Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 4:34 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on Today at 3:55 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1236
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18527 of 3107111/19/12 at 8:02ampost #18528 of 3107111/19/12 at 11:47ampost #18529 of 3107111/19/12 at 12:44pmpost #18530 of 3107111/19/12 at 12:56pmpost #18531 of 3107111/19/12 at 1:08pmpost #18532 of 3107111/19/12 at 3:12pmQuote:
Who is the maker on the shoes? I think a re-crafting service, if available from the maker, would do the trick for you. Other than that, if you haven't used saddle soap to clean off all the wax to take a look at what lie underneath, I'd recommend it and proceed from there.post #18533 of 3107111/19/12 at 5:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by IrateCustomer
Who is the maker on the shoes? I think a re-crafting service, if available from the maker, would do the trick for you. Other than that, if you haven't used saddle soap to clean off all the wax to take a look at what lie underneath, I'd recommend it and proceed from there.
Regular English shoemakers (EG, C&J). Re-crafting is always an option but too expensive for the value in my case. I don't mind the color, just wonder if there is any cheap/quick fix.post #18534 of 3107111/19/12 at 7:01pmpost #18535 of 3107111/19/12 at 9:10pmpost #18536 of 3107111/19/12 at 9:17pmpost #18537 of 3107111/19/12 at 9:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout
So, I was wondering if you could tell me what I could wear with these. They are a reddish/brown pair of loafers. I was told that I cannot wear these with jeans because they are too formal looking. Is this true? Also, what kind of socks would I wear with these?
I'd say you can't wear those with jeans because they're too ugly looking. I recommend donating those.
EDIT: I realize that that sounds harsh. I wasn't trying to be offensive, I just think there's a lot of unnecessary stitching that's pretty ugly.
Edited by Chase H - 11/19/12 at 9:58pmpost #18538 of 3107111/19/12 at 9:40pmQuote:You could wear them with most anything from jeans, up through chinos and cords, all the way to wool trousers w/sportcoat.
I'm not one who holds fast to the rule about not wearing loafers with suits, although the loafers in question don't strike me as being a particularly good pairing with most suits.Quote:Well, now you've been told that you can wear them with jeans, and that they're not too formal looking.I was told that I cannot wear these with jeans because they are too formal looking.
Penny loafers and jeans is a very traditional combination. Not everybody cares for it, and presumably the person who told you your loafers were too formal to wear with jeans doesn't care for it. But it's been a widely accepted pairing for 60+ years now.Quote:You could opt not to wear socks with them. (Not my favorite look, but I'm not terribly offended by it during the warm weather months.) Plenty of men opt for solid color socks. (JFK often wore them this way.) I not infrequently wear mine with argyles. (The picture, below, shows James Dean wearing argyle socks with his penny loafers..)Also, what kind of socks would I wear with these?
Michaelpost #18539 of 3107111/19/12 at 10:47pmpost #18540 of 3107111/20/12 at 3:28am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 44 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 9 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 12 minutes ago
- › Ambrosi Napoli 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 13 minutes ago
- › The Architecture Thread 17 minutes ago
- › SW&D Sneakers and Trainers Challenge: 1 August – 9 August 2015 17 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...