3 days a week and dress down (wear sneakers) the other days.post #18555 of 3120311/20/12 at 11:39am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Poor man's watch thread 1 minute ago
- › FW15 Nonnative Dweller 5P Jeans Cotton Twill Overdyed 3 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 4 minutes ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Alligator / Crocodile Shoes 8 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015