Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:53 pm in Classic Menswear
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 12:48 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 5/14/15 at 3:36am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 11:23 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1205post #18061 of 3072610/20/12 at 12:01am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18062 of 3072610/20/12 at 4:10am
Gents, what is the appropriate practice for choosing the colour of one's braces, and which purchases would be the most versatile?
I am guessing something complementing but not matching shirt & tie would be pleasing to the eye. This would mean that crimson/wine, darkish green and navy would cover most situations. I see that Thurston also has white, grey, and black offerings. Thoughts?post #18063 of 3072610/20/12 at 4:50am
I have a newbie question (sorry if this has been asked before, but the search function is a bit blunt): TM Lewin has a large selection of cheap but nice-looking ties in geometrical patterns. I recently ordered a few, but was disappointed when I received them with how thick they were. None of my older ties, including some English ties and some old, inherited ones, feels like this. Their thickness is almost mattress-like, as if there was a thinnish layer of foam inside. I find it difficult to get a nice knot with these ties.
So before I order any more ties via the internet, I would like to know, how common or typical is this type of thick tie? Is it just TML, or all cheap British ties? Are there even high-end ties that have this type of thickness? What brands should I buy or avoid?
Another question: any thoughts about somehow un- or relining these ties? They're cheap enough that I might attempt to dissect one and do it myself, but has anyone tried this? What kind of material should I use to replace the current lining?
post #18064 of 3072610/20/12 at 5:11ampost #18065 of 3072610/20/12 at 6:25ampost #18066 of 3072610/20/12 at 7:01amQuote:Originally Posted by clarksdb
Man WTF is the other part of the forum thinking? Those are awful.
I've said it before on this thread, and I'll say it again. That places scares me.post #18067 of 3072610/20/12 at 9:10ampost #18068 of 3072610/20/12 at 11:07amQuote:Strictly speaking, your suspenders should not be seen in public. They're like underwear that way. So, if you hold to this standard, and wear a jacket over your suspenders, and keep your jacket on, it doesn't matter what color the suspenders are. Yes, I recognize that many men habitually remove their jackets at work, at social events, etc. But that's the traditional, conservative rule, so I figured I'd at least mention it.
If you intend to go around with your suspenders visible, well, then I suppose suspenders which are compatible with the rest of your attire in terms of formality, color, pattern, fabric, etc., would work best. (Note that "compatible" isn't necessarily the same thing as "matching." It's much the same way as how a pocket square, necktie, and suit, when worn together, should all be compatible with each other, but it's typically best if they do not all match each other.)
Michaelpost #18069 of 3072610/20/12 at 2:40pmpost #18070 of 3072610/20/12 at 2:47pmpost #18071 of 3072610/20/12 at 3:37pmQuote:Quote:
The things people will do in the name of fashion...post #18072 of 3072610/20/12 at 4:57pmpost #18073 of 3072610/20/12 at 7:12pmpost #18074 of 3072610/21/12 at 12:13am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 24 seconds ago
- › I Love Eating 26 seconds ago
- › Leather Quality and Properties 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › தேவ் 7073347120 vashikaran meaning In Mumbai 6 minutes ago
- › The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread 6 minutes ago
- › தேவ் 7073347120 vashikaran meaning In Mumbai 6 minutes ago
- › தேவ் 7073347120 vashikaran astrologer In Mumbai 6 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan