Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 6:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1091post #16351 of 317258/1/12 at 1:37pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16352 of 317258/1/12 at 2:56pmpost #16353 of 317258/1/12 at 3:09pmpost #16354 of 317258/1/12 at 3:23pmQuote:A solid navy suit with a solid navy tie can be a bit more solid navy than is ideal. Just the same, if the shirt has some interest to it, the combination can work. (And even with a plain white shirt, it's far from the worst look out there.)
A solid navy suit with a navy-based patterned tie is seldom a problem.
Bear in mind, "Is it okay?" is a relatively low standard. Many combinations can look okay, while still being somewhat dull or unimaginative. In some situations, "dull" may not be a bad thing, and personally I'd rather err on the dull side, than on the overly extreme side. Still, most of the time, I try to set my sights at least a little higher than merely "okay."
Michaelpost #16355 of 317258/1/12 at 5:14pmpost #16356 of 317258/1/12 at 6:15pmpost #16357 of 317258/1/12 at 6:52pmHow come Yoox never seems to have any men's suits in short sizes? Or am I just searching incorrectly? I've run searches for every iteration of my size (38S) I can think of -- 38S, 38 short, 48S, 48C, etc., but no dice. Is this just a matter of faulty searching, or is Yoox discriminating against handsome little devils like myself by their abject lack of high-quality duds?post #16358 of 317258/1/12 at 6:52pmpost #16359 of 317258/1/12 at 7:02pm
Similarly, it's usually more difficult to find a size 15EEE pair of shoes, than a pair in 10D.post #16360 of 317258/1/12 at 7:38pmpost #16361 of 317258/1/12 at 8:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by jcb9
Interested in a nice leather jacket that is non-biker like. Any comments on the quality of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280932513767&clk_rvr_id=370665741747&mfe=sidebar#ht_500wt_898?
That style of jacket doesn't work very well with tailored clothing. If you're considering it as a streetwear option, you might consider asking about it in that forum.post #16362 of 317258/1/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by bnovcQuote:
How do you determine this based on creasing? Both of the dress shoes I have (AE 9Ds) have a little bit of crease below the laced area.
Creasing in that area is normal and unavoidable. Creasing in the toe box and/or the heel is often an indicator of poor fit. It's often accompanied by some degree of discomfort since ill-fitting shoes are rarely comfortable.post #16363 of 317258/1/12 at 8:16pmpost #16364 of 317258/1/12 at 8:21pm
It all depends on your personality and the occasion:
*Why is there so much hate towards rubber soles? I'm not talking about the chunky ones like on skechers shoes, but ones that have the same slim appearance from the side as leather soles. I ask this because I'm in Ohio and our weather is crappy about 75% of the time.
Vancouver 80% is rain!
There are very stylized leather shoes with their respective “slim sole” like Prada, there are double layer leather soles in shoes like Canali that gives you better value. A leather sole give you support and breathability but it really depend on the quality of the leather. It’s also considered luxurious!
Are there rules for matching socks?
Depending on the occasion, if you want to be conservative match it with your trouser, if you wanna be cool get a funky colorful one but always try to match it with colors that your outfit may have like you tie, pocket square, shirt, etc so the level of coordination and detail is higher!
Break on your trouser?
It really depends on your personality and occasion, the trend is to barely touch your shoe but it has to be an aggressively narrow leg and well coordinated with a respective shoe otherwise it does not look appropriate.
Harry Rosenpost #16365 of 317258/1/12 at 8:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by cptjeff
I'll second this. I've never seen an untucked long sleeve shirt that looked good, they all look like you're trying to hide a paunch or just resented the fact that your mother made you tuck your shirt in. Casually or not. If you insist, shortening is certainly possible, and you'll look less stupid.
The only time untucked shirts look good is when they're short sleeved sport shirts, flat hemmed or short, and being worn with shorts or swim trunks. Preferably at the pool or beach.
And before you call me an out of touch old man or something, I'm in my mid 20's.
oops! I will disagree a bit here. I sometimes wear shorts, chinos or jeans with the shirt untucked. I think that, if the shirt has short tails (i.e.falling just a couple of inches below the waist), then it was meant to be worn either way.
and before I get marked as a sloppy young man, I'm in my mid 40s :D (sloppy old man maybe?)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 34 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV... 7 minutes ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories