Solid Navy or Burgundy?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Yesterday at 2:58 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1206post #18076 of 3312310/21/12 at 8:13ampost #18077 of 3312310/21/12 at 11:23amQuote:Originally Posted by dmass1
I notices that and, for the price, I am certainly suspicious. Do you think it's a better bet than going with a 299$ men's wear house tux though? Or renting one for 120? I prefer buying so I can at least tailor it to fit me properly, but do not want to spend more than 300.
I'd never endorse Men's Wearhouse, but that eBay seller also has a few negatives with comments about the cheapness of some other suits.
Getting a deal on a tux is tough when you need one right away. Renting for this event, but then saving for something better and continuing to patrol eBay may be your best bet. Good luck.post #18078 of 3312310/21/12 at 12:17pmpost #18079 of 3312310/22/12 at 8:17amQuote:Originally Posted by Syllinger
How does this look?
My only fear is that the suit has a very subtle brown hue to it, and by that I mean it's more brown than it would be black or blue. Fabric swatch below for a better look at the color.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That's a very spread collar.post #18080 of 3312310/22/12 at 8:20amQuote:
The tie and knot is bad. Smaller knot, different tie. Also don't wear a striped shirt with a striped suit. Too much going on. Wear either a light blue shirt and navy tie, or a white shirt with a navy, silver, or black tie.post #18081 of 3312310/22/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by Syllinger
How does this look?
My only fear is that the suit has a very subtle brown hue to it, and by that I mean it's more brown than it would be black or blue. Fabric swatch below for a better look at the color. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The tie is horrendous (looks 1980s from a thrift store). Also, learn to tie with a dimple. Both shirt & jacket have small stripes which is a big no. For those who are new with pattern coordination, the safe bet is to have a solid pattern on one garment.post #18082 of 3312310/22/12 at 9:04amIf suit is a little brown then an off white (or cream) solid shirt will work and maybe a brown textured tie, or rust.
Knot of tie: try the old school boy knot called a four in hand rather than half windsor. Can get a dimple by pinching as you narrowing towards the neck when doing up.post #18083 of 3312310/22/12 at 2:36pmQuote:
sounds like just "summer outdoor wear". where in the caribbean is this?
depending on the answer, a guayabera would be the traditional (local) choice
white, long-sleeved, don't tuck it in, button almost all the buttons, and please wear an undershirt!
get linen if you can, to avoid being see-through. avoid the cheap cotton/poly blends. color details on the embroidery are fine (some really nice ones have small flowers), but keep it simple. you should be able to easily get one in-country for under $50. if you don't want to go this route, then a white/pale shirt is sufficient.
jacket is optional if guayabera, but otherwise something light/mid grey, light blue, or cream/tan (in no particular order).
as it's casual, you have some room to play with on the trouser front: chinos, or mid-grey cotton are pretty standard; whatever goes with the jacket. linen would be great except most linen trousers are too baggy gringo-on-holiday casual & not sharp enough. for shoes, sounds like regular office-dress shoes, fancy casual, or a nice pair of loafers, probably in brown though nothing wrong with black or cordovan if it goes with the trousers.
if outdoors in summer, consider a panama hat.post #18084 of 3312310/22/12 at 2:53pmpost #18085 of 3312310/22/12 at 3:14pmpost #18086 of 3312310/22/12 at 3:37pmColor for pair of 2nd shoes?
I've got basic black office/work/nice shoes. I'm about to buy a second pair of 'good' shoes, specifically the strap Jodphurs from Dehner (
http://dehner.com/customshoes_paddock.html ) which look like this in their "tan" (mid-brown):
I'm in both engineering academia and the PNW, so anything that can't be worn to the pub would stand out overly much from my peers (it is assumed I am interviewing for jobs elsewhere on days I wear a jacket), and I need to actually be able to walk a few miles per day in my shoes.
What color to get? Mid-brown, dark brown, or #23 cordovan?
Here are the 3 leathers, though not in the style i want:
Things I'll be wearing with the shoes:
My trousers tend towards grey, very dark jeans, and sometimes chinos/khakis. Never black, nor navy, though maybe I should get some navy wool ones this winter.
Shirts: lots of blue (light&dark); some pink/lavender are my main non-white colors.
Jackets: mid-grey, tan.
Jumpers: grey, claret, blue.
I am leaning towards the mid-brown (boy, are there some pretty ones posted in the Tan Shoe thread), but I worry it would stand out too much against the dark trousers & jeans? From talking to the sales rep at Dehner, the mid-brown will not darken much over time.
Dark brown seems too boring, and cordovan is pretty, but I've never owned cordovan before so I worry that I'll screw up the care.
yer advices, please?
Edited by guayabera - 10/23/12 at 10:30ampost #18087 of 3312310/22/12 at 3:50pmpost #18088 of 3312310/22/12 at 4:14pmpost #18089 of 3312310/22/12 at 4:44pm
OK, thanks for the vote of confidence. It fits me like no other jacket I have, and it feels so regal, for lack of a better term. I love wearing it, but I see newer pieces with slightly less wide peaked lapels on DB's.
To hell with the trends ! I am not fashion, I am style !
Thanks guys !!post #18090 of 3312310/22/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by clotheshound
Honest opinion please. Does my beloved Canali DB 6X2 look a bit dated? Specifically the lapel width. Thanks. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
For my eyes, it looks dated, from both the style and the color. Though the lapel width is not necessary the indicator (Tom Ford has a bunch of huge lapel designs last winter). I would be interested to see how you can pull it off.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › 2 Pair of NIB Red Wing Boots Size 10.5D - 6" Moc Toe "Roughneck" &... 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 6 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Rubinacci "...Best Bespoke Tailor on Earth..." article 6 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 12 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...