or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1105

post #16561 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

They're crease marks and I wouldn't consider them a big deal unless they were a lot bigger or deeper. It's inevitable that you will get them across the instep of the shoe where it flexes as you walk.
+1. Especially on cheap Cole Haans.
post #16562 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

Patch or flap pockets would be roughly equal in appropriateness. Hacking pockets are more appropriate on jackets with sporting origins.

Are slanted/hacking pockets the same as crescent pockets.
post #16563 of 30115
Crescent are shaped like a crescent. See here:

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5490
post #16564 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGittes View Post

So we all know belt should match shoes, but not exactly (unless black).

But how much "unexactitude" is right? I try to keep at least a tonal and/or shade relationship; that is, if shoes are reddish brown, a similar, but darker or lighter reddish brown for the belt; not a chocolate, or a honey brown. Am I overthinking it?

Also, what do you couple an animal skin-like texture belt with, like a brown croc belt? Plain shoes in a similar colour?

Thanks!

I think you have the right idea with a tonal/shade complement between belt and shoes. As you said, a reddish brown belt looks off with a honey brown shoe, but they need not match exactly. I don't wear belts in exotic materials, but if I did, I would want a closer color match between belt and calf shoe given the already significant difference in texture between the two.
post #16565 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphite View Post

QUICK QUESTION:
I'm a J.Crew shopper through and through > I have lots of well fitted chinos and button-downs that I wear with AE brogues/chukkas/Alden boots.  I'm upgrading my wardrobe and am looking for opinions on where to start looking for nicer/cleaner, but still stylish pants and shirts. I'm not crazy about J.Crew's selection on this front, so I'm trying to branch out. I feel confident that I can find good sportcoats and I know shoes well, but I'm at a loss as to where to go for the next level of business casual (barf) attire that fits well, is versatile and understated but stylish. Thanks gents.

My recommendation for blazers, in terms of increasing choices, uniquness and prices: Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers, Made-To-Measure, bespoke.

For shoes, Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, C&J (all on sale).
post #16566 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Crescent are shaped like a crescent. See here:

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5490

A shape, I might add, that is significantly more common (though conceptually different) on breast pockets than hip pockets.
post #16567 of 30115

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphite View Post

QUICK QUESTION:
I'm a J.Crew shopper through and through > I have lots of well fitted chinos and button-downs that I wear with AE brogues/chukkas/Alden boots.  I'm upgrading my wardrobe and am looking for opinions on where to start looking for nicer/cleaner, but still stylish pants and shirts. I'm not crazy about J.Crew's selection on this front, so I'm trying to branch out. I feel confident that I can find good sportcoats and I know shoes well, but I'm at a loss as to where to go for the next level of business casual (barf) attire that fits well, is versatile and understated but stylish. Thanks gents.

 

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I thought > I'm looking for recos on pants and shirts specifically.  I'm good on shoes and jackets.

post #16568 of 30115
French proxy service anyone?
post #16569 of 30115

What's the difference between dress belts and casual belts?

 

Is it okey to wear dress belts to jeans? Specifically this Alden dark brown MB 0105 belt

700

post #16570 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

What's the difference between dress belts and casual belts?

Is it okey to wear dress belts to jeans?

There are a number of characteristics that contribute to the formality of a belt. Width -- dress belts are usually in the 1.25-2" range. Much wider or narrower than that is more casual. Leather finish -- most dress belts in calf leather have a pretty plain finish. A rough textured or "oily" finish is more casual. Buckles -- dress belts typically have brass or silver colored buckles in an understated design of approximately the same height as that of the belt. Oversized or elaborate buckles are more casual. You should be able to get a pretty good sense for this by looking at the belts in the pictures in the Men's Clothing forum versus those in the Streetwear & Denim forum or considering the kinds of belts that Brooks Brothers or Paul Stuart sells versus the belts sold by Levi's or [insert streetwear vendor of choice here].

Generally speaking, wearing a dress belt (= more formal) with jeans (= more casual) looks as mismatched and off as wearing a casual belt with dress trousers.
post #16571 of 30115
What color pants and shirt to wear with this sport coat? I will be using it for a wedding


8Gpfx.jpg
post #16572 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by exemplar View Post

What color pants and shirt to wear with this sport coat? I will be using it for a wedding

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
8Gpfx.jpg

Assuming you are not the groom or are in the wedding party, you have lots of options because that is a fairly versatile jacket. Medium gray trousers, a light blue shirt, and a solid navy or solid-ish tie with a navy ground would be among the more sophisticated pairings for that jacket.
post #16573 of 30115
Anyone know where I can find a black/yellow gold reppe tie like this one for under $100? Having trouble finding one-

u60_R_1613b7a6.jpg
post #16574 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

What's the difference between dress belts and casual belts?

Is it okey to wear dress belts to jeans? Specifically this Alden dark brown MB 0105 belt Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

That particular belt is fairly dressy. It will look less out of place if you are wearing "dressier" jeans (not overly faded, stylized, etc.) with a BD shirt than if you are wearing faded and torn jeans with a t-shirt. Personally, I wouldn't wear it with jeans at all.
post #16575 of 30115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag229487 View Post

Anyone know where I can find a black/yellow gold reppe tie like this one for under $100? Having trouble finding one-
u60_R_1613b7a6.jpg

Just a Princeton tie isn't it: http://www.smartturnout.co.uk/products/ties/us-university-ties/university-silk-tie-princeton-university.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)