or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1058

post #15856 of 33197

I think I've narrowed my search between 2 suits.  And it has alot to do with the Fabric...

 

Brooks Brothers SaxXon fabric  -vs- Joseph Abboud with Loro Piana fabric

 

Any thoughts?  I have heard that Loro Piana is supposed to be very luxurious.
 

post #15857 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedream View Post

Is there a technical term for shawls on shoes (under tassels in the first image, and below lace holes in second and third image).
Most would call them kilties, I believe that technically, a kiltie is a fringed tongue that flaps over the vamp and conceals all or part of the lacing. It's a term most commonly encountered with regard to the "kiltie loafer," or the even more extreme "kiltie tassel loafer."
Quote:
I assume now they are purely for decorations, but anyone knows the origin behind it.
I vaguely recall reading once that the kiltie derives from a type of Scottish golf shoe.
Quote:
Also, does anyone think those vintage Justin boots (last two images) will be suitable dress boots to be worn with a suit?
Not particularly suitable, no. And not just because of the kilties, either.

But then, this is SF, where no matter how outrageous the idea (sneakers with a tuxedo, shorts instead of trousers for a 3-piece suit, a bright pink Godzilla costume to a state funeral, etc.), you can rest assured that somebody will opine that "it could look good" and that you should wear it.
--
Michael
post #15858 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone34 View Post

I think I've narrowed my search between 2 suits.  And it has alot to do with the Fabric...

Brooks Brothers SaxXon fabric  -vs- Joseph Abboud with Loro Piana
fabric

Any thoughts?  I have heard that Loro Piana is supposed to be very luxurious
.

 

From my understanding, Loro Piana has a lot of levels of fabric, and the stuff you see on Abboud suits and house brands are not nearly as good as those on their own top end stuff. Seriously, if the decision is down to fabric, you should feel them and go with the one you like better.
post #15859 of 33197
Looking for trustworthy tailors in Las Vegas -

Lots of chop shops here. Need to find someone decent. Any ideas or previous encounters?
post #15860 of 33197
Anyone got a good website with information on matching colors? Which go well with which, etc.
post #15861 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


From my understanding, Loro Piana has a lot of levels of fabric, and the stuff you see on Abboud suits and house brands are not nearly as good as those on their own top end stuff. Seriously, if the decision is down to fabric, you should feel them and go with the one you like better.


Thank you... that's what I was afraid of about the Piana. 

I wasn't planning on getting the Abboud suit but I just bought a Z Zenga suit from Nordstrom Online and the Grey turned out way too light so I'm returning it.  And Brooks is shipping in a SaxXon wool suit for me next week.  But today online I found the Abboud suit with the Loro Piana fabric in a Charcoal and thats the color I want.  So I'm gonna order the Abboud / Loro Piana and take it into Brooks Brothers and see which one I like better.

 

It will be a combination of which suit fits me best and which fabric I like better. 

Abboud I think tends to run bigger and boxier... and I like a more modern fitted suit for an athletic build.  But being the Abboud had that Loro Piano fabric and I liked the color and texture of it, it really caught my eye.  And you're probably right, its a Low end Piana... I mean the suit is like $850 and I've seen Piana suits go for over $4,000.  So obviously NOT top of the line but it still might be really nice and it might be nicer than the Brooks Brothers SaxXon Wool?????

 

We'll see, if its NOT nice I will return it.

post #15862 of 33197

Is it near impossible for me to buy a RLBL solid navy suit in 38R under $1000 at this time of the year? I swear I'm pretty good at finding premium class airline tickets cheaper but this is on another level haha..

post #15863 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone34 View Post

I think I've narrowed my search between 2 suits.  And it has alot to do with the Fabric...

 

Brooks Brothers SaxXon fabric  -vs- Joseph Abboud with Loro Piana fabric

 

Any thoughts?  I have heard that Loro Piana is supposed to be very luxurious.
 


Isn't the BB Saxxon line also made with Loro Piana fabric? I know the Country Club Saxxon blazer is.

post #15864 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone34 View Post


But being the Abboud had that Loro Piano fabric and I liked the color and texture of it, it really caught my eye.  And you're probably right, its a Low end Piana... I mean the suit is like $850 and I've seen Piana suits go for over $4,000.  So obviously NOT top of the line but it still might be really nice and it might be nicer than the Brooks Brothers SaxXon Wool?????

Saxxon wool comes from a particular group of sheep. Judging by my rack of suits, BB does not seem to specify which company weaves the fabric, at least in most cases.

My guess is that the Saxxon fabric is at least as nice as the LP, maybe better.
post #15865 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post


Isn't the BB Saxxon line also made with Loro Piana fabric? I know the Country Club Saxxon blazer is.

 

The SaxXon Wool is a very high end wool that I believe is exclusive to Brooks.  Check out the link and at the bottom there is a grey SaxXon video about the History of SaxXon Wool.  Click on it.  It's really interesting how it went from Royals in Europe, consequences of WWII on the sheep, and then how they ended up in Australia. 

 

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=533&Product_Id=1561598&Parent_Id=418&default_color=CHARCOAL&sort_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

post #15866 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post



Saxxon wool comes from a particular group of sheep. Judging by my rack of suits, BB does not seem to specify which company weaves the fabric, at least in most cases.
My guess is that the Saxxon fabric is at least as nice as the LP, maybe better.


Yeah Steve you're right about how the BB suits don't say what mill house their fabric is from.  But when it comes to their SaxXon line they do. 

 

It will be interesting to see how the lower end Loro Piana / Abboud matches up to the BB SaxXon???

If as you say it's pretty much equal then it will be all about the fit and which looks nicer.

 

Sounds like you have alot of BB suits so you must really like them.  What cut of BB do you get? 

I'm getting 2 Regents sent in to check out.  This would be my first BB suit and I would rather have a BB over an Abboud but the LP fabric and color got me.  From what I can tell from seeing online the LP/Abboud is more of the color I want, but obviously won't know until I see it.

 

I think this Abboud is a little nicer than his normal rack suits.  This is what it says...

Joseph Abboud crafts this elegant and classic 2-button suit with luxury wool from Italian textile masters Loro Piana.

 

Well that sounds pretty nice and it looks pretty nice too... but still gotta see it in real life.

Thanks

post #15867 of 33197
I'm leaning towards buying a BB Fitzgerald suit in one of the following fabrics:


Saxxon™ Shadow Stripe 1818 Suit
(charcoal with faint stripe)

Rope Stripe 1818 Suit (looks like a Navy with white stripes)

Saxxon™ Plaid 1818 Suit (charcoal windowpane?)

I haven't seen any of these in person, but are these fabrics versatile enough for a conservative interview suit? I would have preferred to get a plain Navy suit, but it's now out of my price range since the sale is over.
post #15868 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnin22 View Post

I'm leaning towards buying a BB Fitzgerald suit in one of the following fabrics:

Saxxon™ Shadow Stripe 1818 Suit
(charcoal with faint stripe)
Rope Stripe 1818 Suit (looks like a Navy with white stripes)
Saxxon™ Plaid 1818 Suit (charcoal windowpane?)
I haven't seen any of these in person, but are these fabrics versatile enough for a conservative interview suit? I would have preferred to get a plain Navy suit, but it's now out of my price range since the sale is over.

It depends on the industry, etc. I would say #1 and #2 for sure. I know some here would say solids only for interviews, but I've worn pinstripes and done just fine. #3 possibly. The pictures make it look like a solid, so it would determine how noticeable the check is.
post #15869 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


From my understanding, Loro Piana has a lot of levels of fabric, and the stuff you see on Abboud suits and house brands are not nearly as good as those on their own top end stuff. Seriously, if the decision is down to fabric, you should feel them and go with the one you like better.


Hey thanks again... here's the Joseph Abboud / Loro Piana suit.  What do y'all think???

 

http://www.bluefly.com/Joseph-Abboud-grey-super-110s-Loro-Piana-wool-2-button-suit-with-flat-front-pants/cat10028/317251601/detail.fly

 

I just ordered it and will have it next week.  I will compare it to the BB suit.  Right off the bat I'm NOT 100% on the Joseph Abboud / Loro Piana suit.  It looks good in the photo but now I realize it's a woven fabric and NOT sure I want that.  Its hard to see that it's woven seeing the front view and from a distance it looks great and the grey charcoal color I want.  But when seeing the fabric in the other photo close up next to the inner lining, the woven fabric is NOT as appealing to me.  But I won't know until I see it when it arrives next week.  IF NOT I'll ship it back.

 

Any thoughts on WOVEN suits? 

Not my ideal choice but maybe it will look nicer in person.

 

FIT...

The other issue is, I do NOT think this Joseph Abboud / Loro Piana suit is a fitted and tapered / modern cut for an athletic build. 

So I might NOT like that but maybe a Tailor can fix it so it's NOT boxy looking.  It looks great in the photo but isn't that always the case, haha.  From what I understand the BB Regent is a more modern fit.  When I tried that on... the Regent fit me better then any of the other BB styles.

 

Thanks

post #15870 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnin22 View Post

I'm leaning towards buying a BB Fitzgerald suit in one of the following fabrics:

Saxxon™ Shadow Stripe 1818 Suit
(charcoal with faint stripe)
Rope Stripe 1818 Suit (looks like a Navy with white stripes)
Saxxon™ Plaid 1818 Suit (charcoal windowpane?)
I haven't seen any of these in person, but are these fabrics versatile enough for a conservative interview suit? I would have preferred to get a plain Navy suit, but it's now out of my price range since the sale is over.

I should add that the industry is science / government / legislative or executive branch (but not law or banking). Another choice is this one from Steve's thread:
263
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)