Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Yesterday at 1:29 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1009post #15122 of 330815/30/12 at 1:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by kindofyoung
Betabrand has released a new version of their dresspants sweatpants that look quite good imo (way better than the last ones), anyone plan to order a pair?
if so, you must post fit-pic in the "HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III"
Those are awesome! No more changing for the gym!post #15123 of 330815/30/12 at 5:12pmpost #15124 of 330815/30/12 at 6:22pmpost #15125 of 330815/30/12 at 6:52pmpost #15126 of 330815/30/12 at 7:17pmQuote:They are properly bow tie only, but some men break this rule. Some through ignorance, some intentionally.
Seeing as how this is SF, I'm pretty sure someone will tell you that "it can look good," same way that if you asked about wearing boat shoes and no socks with a tuxedo, there are those who would undoubtedly opine that it could be a good combination.
But while some rules are made to be broken, at least sometimes, preferably with some degree of care, you're unlikely to catch me experimenting with alternatives to the traditional bow tie, when it comes to donning a tuxedo. Because part of the essence of wearing a tuxedo, at least in the current day and age, is the item's semi-uniform nature. One wears a tuxedo (or is instructed to wear a tuxedo) out of a desire for a certain traditional, expected look. If you want to "mix it up" and try for a new, different slant on black tie, you're running contrary to the very notion of black tie.
Anyway, that's my take on it.
BTW, neither do I like the idea of non-sexist versions of The Lord's Prayer ("Our Parent who lives in heaven..."), the prospect of adding yet another layer of post-season play to the baseball season (Look, if you intend to include most of the teams in what we once called "the playoffs," why not just rename the sport basketball or hockey?), or the possibility of there being a remake of "Casablanca," with the character of Rick now being a communist, lesbian, accordion player, and the story taking place in Grenada during the 1983 invasion.
Michaelpost #15127 of 330815/30/12 at 7:31pm
Is there an easy way to tell if this is a suit jacket or sportcoat? It's hard to tell by the picture, but the fabric is tweed. Even if it were a suit jacket, would it still be okay to wear as a separate given that it's tweed? It seems like that would be less offensive than wearing a generic charcoal suit jacket on its own.post #15128 of 330815/30/12 at 8:42pmpost #15129 of 330815/31/12 at 7:34am
Hey guys, I am currently looking for a pair of versatille chinos for summer. I would like to wear it with almost anything - black oxfords, dark brown suede loafers, combined with navy blazer etc. Do you think that these chinos would meet my requirements? I like them a lot, but I am not sure if they are not too light. Thank you! http://www.blazek.cz/panske-kalhoty-city-slim-barva-seda-13564.htmlpost #15130 of 330815/31/12 at 9:57amQuote:Originally Posted by SlimJohny
Hey guys, I am currently looking for a pair of versatille chinos for summer. I would like to wear it with almost anything - black oxfords, dark brown suede loafers, combined with navy blazer etc. Do you think that these chinos would meet my requirements? I like them a lot, but I am not sure if they are not too light. Thank you! http://www.blazek.cz/panske-kalhoty-city-slim-barva-seda-13564.html
I wouldn't ever wear black shoes with that color. If you want something that works with black shoes as well as brown, you need either an olive or a medium to light gray. Since you're talking summer, go with the light gray.post #15131 of 330815/31/12 at 10:00amQuote:Originally Posted by tubs
Is there an easy way to tell if this is a suit jacket or sportcoat? It's hard to tell by the picture, but the fabric is tweed. Even if it were a suit jacket, would it still be okay to wear as a separate given that it's tweed? It seems like that would be less offensive than wearing a generic charcoal suit jacket on its own.
There's no difference per se in a suit jacket or a sportcoat, the difference is in the fabric and occasionally the detailing (buttons, ect). Something made out of a fabric like tweed or a bold flannel is going to work fine as an odd jacket whether it originally had matching trousers or not. Something in a fine worsted charcoal would not.post #15132 of 330815/31/12 at 12:32pmQuote:
Thanks a lot for the answer. I was just in the store and bought the trousers, since I had a big discount and really liked the material and the fit. The color is in fact grey, but light (it is darker than on the picture). What color of shoes would you suggest? Light brown? Thanks.post #15133 of 330815/31/12 at 1:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by SlimJohny
Thanks a lot for the answer. I was just in the store and bought the trousers, since I had a big discount and really liked the material and the fit. The color is in fact grey, but light (it is darker than on the picture). What color of shoes would you suggest? Light brown? Thanks.
Ah, I thought it was a light tan. Yeah, black shoes would be fine, as would most browns and burgundies. Really, just about anything.post #15134 of 330815/31/12 at 1:52pmpost #15135 of 330815/31/12 at 3:03pm
So I was reading SF 101 and realized that most people actually use spread collars for use with suits. My face is pretty oval (I'm short though), would this be a bad mix? It's not going to be too bad and it'll have to make do anyways because I'm not planning to buy any more shirts for a few weeks anyways.
Also, does anyone know if there are cheap (~$300-400) MTM linen suit makers? I'm about 5' 5" and 125 pounds (35S suits). A lightweight suit isn't too essential for me so if all else fails, I'll get some BB or RL kids seersucker suits for ~$250. It'll probably fit okay.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 40 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 45 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 55 minutes ago
- › Church's Pembrey Prestige White Moccasin in a size 10F UK 57 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 58 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › The Official Thrift Thread Maker Label Guide 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding