or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1030

post #15436 of 33125
If my lapel width is 3.5 inches, what should my tie width be?
post #15437 of 33125

looking for some tassle loafers, relatively low budget say 200 or less, going for a preppy look. can i get any help on where to look for them?
 

post #15438 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicPac View Post

looking for some tassle loafers, relatively low budget say 200 or less, going for a preppy look. can i get any help on where to look for them?

 

What size?
post #15439 of 33125
"I recently purchased a white and peach striped shirt with contrast collar and French cuffs. I matched it up with a striped navy blue and grey striped suit. I welcome your opinions and critique on which you believe is a better combination along with any tie suggestion, thank you."

My two cents: the blue is the better match, but the stripes on the shirt are too close to the stripes on the jacket.
post #15440 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradSchooler View Post

If my lapel width is 3.5 inches, what should my tie width be?

Standard wisdom is approximately the same width but not everybody adheres to this.
post #15441 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicPac View Post

looking for some tassle loafers, relatively low budget say 200 or less, going for a preppy look. can i get any help on where to look for them?

Something like this?

Edit: There is also quite a selection at TheShoeMart
Edited by hoit1981 - 6/20/12 at 8:14am
post #15442 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4jax View Post

I recently purchased a white and peach striped shirt with contrast collar and French cuffs. I matched it up with a striped navy blue and grey striped suit. I welcome your opinions and critique on which you believe is a better combination along with any tie suggestion, thank you.
263 263

Return the shirt. It is horrible. Get a plain white spread collar barrel cuff shirt and wear it better with either suit and almost any tie. Also, the pocket square is horrible, those striped suits need something more sober. These two combos here look like a Matisse, and imo, that is not a good thing.
post #15443 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradSchooler View Post

If my lapel width is 3.5 inches, what should my tie width be?

Around the same. Slightly narrower tie with bigger lapels always looks better than a bigger tie with narrow lapels.
post #15444 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Good advice. I lost 50 pounds and bought a wardrobe. I lost another 50 and had to start from square one again. Level off, then buy.

Wow, I had no idea. Congrats.
post #15445 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslade View Post

I'm thinking about picking up a new pair of glasses. I'd be paying out of pocket for the glasses (family doesn't really use insurance). Are designer glasses (Zegna, Polo Ralph Lauren) a huge ripoff without insurance helping you cover some of it? They seem like just a few bands of plastic/metal bolted together.

Some crazy percentage of all designer glasses, regardless of the logo, are made by Luxotica (including all of the Ralph Lauren brands, but not Zegna). You definitely pay a premium to put somebody else's name on the side of your face.
post #15446 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

Wow, I had no idea. Congrats.

Wanna see my stretch marks? mwink[1].gif
post #15447 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Wanna see my stretch marks? mwink[1].gif
snork[1].gif Thanks, I'll pass.
post #15448 of 33125

Looking to purchase a suit, but I seem to have a misshapen torso! I.e., my chest (41/42") and shoulder seem larger proportionately to my waist (33") - when I get suits that fit my shoulders and chest, the rest of the jacket often seems way too boxy and pants are Hulk-Like. Two questions then:

 

1) How much can one suppress the waist of a standard OTR suit jacket before it starts to look 'off?'

2) Are there any quality (i.e., no Versace/Boss/etc) suits that retail <1K where the cut lends itself to this body type?

post #15449 of 33125

BB Milano and Fitzgerald are both slimmer cuts with high armholes

post #15450 of 33125
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyvase View Post

Looking to purchase a suit, but I seem to have a misshapen torso! I.e., my chest (41/42") and shoulder seem larger proportionately to my waist (33") - when I get suits that fit my shoulders and chest, the rest of the jacket often seems way too boxy and pants are Hulk-Like. Two questions then:

 

1) How much can one suppress the waist of a standard OTR suit jacket before it starts to look 'off?'

2) Are there any quality (i.e., no Versace/Boss/etc) suits that retail <1K where the cut lends itself to this body type?

 

Try the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald cut and Samuelsohn Gable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)