or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1042

post #15616 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Don't wear a black suit.
Brown and black shoes will get the least amount of looks. Burgundy does go with both navy and grey, but it stands out more, make it your 5th or 6th shoe. Also, don't get a burgundy calf shoe they always look cheap, if you want burgundy get shell cordovan.

Can you elaborate on why you say not to wear a black suit?

What color shoe would you suggest for someone who wants a more universal shoe?
post #15617 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

Can you elaborate on why you say not to wear a black suit?
What color shoe would you suggest for someone who wants a more universal shoe?

Black is harsh, and hard to match with things. It looks very limo driver, or waiter and often looks cheap. Just kind of inappropriate outside of a funeral.

Like I said, dark brown and black shoes are the most versatile. Get a black captoe, and a dark brown wingtip.
post #15618 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

There are a number of RL lines. Which one?

I'm not sure...couldn't find it online but I doubt its a high end RL line since its only $400.
post #15619 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

Can you elaborate on why you say not to wear a black suit?
A rule I learned long ago (and which, unlike so many rules, has proven to have actual validity), is that for almost any situation where you think a black suit might be a good choice, a dark grey suit would be a better choice.

And yes, that includes funerals.
--
Michael
post #15620 of 33197
So if you had to have only 4 color suits what would they be?
post #15621 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

So if you had to have only 4 color suits what would they be?

 

IIRC, I think Patrick Booth would answer this:  "navy, navy, navy and . . . navy."  Not a bad answer, but charcoal and medium gray are nice too.
 

post #15622 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

IIRC, I think Patrick Booth would answer this:  "navy, navy, navy and . . . navy."  Not a bad answer, but charcoal and medium gray are nice too.

 

For what reason would he say that?
post #15623 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

So if you had to have only 4 color suits what would they be?
The "best" choice depends on many factors, some of which may include - for what purposes they'll be worn, your age, your build, the climate where you plan on wearing them, your budget, your coloration, etc.

Among the choices would be navy, charcoal, medium grey, navy pinstripe, tan/khaki, brown, black/white plaid, olive, charcoal pinstripe, and various others.

Generally speaking, if I had to pick 4 colors for suits, I suppose I'd say navy, charcoal, navy pinstripe, and tan. Understand, however, that exceptions exist, and I'm not in any way suggesting that these are the four best choices for everybody.

But rather than simply asking "which colors should I get?," how about you start off by telling us what your top four choices are, AND WHY YOU'VE CHOSEN THEM. (You may want to do this as a thread of its own, and not just part of this thread.)
--
Michael
post #15624 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

For what reason would he say that?

Because he only wears grey suits.
post #15625 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

There are a number of RL lines. Which one?

 

Went and checked -- it's the Ralph by Ralph Lauren line.  

post #15626 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

Went and checked -- it's the Ralph by Ralph Lauren line.  

Avoid.
post #15627 of 33197

I am looking for threads on the difference between suit silhouettes. Thanks in advance.

post #15628 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

Avoid.

Even if my price range is right in the $400 range?
post #15629 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

Even if my price range is right in the $400 range?

Ralph is one of the diffusion lines, and significantly lower quality. They're not worth $400, probably not even worth that new from the store. Price is frequently inflated on Ebay because people confuse them with the much higher quality Polo (Blue label), Black Label, and Purple Label variants.
post #15630 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


Ralph is one of the diffusion lines, and significantly lower quality. They're not worth $400, probably not even worth that new from the store. Price is frequently inflated on Ebay because people confuse them with the much higher quality Polo (Blue label), Black Label, and Purple Label variants.

 

Someone earlier said in the $400 price range I don't have a lot of quality options but reading that comment I'm curious if there are "quality" suits in the $400 range?  

 

JC Penney doesn't have anything worth buying.  Younkers didn't see much there.  Dillards had RL stuff and Men's Warehouse has nicer stuff but no navy blue suits in my size.  They only had darker blue but I was wanting a lighter navy blue to where you know it's Navy and not black/dark charcoal.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)