Solid Navy or Burgundy?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 11:21 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1206post #18076 of 3272410/21/12 at 8:13ampost #18077 of 3272410/21/12 at 11:23amQuote:Originally Posted by dmass1
I notices that and, for the price, I am certainly suspicious. Do you think it's a better bet than going with a 299$ men's wear house tux though? Or renting one for 120? I prefer buying so I can at least tailor it to fit me properly, but do not want to spend more than 300.
I'd never endorse Men's Wearhouse, but that eBay seller also has a few negatives with comments about the cheapness of some other suits.
Getting a deal on a tux is tough when you need one right away. Renting for this event, but then saving for something better and continuing to patrol eBay may be your best bet. Good luck.post #18078 of 3272410/21/12 at 12:17pmpost #18079 of 3272410/22/12 at 8:17amQuote:Originally Posted by Syllinger
How does this look?
My only fear is that the suit has a very subtle brown hue to it, and by that I mean it's more brown than it would be black or blue. Fabric swatch below for a better look at the color.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That's a very spread collar.post #18080 of 3272410/22/12 at 8:20amQuote:
The tie and knot is bad. Smaller knot, different tie. Also don't wear a striped shirt with a striped suit. Too much going on. Wear either a light blue shirt and navy tie, or a white shirt with a navy, silver, or black tie.post #18081 of 3272410/22/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by Syllinger
How does this look?
My only fear is that the suit has a very subtle brown hue to it, and by that I mean it's more brown than it would be black or blue. Fabric swatch below for a better look at the color. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The tie is horrendous (looks 1980s from a thrift store). Also, learn to tie with a dimple. Both shirt & jacket have small stripes which is a big no. For those who are new with pattern coordination, the safe bet is to have a solid pattern on one garment.post #18082 of 3272410/22/12 at 9:04amIf suit is a little brown then an off white (or cream) solid shirt will work and maybe a brown textured tie, or rust.
Knot of tie: try the old school boy knot called a four in hand rather than half windsor. Can get a dimple by pinching as you narrowing towards the neck when doing up.post #18083 of 3272410/22/12 at 2:36pmQuote:
sounds like just "summer outdoor wear". where in the caribbean is this?
depending on the answer, a guayabera would be the traditional (local) choice
white, long-sleeved, don't tuck it in, button almost all the buttons, and please wear an undershirt!
get linen if you can, to avoid being see-through. avoid the cheap cotton/poly blends. color details on the embroidery are fine (some really nice ones have small flowers), but keep it simple. you should be able to easily get one in-country for under $50. if you don't want to go this route, then a white/pale shirt is sufficient.
jacket is optional if guayabera, but otherwise something light/mid grey, light blue, or cream/tan (in no particular order).
as it's casual, you have some room to play with on the trouser front: chinos, or mid-grey cotton are pretty standard; whatever goes with the jacket. linen would be great except most linen trousers are too baggy gringo-on-holiday casual & not sharp enough. for shoes, sounds like regular office-dress shoes, fancy casual, or a nice pair of loafers, probably in brown though nothing wrong with black or cordovan if it goes with the trousers.
if outdoors in summer, consider a panama hat.post #18084 of 3272410/22/12 at 2:53pmpost #18085 of 3272410/22/12 at 3:14pmpost #18086 of 3272410/22/12 at 3:37pmColor for pair of 2nd shoes?
I've got basic black office/work/nice shoes. I'm about to buy a second pair of 'good' shoes, specifically the strap Jodphurs from Dehner (
http://dehner.com/customshoes_paddock.html ) which look like this in their "tan" (mid-brown):
I'm in both engineering academia and the PNW, so anything that can't be worn to the pub would stand out overly much from my peers (it is assumed I am interviewing for jobs elsewhere on days I wear a jacket), and I need to actually be able to walk a few miles per day in my shoes.
What color to get? Mid-brown, dark brown, or #23 cordovan?
Here are the 3 leathers, though not in the style i want:
Things I'll be wearing with the shoes:
My trousers tend towards grey, very dark jeans, and sometimes chinos/khakis. Never black, nor navy, though maybe I should get some navy wool ones this winter.
Shirts: lots of blue (light&dark); some pink/lavender are my main non-white colors.
Jackets: mid-grey, tan.
Jumpers: grey, claret, blue.
I am leaning towards the mid-brown (boy, are there some pretty ones posted in the Tan Shoe thread), but I worry it would stand out too much against the dark trousers & jeans? From talking to the sales rep at Dehner, the mid-brown will not darken much over time.
Dark brown seems too boring, and cordovan is pretty, but I've never owned cordovan before so I worry that I'll screw up the care.
yer advices, please?
Edited by guayabera - 10/23/12 at 10:30ampost #18087 of 3272410/22/12 at 3:50pmpost #18088 of 3272410/22/12 at 4:14pmpost #18089 of 3272410/22/12 at 4:44pm
OK, thanks for the vote of confidence. It fits me like no other jacket I have, and it feels so regal, for lack of a better term. I love wearing it, but I see newer pieces with slightly less wide peaked lapels on DB's.
To hell with the trends ! I am not fashion, I am style !
Thanks guys !!post #18090 of 3272410/22/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by clotheshound
Honest opinion please. Does my beloved Canali DB 6X2 look a bit dated? Specifically the lapel width. Thanks. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
For my eyes, it looks dated, from both the style and the color. Though the lapel width is not necessary the indicator (Tom Ford has a bunch of huge lapel designs last winter). I would be interested to see how you can pull it off.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Antonio Maurizi 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 7 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding