or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1077

post #16141 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

Leather elbow patches: hot or not?

Have them attached when the fabric on the elbows starts to wear thin, but don't add them yourself if the jacket doesn't need it yet. They look great on rough fabrics like tweed or corduroy, but they look contrived on an obviously new jacket.
post #16142 of 33197

Formal as in a college ball, ahh it's actually a black suit I don't know why I wrote blue. Shirt, aiming for a light-light blue, lighter than french blue certainly.

post #16143 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingthemerciles View Post

Formal as in a college ball, ahh it's actually a black suit I don't know why I wrote blue. Shirt, aiming for a light-light blue, lighter than french blue certainly.


Very light blue would be fine. A white shirt would also work, and might be the better choice by a slim margin.

 

Have fun.

post #16144 of 33197

[reposting under the "Ask A Question" heading]

 

Hello Everyone,

 

I am a frequent reader, first time poster.  I hope someone can give me some advice.  

 

I live in NYC, and while wandering around today, I came upon a 'sample sale' store in the Soho/Tribeca area.  [Note:  For local readers, the store was located on West Broadway next to another men's store called Beau Brummel.]  They were selling a number of high fashion brands that I recognized, and the pieces seemed authentic (although, admittedly, I probably wouldn't know the difference).  

 

My question, however, concerns a brand that I didn't recognize.  They were selling a suit for about $300 that boasted Super 150's and semi-canvassed construction.  The name on the tag was "Luciano Bardelli."  Frankly, given the specs, it all seemed a little too good to be true.  My question:  is this a real or reputable brand?  

 

Thanks

post #16145 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedagliaDoro View Post

[reposting under the "Ask A Question" heading]



 



Hello Everyone,



 



I am a frequent reader, first time poster.  I hope someone can give me some advice.  



 



I live in NYC, and while wandering around today, I came upon a 'sample sale' store in the Soho/Tribeca area.  [Note:  For local readers, the store was located on West Broadway next to another men's store called Beau Brummel.]  They were selling a number of high fashion brands that I recognized, and the pieces seemed authentic (although, admittedly, I probably wouldn't know the difference).  



 



My question, however, concerns a brand that I didn't recognize.  They were selling a suit for about $300 that boasted Super 150's and semi-canvassed construction.  The name on the tag was "Luciano Bardelli."  Frankly, given the specs, it all seemed a little too good to be true.  My question:  is this a real or reputable brand?  



 



Thanks



I'm sure it's a real brand but will be made by a well known factory and not the brand.
post #16146 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


Have them attached when the fabric on the elbows starts to wear thin, but don't add them yourself if the jacket doesn't need it yet. They look great on rough fabrics like tweed or corduroy, but they look contrived on an obviously new jacket.

What about cashmere cardigans?

post #16147 of 33197

I have a very reddish russet belt.  Is wearing it with beeswax Clark's DBs or tan AE McTavishes acceptable, or should I hang myself for considering it?

post #16148 of 33197
I wear suits 4 days a week. On Friday's I wear a blazer or sport coat. I'd like to expand my all-season rotation (currently a navy blazer, brownish plaid that is tough to describe, a seersucker for summer and two tweeds for winter) but don't want to break the bank considering how little I wear them. There a bunch of Howard Yount's for $549 that I like but for some reason can't pull the trigger on that price (long story). Suit Supply has some great options but not always in the cut or cloth that I need. What other options are out there say between $250 and $450 that still have a modern cut, variety of fabrics, and are well constructed? A place like Macy's or Dillard's or Van Maur often carry models for hefty folks (I live in the midwest where people are fat) so the cuts aren't good for me. JCrew doesn't have much beyond the basics. I'm not walking into JAB. B&S forum is hit or miss. I'm fine ordering online. Is this asking for too much? Just curious, thanks in advance for ideas.
post #16149 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedagliaDoro View Post

[reposting under the "Ask A Question" heading]





My question, however, concerns a brand that I didn't recognize.  They were selling a suit for about $300 that boasted Super 150's and semi-canvassed construction.  The name on the tag was "Luciano Bardelli."  Frankly, given the specs, it all seemed a little too good to be true.  My question:  is this a real or reputable brand?  



 



Thanks



There are a number of knock-off brands that pick Italian or British names. I haven never purchased one because I just simply consider them knock-offs that probably have something decent but incorporate many short-cuts. You might find a gem, or a pant leg falls off in 6 months.
post #16150 of 33197
I had a couple of MTM shirts made and the fabric pulls around the collar/upper chest. What adjustments should I make to avoid this in the future? If I pull the front of the shirt down it 's less noticeable, but I want it gone altogether.

post #16151 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post

I wear suits 4 days a week. On Friday's I wear a blazer or sport coat. I'd like to expand my all-season rotation (currently a navy blazer, brownish plaid that is tough to describe, a seersucker for summer and two tweeds for winter) but don't want to break the bank considering how little I wear them. There a bunch of Howard Yount's for $549 that I like but for some reason can't pull the trigger on that price (long story). Suit Supply has some great options but not always in the cut or cloth that I need. What other options are out there say between $250 and $450 that still have a modern cut, variety of fabrics, and are well constructed? A place like Macy's or Dillard's or Van Maur often carry models for hefty folks (I live in the midwest where people are fat) so the cuts aren't good for me. JCrew doesn't have much beyond the basics. I'm not walking into JAB. B&S forum is hit or miss. I'm fine ordering online. Is this asking for too much? Just curious, thanks in advance for ideas.

Check out Yoox. You can often find good deals there, though you'll probably have to do your homework on many of the brands

Also, discounted Polo sportcoats are available regularly in your price range.
post #16152 of 33197
I purchased a size 36 suit off the rack recently. It fits nice and slim.

Last year I purchased an expensive bespoke suit (from a reputable place) that although should be made for my size, seems more like a 38-39 in the chest at least. I can fit a whole fist and then some under the jacket chest when buttoned. Is this a purposeful style choice or is my suit in need of serious alterations?
I heard on these forums a lot about that you should only be able to fit a palm on your chest. Is this correct?

Edit: I am in shape. No gut.
post #16153 of 33197
a single breasted overcoat out of this fabric, with velour collar, what do you say?
post #16154 of 33197
I love a dramatic overcoat but much prefer the drama come from the cut than the cloth.
post #16155 of 33197

What's the best way to get wrinkles out of silk ties? Hanging for extended periods hasn't done the trick and I'm very hesitant to use an iron, even over a towel and at low temperature.  Any other suggestions? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)