is this complete junk or maybe worth the 175$ price for a black tie event I have to attend?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Yesterday at 11:25 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1206post #18076 of 2969010/20/12 at 7:12pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18077 of 2969010/21/12 at 12:13ampost #18078 of 2969010/21/12 at 3:11ampost #18079 of 2969010/21/12 at 7:22ampost #18080 of 2969010/21/12 at 7:41amQuote:
I notices that and, for the price, I am certainly suspicious. Do you think it's a better bet than going with a 299$ men's wear house tux though? Or renting one for 120? I prefer buying so I can at least tailor it to fit me properly, but do not want to spend more than 300.post #18081 of 2969010/21/12 at 8:13amQuote:
Solid Navy or Burgundy?post #18082 of 2969010/21/12 at 11:23amQuote:Originally Posted by dmass1
I notices that and, for the price, I am certainly suspicious. Do you think it's a better bet than going with a 299$ men's wear house tux though? Or renting one for 120? I prefer buying so I can at least tailor it to fit me properly, but do not want to spend more than 300.
I'd never endorse Men's Wearhouse, but that eBay seller also has a few negatives with comments about the cheapness of some other suits.
Getting a deal on a tux is tough when you need one right away. Renting for this event, but then saving for something better and continuing to patrol eBay may be your best bet. Good luck.post #18083 of 2969010/21/12 at 12:17pmpost #18084 of 2969010/22/12 at 8:17amQuote:Originally Posted by Syllinger
How does this look?
My only fear is that the suit has a very subtle brown hue to it, and by that I mean it's more brown than it would be black or blue. Fabric swatch below for a better look at the color.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That's a very spread collar.post #18085 of 2969010/22/12 at 8:20amQuote:
The tie and knot is bad. Smaller knot, different tie. Also don't wear a striped shirt with a striped suit. Too much going on. Wear either a light blue shirt and navy tie, or a white shirt with a navy, silver, or black tie.post #18086 of 2969010/22/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by Syllinger
How does this look?
My only fear is that the suit has a very subtle brown hue to it, and by that I mean it's more brown than it would be black or blue. Fabric swatch below for a better look at the color. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The tie is horrendous (looks 1980s from a thrift store). Also, learn to tie with a dimple. Both shirt & jacket have small stripes which is a big no. For those who are new with pattern coordination, the safe bet is to have a solid pattern on one garment.post #18087 of 2969010/22/12 at 9:04amIf suit is a little brown then an off white (or cream) solid shirt will work and maybe a brown textured tie, or rust.
Knot of tie: try the old school boy knot called a four in hand rather than half windsor. Can get a dimple by pinching as you narrowing towards the neck when doing up.post #18088 of 2969010/22/12 at 2:36pmQuote:
sounds like just "summer outdoor wear". where in the caribbean is this?
depending on the answer, a guayabera would be the traditional (local) choice
white, long-sleeved, don't tuck it in, button almost all the buttons, and please wear an undershirt!
get linen if you can, to avoid being see-through. avoid the cheap cotton/poly blends. color details on the embroidery are fine (some really nice ones have small flowers), but keep it simple. you should be able to easily get one in-country for under $50. if you don't want to go this route, then a white/pale shirt is sufficient.
jacket is optional if guayabera, but otherwise something light/mid grey, light blue, or cream/tan (in no particular order).
as it's casual, you have some room to play with on the trouser front: chinos, or mid-grey cotton are pretty standard; whatever goes with the jacket. linen would be great except most linen trousers are too baggy gringo-on-holiday casual & not sharp enough. for shoes, sounds like regular office-dress shoes, fancy casual, or a nice pair of loafers, probably in brown though nothing wrong with black or cordovan if it goes with the trousers.
if outdoors in summer, consider a panama hat.post #18089 of 2969010/22/12 at 2:53pm
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Currently, there are 1156 Active Users (157 Members and 999 Guests)
- › gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci 5 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 9 minutes ago
- › Gitman Brothers Vintage 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 13 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 15 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 25 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 26 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE Jan 30, 2015: A study in stripes, part deux 27 minutes ago
- › DLester's "Official Repository of Things That Are Awful Yet I Like... 28 minutes ago
- › Bespoke suit in Newcastle (UK) 30 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays