Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 5:17 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 2/22/15 at 7:08am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:47 pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:36 pm in Classic Menswear
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1205post #18061 of 3016810/20/12 at 12:01am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18062 of 3016810/20/12 at 4:10am
Gents, what is the appropriate practice for choosing the colour of one's braces, and which purchases would be the most versatile?
I am guessing something complementing but not matching shirt & tie would be pleasing to the eye. This would mean that crimson/wine, darkish green and navy would cover most situations. I see that Thurston also has white, grey, and black offerings. Thoughts?post #18063 of 3016810/20/12 at 4:50am
I have a newbie question (sorry if this has been asked before, but the search function is a bit blunt): TM Lewin has a large selection of cheap but nice-looking ties in geometrical patterns. I recently ordered a few, but was disappointed when I received them with how thick they were. None of my older ties, including some English ties and some old, inherited ones, feels like this. Their thickness is almost mattress-like, as if there was a thinnish layer of foam inside. I find it difficult to get a nice knot with these ties.
So before I order any more ties via the internet, I would like to know, how common or typical is this type of thick tie? Is it just TML, or all cheap British ties? Are there even high-end ties that have this type of thickness? What brands should I buy or avoid?
Another question: any thoughts about somehow un- or relining these ties? They're cheap enough that I might attempt to dissect one and do it myself, but has anyone tried this? What kind of material should I use to replace the current lining?
post #18064 of 3016810/20/12 at 5:11ampost #18065 of 3016810/20/12 at 6:25ampost #18066 of 3016810/20/12 at 7:01amQuote:Originally Posted by clarksdb
Man WTF is the other part of the forum thinking? Those are awful.
I've said it before on this thread, and I'll say it again. That places scares me.post #18067 of 3016810/20/12 at 9:10ampost #18068 of 3016810/20/12 at 11:07amQuote:Strictly speaking, your suspenders should not be seen in public. They're like underwear that way. So, if you hold to this standard, and wear a jacket over your suspenders, and keep your jacket on, it doesn't matter what color the suspenders are. Yes, I recognize that many men habitually remove their jackets at work, at social events, etc. But that's the traditional, conservative rule, so I figured I'd at least mention it.
If you intend to go around with your suspenders visible, well, then I suppose suspenders which are compatible with the rest of your attire in terms of formality, color, pattern, fabric, etc., would work best. (Note that "compatible" isn't necessarily the same thing as "matching." It's much the same way as how a pocket square, necktie, and suit, when worn together, should all be compatible with each other, but it's typically best if they do not all match each other.)
Michaelpost #18069 of 3016810/20/12 at 2:40pmpost #18070 of 3016810/20/12 at 2:47pmpost #18071 of 3016810/20/12 at 3:37pmQuote:Quote:
The things people will do in the name of fashion...post #18072 of 3016810/20/12 at 4:57pmpost #18073 of 3016810/20/12 at 7:12pmpost #18074 of 3016810/21/12 at 12:13am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SuitSupply Jort 34R Grey Birdseye 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 8 minutes ago
- › Heard of Schofield & Smith company? 8 minutes ago
- › gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci 8 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Proposal Stage, 2 weeks!: Viberg for Styleforum preorders Round1 -... 13 minutes ago
- › looking for shirt 14 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 16 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 20 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...