Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:08 pm in Classic Menswear
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 5:28 am in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 3/15/15 at 11:12am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 6:57 am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:57 am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1091post #16351 of 303838/1/12 at 1:37pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16352 of 303838/1/12 at 2:56pmpost #16353 of 303838/1/12 at 3:09pmpost #16354 of 303838/1/12 at 3:23pmQuote:A solid navy suit with a solid navy tie can be a bit more solid navy than is ideal. Just the same, if the shirt has some interest to it, the combination can work. (And even with a plain white shirt, it's far from the worst look out there.)
A solid navy suit with a navy-based patterned tie is seldom a problem.
Bear in mind, "Is it okay?" is a relatively low standard. Many combinations can look okay, while still being somewhat dull or unimaginative. In some situations, "dull" may not be a bad thing, and personally I'd rather err on the dull side, than on the overly extreme side. Still, most of the time, I try to set my sights at least a little higher than merely "okay."
Michaelpost #16355 of 303838/1/12 at 5:14pmpost #16356 of 303838/1/12 at 6:15pmpost #16357 of 303838/1/12 at 6:52pmHow come Yoox never seems to have any men's suits in short sizes? Or am I just searching incorrectly? I've run searches for every iteration of my size (38S) I can think of -- 38S, 38 short, 48S, 48C, etc., but no dice. Is this just a matter of faulty searching, or is Yoox discriminating against handsome little devils like myself by their abject lack of high-quality duds?post #16358 of 303838/1/12 at 6:52pmpost #16359 of 303838/1/12 at 7:02pm
Similarly, it's usually more difficult to find a size 15EEE pair of shoes, than a pair in 10D.post #16360 of 303838/1/12 at 7:38pmpost #16361 of 303838/1/12 at 8:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by jcb9
Interested in a nice leather jacket that is non-biker like. Any comments on the quality of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280932513767&clk_rvr_id=370665741747&mfe=sidebar#ht_500wt_898?
That style of jacket doesn't work very well with tailored clothing. If you're considering it as a streetwear option, you might consider asking about it in that forum.post #16362 of 303838/1/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by bnovcQuote:
How do you determine this based on creasing? Both of the dress shoes I have (AE 9Ds) have a little bit of crease below the laced area.
Creasing in that area is normal and unavoidable. Creasing in the toe box and/or the heel is often an indicator of poor fit. It's often accompanied by some degree of discomfort since ill-fitting shoes are rarely comfortable.post #16363 of 303838/1/12 at 8:16pmpost #16364 of 303838/1/12 at 8:21pm
It all depends on your personality and the occasion:
*Why is there so much hate towards rubber soles? I'm not talking about the chunky ones like on skechers shoes, but ones that have the same slim appearance from the side as leather soles. I ask this because I'm in Ohio and our weather is crappy about 75% of the time.
Vancouver 80% is rain!
There are very stylized leather shoes with their respective “slim sole” like Prada, there are double layer leather soles in shoes like Canali that gives you better value. A leather sole give you support and breathability but it really depend on the quality of the leather. It’s also considered luxurious!
Are there rules for matching socks?
Depending on the occasion, if you want to be conservative match it with your trouser, if you wanna be cool get a funky colorful one but always try to match it with colors that your outfit may have like you tie, pocket square, shirt, etc so the level of coordination and detail is higher!
Break on your trouser?
It really depends on your personality and occasion, the trend is to barely touch your shoe but it has to be an aggressively narrow leg and well coordinated with a respective shoe otherwise it does not look appropriate.
Harry Rosenpost #16365 of 303838/1/12 at 8:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by cptjeff
I'll second this. I've never seen an untucked long sleeve shirt that looked good, they all look like you're trying to hide a paunch or just resented the fact that your mother made you tuck your shirt in. Casually or not. If you insist, shortening is certainly possible, and you'll look less stupid.
The only time untucked shirts look good is when they're short sleeved sport shirts, flat hemmed or short, and being worn with shorts or swim trunks. Preferably at the pool or beach.
And before you call me an out of touch old man or something, I'm in my mid 20's.
oops! I will disagree a bit here. I sometimes wear shorts, chinos or jeans with the shirt untucked. I think that, if the shirt has short tails (i.e.falling just a couple of inches below the waist), then it was meant to be worn either way.
and before I get marked as a sloppy young man, I'm in my mid 40s :D (sloppy old man maybe?)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 1 minute ago
- › commando lug soles...ishide or vibram? 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 3 minutes ago
- › First and only suit for awhile (upcoming funeral) 3 minutes ago
- › The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 3 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...