or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1224

post #18346 of 33020
While we're on the subject of AE, has anyone been to the AE outlet in Ohio (Tanger Outlets)? Is it worth a trip?
post #18347 of 33020

Bought a pair of trousers which fit fine but seem to "sway" at the bottom when I'm walking, they're wool. Never been a fan of hemming but would a hem help them fall better?

 

They are 34 x 32 by the way.

post #18348 of 33020
What do you mean buy "sway"? Are they too roomy in the cuff for your tastes, and not tapered enough to have a more modern look?

Pics if possible.
post #18349 of 33020

I'll edit this post with a picture when I get back. By sway I mean when I take a step the front of pant will go forward and sort of come back and hit my ankle when I retract my step I've been thinking about getting it tapered but thought a hem might do a better job of preventing that.

post #18350 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dena View Post

I'll edit this post with a picture when I get back. By sway I mean when I take a step the front of pant will go forward and sort of come back and hit my ankle when I retract my step I've been thinking about getting it tapered but thought a hem might do a better job of preventing that.

Tapering and shortening are two very different thing. If the trousers are too long, have them shortened. If you want them trimmer, have them tapered.

Example of the different breaks here: http://www.effortlessgent.com/the-break-how-to-choose-the-best-pants-length-how-to-tell-your-tailor/
post #18351 of 33020

looking for a nice leather belt that's better suited for formal wear. any recommednations? preferably less than 100. simple, probably a sqaure buckle. 

post #18352 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


Tapering and shortening are two very different thing. If the trousers are too long, have them shortened. If you want them trimmer, have them tapered.
Example of the different breaks here: http://www.effortlessgent.com/the-break-how-to-choose-the-best-pants-length-how-to-tell-your-tailor/

 

Thank you, the length is fine, just seems that the leg opening is too much, I measured them before and they are an 8", most of my trousers are "7.5, so I'll definitely have them tapered over the weekend. 

post #18353 of 33020

Two questions...answers to either or both would be much appreciated! 

 

 

QUESTION 1:

 

A) If a tailor takes IN the waist on trousers (34 -> 32), can it be reversed in the future (32 -> 34), or is it permanent?

 

B) If a tailor takes OUT the waist on trousers (32 -> 34), can it be reversed in the future (34 -> 32), or is it permanent.

 

 

QUESTION 2:

 

Which is better:

 

A) Buy trousers with an ideal waist but baggy thighs (and have thighs taken in).

 

B) Buy trousers with ideal thighs ( andhave the waist taken in).

 

 

Thanks!! :)

post #18354 of 33020
bik,

I don't think belts are for formal wear.
post #18355 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post

bik,
I don't think belts are for formal wear.

what? why not? okay so maybe formal isn't the right word. i'm thinking like business casual type of wear.

post #18356 of 33020
Formalwear means tux and stuff- traditionally no belts. Try Trafalgar.
post #18357 of 33020

So there are some great deals to be had out there on SCs and Suits, however my question is, I am right at a 38R.  If I buy a 40R jacket (implying a good tailor) can it be tailored sufficiently to fit me well?

post #18358 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhors2 View Post

I am right at a 38R.  If I buy a 40R jacket (implying a good tailor) can it be tailored sufficiently to fit me well?
Given sufficient money and sufficient tailoring skill, almost any downsize alteration is possible. But as a practical matter, it is almost always far wiser to buy the right size, than to buy the wrong size in the expectation that it can be altered to fit.

Yes, even when the right size is more difficult to find than is the wrong size.
post #18359 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhors2 View Post

So there are some great deals to be had out there on SCs and Suits, however my question is, I am right at a 38R.  If I buy a 40R jacket (implying a good tailor) can it be tailored sufficiently to fit me well?


I have found that getting the right measurements, and not the numerical size of the SC is what's most important. Certain companies will label an SC a 38r, and its the same size as another company's 40r.

If you have to do too much tailoring, you're out more money than you're saving on those great deals.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
post #18360 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post


I have found that getting the right measurements, and not the numerical size of the SC is what's most important. Certain companies will label an SC a 38r, and its the same size as another company's 40r.
If you have to do too much tailoring, you're out more money than you're saving on those great deals.
Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Given sufficient money and sufficient tailoring skill, almost any downsize alteration is possible. But as a practical matter, it is almost always far wiser to buy the right size, than to buy the wrong size in the expectation that it can be altered to fit.
Yes, even when the right size is more difficult to find than is the wrong size.

Thanks for the input!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)