or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 990

post #14836 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreev View Post

Can i match black herringbone trousers (what the fabric looks like) to a grey cotton blazer (pic) without looking like I have no money to buy a pre-matched suit? They both fit me very well and my only concern is the different pattern.

I think that very well might look awful. But post a pic and let the forvm decide!
post #14837 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Read this thread on wedding ties - http://www.styleforum.net/t/62219/wedding-ties
Some of the pics no longer work but you get the idea. Most of the ties discussed should go with the suit your describe.
Like cptjeff says, make sure you don't look too somber.

ok, but patterned shirts. when did it happen.? seriously.

Well i know where you're coming from fritzl, but there must be a happy medium. A solid navy suit, solid navy tie, solid white shirt would be a bit serious for what's meant to be a joyous occasion.
post #14838 of 33081
1) Could someone please please post some pictures of woven vs printed ties?
Im unsure if i can actually see the difference.

2) Should ties used in the evening/at night be darker? IE navy, black etc?
During the day i use alot of lighter colors( light blue, orange, mid blue, green) but they feel a bit flashy in the evening.
Im under the assumption that all clothes used in the evening should be darker, is this correct?
post #14839 of 33081
Can anyone suggest a pair of black wingtip lace-up boots that can be worn with a suit? Price range is under $1000 preferably. Thank you.
post #14840 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

A solid navy suit, solid navy tie, solid white shirt would be a bit serious for what's meant to be a joyous occasion.
That's why the Flying Spaghetti Monster, in his infinite noodly wisdom, created colorful silk pocket squares.

Personally, I'd like to see the OP wear a stripe or dot bow tie. The rest of his outfit is pretty staid and conservative (navy suit and solid white shirt), so adding a single, mildly out of the ordinary element - a bow tie - strikes me as a fine idea and a good way to add a little sartorial interest. Plus, there's just something about bow ties and summer weddings that seems right, although I'll allow as how that's the sort of thinking which does vary from region to region within the US.

Then again, he did say it was a spread collar shirt, which wouldn't be my first (or even second or third) choice for wearing with a bow tie.

Still, either ditch the white linen pocket square for something with a bit of color to it, or make the tie a bow tie. That'd be my advice. (And people should listen to me, since my friend's 7 year old son insists that I'm very smart.) (Okay, so he was impressed with my knowledge of the origins of Optimus Prime, nine million years ago, on Cybertron.)
--
Michael
post #14841 of 33081
Michael: Any thoughts on my outfit?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

I am going to be attending a Chinese day wedding at the beginning of June and bought a chino suit from Brooks Brothers last week.
I think I am going to plan on wearing a white shirt (barrel cuffs, pointed collar), but haven't decided yet on footwear or tie.
One of these is the suit, don't remember what color it is: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
403
400
If I recall correctly it is the lighter, so probably the latter one. Does anyone have recommendations for ties or shoes? I was thinking either a navy silk knit or raw silk tie and possibly my AE MacNeils , but they may be a bit to casual. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
197
I also have a green silk tie with white dots that I could consider wearing.
Alternatively, I could consider a cotton bow tie (think I have a blue/white gingham) with a white OCBD.
Thanks for any opinions in advance.

Edited by Winston S. - 5/17/12 at 4:35pm
post #14842 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonsh View Post

Is something like this Ike Behar silk olive with light blue dots the right compromise of formal and not too somber? 

350x525px-LL-fd1fbed9_2452ikebehartie2016.jpeg

ooh i like it
where to kop?
post #14843 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


That's why the Flying Spaghetti Monster, in his infinite noodly wisdom, created colorful silk pocket squares.
Personally, I'd like to see the OP wear a stripe or dot bow tie. The rest of his outfit is pretty staid and conservative (navy suit and solid white shirt), so adding a single, mildly out of the ordinary element - a bow tie - strikes me as a fine idea and a good way to add a little sartorial interest. Plus, there's just something about bow ties and summer weddings that seems right, although I'll allow as how that's the sort of thinking which does vary from region to region within the US.
Then again, he did say it was a spread collar shirt, which wouldn't be my first (or even second or third) choice for wearing with a bow tie.
Still, either ditch the white linen pocket square for something with a bit of color to it, or make the tie a bow tie. That'd be my advice. (And people should listen to me, since my friend's 7 year old son insists that I'm very smart.) (Okay, so he was impressed with my knowledge of the origins of Optimus Prime, nine million years ago, on Cybertron.)
--
Michael

Thanks for all the replies guys!

 

Im not sure if a bow-tie is gonna happen this go around. I dont think it suits me. I have a wide face and prefer the elongation of a tie to the wideness of a bow-tie. 

 

Having said that, I've decided to drop the white pocket square in favour of some colour. thinking about this guy from Kent Wang

file_14_9.jpg

post #14844 of 33081

Planning to get this in 35S (rare size eh?): http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101471

 

Would you guys recommend this? and would it be good for formal events? I *might* consider MTM (because of my weird size) if the price is right.

 

I'm waiting until it drops to around ~$200 with their frequent sales.

post #14845 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonsh View Post

Having said that, I've decided to drop the white pocket square in favour of some colour. thinking about this guy from Kent Wang
Look, your suit is solid dark navy. (Well, a micro-herringbone dark navy, but close enough). Your shirt is solid white. And weren't you talking about a solid tie - or perhaps one that's mostly navy, but with white pin dots?

Adding a solid colored pocket square is not really the best way to go. I mean, maybe better that sort of rust colored (color rendition on this monitor is iffy) pocket square than a solid white one, but honestly I'd recommend something colorful, whimsical, silk, and patterned - not a solid. All those solids - suit, shirt, square - are just a little more than I'd like. I'm not saying that solids can't be used effectively, because they certainly can, but in general I'd like to use at least one defiantly non-solid item to go against the otherwise static outfit.

A vibrant pocket square in no way reduces the outfit to an unacceptably informal level (well, unless it's an unusually formal wedding, in which case the invitation might well have read "Black Tie Optional," or "Black Tie Preferred," and there'd be little need to worry about what you'd wear - you'd simply wear your tuxedo, and the only decision-making you'd have to do would be to select the flower you want to wear as a boutonniere). What it does is demonstrate that you fully appreciate what constitutes appropriate, conservative wedding attire, while at the same time possessing sufficient understanding of the rules and sufficient confidence in your sense of style to subtly deviate from what is otherwise among the most unimaginative (if perfectly appropriate) clothing combinations possible.

Well, just my take on it. And bear in mind, I tend to be pretty conservative in how I dress, and in general think that most deviations from the staid and conservative are mistakes. So if even I think that solid dark navy, solid white, solid pocket square, is more unimaginative than it has to be, that's saying something. But perhaps you know what this wedding, and the people who will be present, are like. And you know that if you don't do the all solids thing, you'll be dismissed by one and all as an ignorant buffoon. In which case, I'll defer to your judgement.
--
Michael
post #14846 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essential View Post

Would you guys recommend this?
It's pretty much a basic, traditional, navy blazer. I don't know much about it specifically, but that's the sort of item that is tougher to totally screw up than most. So I suppose it's entirely possible that JAB's rendition of the classic navy blazer is okay. Maybe not great, but probably not awful either. Even if it needs a bit of fine tuning, a competent alterations tailor might well be able to turn it into an excellent blazer for your needs.

And, of course, as a size 35S, it's not like you're faced with a wealth of off-the-rack alternatives. Telling a guy who wears, say, a 42R, to keep shopping for something nicer is one thing. Giving you that advice is something else again.
Quote:
and would it be good for formal events?
Not really. (And by "formal," I get that you mean "suit-and-tie," and "tuxedo." At least, I assume you're using it in that sense, and not in its more technical sense of formal = black tie = tuxedo.)

A blazer can be thought of as a "semi-casual" item. Not so casual as jeans and a polo shirt of course, but definitely less formal than a suit. If you're going into a situation where you ought to be wearing a suit, do not wear a blazer. Well, I mean you probably could wear a blazer; it's unlikely you'll be kicked out of the place. But you won't be dressed appropriately, since a blazer is more casual than a suit.

A navy blazer can be a really useful, practical, versatile item to own. By all means, buy one. But it's something you ought to own in addition to a suit, not instead of a suit. Something worn mostly for relatively informal social occasions, and not really for "formal" occasions.

Granted, this is only the traditional rule. But you're buying a fairly traditional item of clothing, and asking about when it's good to wear it, so I don't think I'm totally out of line in figuring you might place some value on the traditional rules. (If you were buying an ultra close-fitting, black blazer, I probably wouldn't assume as much.)
Quote:
I'm waiting until it drops to around ~$200 with their frequent sales.
Smart move. It's bound to go on sale for 60% or 65% off, probably within the next couple of weeks.
--
Michael
post #14847 of 33081
Hi everyone, It's my first post and I just wanted to thank all the members here for the tips and advice. I'm currently in HK and on the advice of the forum, went to get some shirts made up from Ascot Chang. I'm picking them up later this afternoon but the fit was already very nice at my fitting. My question however is on suit fittings... I went to WW Chan but alas, the prices were a bit too much for me right now but i still wanted to get a sport jacket made. On the advice of a friend who lives here, I went to creative tailors in Central. He has asked me to come back for a fitting later today (Friday HK) and that a second fitting is not required as he uses a Shanghainese tailor. My thoughts are that a second fitting may be needed but not sure if this is the norm or not. Can anyone give me some advice on the topic? Thanks in advance!
post #14848 of 33081

Thanks for the response Michael; it helped me out greatly. I'll most likely wear the blazer more casually I guess. And the blazer was also $180 a day or two ago but I didn't have the funds to buy it. No matter though, JAB always discounts :)

post #14849 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Michael: Any thoughts on my outfit?
The suit looks okay to me for a daytime wedding in June. Then again, I'm unfamiliar with Chinese wedding customs, so for all I know it might be completely inappropriate.

A white shirt with barrel cuffs and point collar sounds fine, too. (Due to the size of my neck, and the shape of my face, wide spread collars don't really appeal to me, personally. So it's nice to see that not everyone else on SF is in love with them.)

I like the idea of a green silk tie w/white dots. Green ties usually goes well with tan suits. Plus, in traditional Chinese culture, doesn't green represent health, prosperity, and harmony? Seems like a good choice for a wedding - although, again, I know little of Chinese weddings, and scarcely anything more about traditional Chinese culture, so please don't give my opinion more weight than it deserves.

Alternatively, I'm a sucker for bow ties, and a blue and white bow tie would go fine with your suit. And the OCBD is my #1 choice for wearing with a bow tie, so you've got that right. (Even many men who disapprove of wearing a buttondown collar shirt with a suit will often make an exception if it's to be worn with a bow tie.) Plus, with the relatively plain (I don't want to say dull) suit, and the plain white shirt, a bow tie adds a worthwhile element of interest to your outfit. (Earlier today, I offered very similar advice to dgonsh.)

Whichever tie you choose, wear a nice pocket square or boutonniere. It doesn't have to be anything flashy, but with a solid tan suit, I'd stay away from a solid white flower or square. Just a personal preference, but there you have it.

Sorry, but I don't like the AE MacNeils. Well, I don't dislike them; I simply don't care for them all that much with your suit. I won't tell you they're a horrible choice, just that I have several other pairs of shoes which I'd choose before considering the MacNeils. (My first choice would probably be my AE Graysons, in merlot. As with bow ties, I like wearing tassel loafers with a suit every once in a while. And the fact that a tan cotton twill "summer" suit is a somewhat informal suit - well, at least compared to, say, a typical charcoal wool suit - makes it all the better a choice for wearing with a pair of dress tassel loafers.) But if the AE MacNeils are the only choice available, and you'd really rather not drop $300 on a new pair of shoes right now, go ahead and wear the MacNeils. They're not wildly inappropriate.
--
Michael
post #14850 of 33081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Look, your suit is solid dark navy. (Well, a micro-herringbone dark navy, but close enough). Your shirt is solid white. And weren't you talking about a solid tie - or perhaps one that's mostly navy, but with white pin dots?
Adding a solid colored pocket square is not really the best way to go. I mean, maybe better that sort of rust colored (color rendition on this monitor is iffy) pocket square than a solid white one, but honestly I'd recommend something colorful, whimsical, silk, and patterned - not a solid. All those solids - suit, shirt, square - are just a little more than I'd like. I'm not saying that solids can't be used effectively, because they certainly can, but in general I'd like to use at least one defiantly non-solid item to go against the otherwise static outfit.
A vibrant pocket square in no way reduces the outfit to an unacceptably informal level (well, unless it's an unusually formal wedding, in which case the invitation might well have read "Black Tie Optional," or "Black Tie Preferred," and there'd be little need to worry about what you'd wear - you'd simply wear your tuxedo, and the only decision-making you'd have to do would be to select the flower you want to wear as a boutonniere). What it does is demonstrate that you fully appreciate what constitutes appropriate, conservative wedding attire, while at the same time possessing sufficient understanding of the rules and sufficient confidence in your sense of style to subtly deviate from what is otherwise among the most unimaginative (if perfectly appropriate) clothing combinations possible.
Well, just my take on it. And bear in mind, I tend to be pretty conservative in how I dress, and in general think that most deviations from the staid and conservative are mistakes. So if even I think that solid dark navy, solid white, solid pocket square, is more unimaginative than it has to be, that's saying something. But perhaps you know what this wedding, and the people who will be present, are like. And you know that if you don't do the all solids thing, you'll be dismissed by one and all as an ignorant buffoon. In which case, I'll defer to your judgement.
--
Michael

 

Thank you for your well thought out response. 

 

My gf has expressed her love of a lilac gingham cutaway collar shirt. she told me to liven it up a little and go for a shirt like that. Must my shoes be brown? I have pair of AE Black Park Avenues I was planning on wearing but now I'm thinking Navy, Lilac and Black shoes seems...off.

 

Thoughts?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)