Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:29 am in Classic Menswear
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 7:24 am in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 3/15/15 at 11:12am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 5:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:55 am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: Today
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1205post #18061 of 3036910/20/12 at 12:01am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18062 of 3036910/20/12 at 4:10am
Gents, what is the appropriate practice for choosing the colour of one's braces, and which purchases would be the most versatile?
I am guessing something complementing but not matching shirt & tie would be pleasing to the eye. This would mean that crimson/wine, darkish green and navy would cover most situations. I see that Thurston also has white, grey, and black offerings. Thoughts?post #18063 of 3036910/20/12 at 4:50am
I have a newbie question (sorry if this has been asked before, but the search function is a bit blunt): TM Lewin has a large selection of cheap but nice-looking ties in geometrical patterns. I recently ordered a few, but was disappointed when I received them with how thick they were. None of my older ties, including some English ties and some old, inherited ones, feels like this. Their thickness is almost mattress-like, as if there was a thinnish layer of foam inside. I find it difficult to get a nice knot with these ties.
So before I order any more ties via the internet, I would like to know, how common or typical is this type of thick tie? Is it just TML, or all cheap British ties? Are there even high-end ties that have this type of thickness? What brands should I buy or avoid?
Another question: any thoughts about somehow un- or relining these ties? They're cheap enough that I might attempt to dissect one and do it myself, but has anyone tried this? What kind of material should I use to replace the current lining?
post #18064 of 3036910/20/12 at 5:11ampost #18065 of 3036910/20/12 at 6:25ampost #18066 of 3036910/20/12 at 7:01amQuote:Originally Posted by clarksdb
Man WTF is the other part of the forum thinking? Those are awful.
I've said it before on this thread, and I'll say it again. That places scares me.post #18067 of 3036910/20/12 at 9:10ampost #18068 of 3036910/20/12 at 11:07amQuote:Strictly speaking, your suspenders should not be seen in public. They're like underwear that way. So, if you hold to this standard, and wear a jacket over your suspenders, and keep your jacket on, it doesn't matter what color the suspenders are. Yes, I recognize that many men habitually remove their jackets at work, at social events, etc. But that's the traditional, conservative rule, so I figured I'd at least mention it.
If you intend to go around with your suspenders visible, well, then I suppose suspenders which are compatible with the rest of your attire in terms of formality, color, pattern, fabric, etc., would work best. (Note that "compatible" isn't necessarily the same thing as "matching." It's much the same way as how a pocket square, necktie, and suit, when worn together, should all be compatible with each other, but it's typically best if they do not all match each other.)
Michaelpost #18069 of 3036910/20/12 at 2:40pmpost #18070 of 3036910/20/12 at 2:47pmpost #18071 of 3036910/20/12 at 3:37pmQuote:Quote:
The things people will do in the name of fashion...post #18072 of 3036910/20/12 at 4:57pmpost #18073 of 3036910/20/12 at 7:12pmpost #18074 of 3036910/21/12 at 12:13am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › looking for MTM suit in Washington DC Area 37 seconds ago
- › The MBA Thread 54 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Cigars 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 2 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...