Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 974

post #14596 of 33448
Who makes an extra small shirt that would be comparable to JCrew's men's extra small?
post #14597 of 33448
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post


If you can spare a couple of hours driving (round trip) There's a superb store in Beverly Hills that stocks Aldens, our sponsors Leather Soul. They stock a number of exclusive models of Indy boots and other Aldens, not to mention some really spectacular St. Crispins and GW Cleverleys.
Indy boot could be a good option, but as a tall boot it is pretty warm. Clark's DBs are unlined suede, making them a very cool wearing shoe. Alden has the flex chukka, kind of a more grown-up version of the same boot, also in unlined suede. You're also off the mark on taking care of suede - it is much easier to care for than most calf.

 

Thanks alot !!! I just google mapped Leather Soul, will be sure to drop by. 

 

I am a little bit confused, I was always told don't get your suede dirty as they are a pain in the butt to clean. My Clark's DB also got a lot of blue stains transferred from jeans, haven't been able to get it out. I am going to search on how to clean Suede leather here to read up on it. Would gladly buy another suede chukka if it is easy to take care of. Suede seems so versatile for casual. 

post #14598 of 33448

Thanks Patrick, that's very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Totally, get them in dark brown, not chestnut for a second shoe. More versatile.
This is a common thing people get caught up with for suits. The key is to find a suit that fits easy in the chest and the shoulders don't produce divots at the top of the sleeve, but aren't over extended. A good thing to do is to put your arms flat at your side and scoot sideways next to a wall, if the shoulder pad touches the wall before your arm does then the shoulders are too wide.
Now, suits are measured by their chest size, not their shoulder size, so if a suit buttons easy and the lapels show no signs of bowing outward, yet the shoulders are too wide you need to switch to a different brand, or cut, no way around it. The chest of a suit CANNOT be altered easily, the waist can, this is a big difference. From about your solar plexus up needs to be correct from the beginning to have a decent fitting garment. The chest can be slightly big, but anything more than 1" you're getting into trouble.
Another thing is that for fit 2+2 = 4, but so does 3+1, so does 3.7+0.3. Measurements straight across will rarely give you anything usefull. It is all about curvature and where it is added and taken away and how it is in proportion to the rest of the suit that gives you good fit. This is a hard thing for a lot of people to accept because they want to buy online, but the truth is you have to try things on and know what size, brand, and model works best for you and then shop online.
post #14599 of 33448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigFlys View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

If you can spare a couple of hours driving (round trip) There's a superb store in Beverly Hills that stocks Aldens, our sponsors Leather Soul. They stock a number of exclusive models of Indy boots and other Aldens, not to mention some really spectacular St. Crispins and GW Cleverleys.

Indy boot could be a good option, but as a tall boot it is pretty warm. Clark's DBs are unlined suede, making them a very cool wearing shoe. Alden has the flex chukka, kind of a more grown-up version of the same boot, also in unlined suede. You're also off the mark on taking care of suede - it is much easier to care for than most calf.

Thanks alot !!! I just google mapped Leather Soul, will be sure to drop by. 

I am a little bit confused, I was always told don't get your suede dirty as they are a pain in the butt to clean. My Clark's DB also got a lot of blue stains transferred from jeans, haven't been able to get it out. I am going to search on how to clean Suede leather here to read up on it. Would gladly buy another suede chukka if it is easy to take care of. Suede seems so versatile for casual. 

Those blue stains are dye transfer, which is a colossal pain to get out of anything, so raw denim with suede is a risk. Some folks just consider it patina smile.gif

Most other stains are really easy to get out of suede - there's even a youtube video from Lefot showing how to wash the Alden flex chukkas by brushing them under running water. Not recommended for lined suede, of course!
post #14600 of 33448

I'm not sure this is the right thread, I'm sorry if not.

I'm looking for a navy rain coat/car coat, around $100-150 with visible buttons.

Something like this, but cheaper.

 

http://www.folkclothing.com/men/light-rainmac-navy

 

Also I wonder where suits for shorter guys can be purchased on the internet? I just recieved a suit from suitsupply which was way too long for me, I'm about 5'5", 165cm. The size was 34 uk 44eu.

 

Thank you.


Edited by Sui iuris - 5/8/12 at 3:20pm
post #14601 of 33448
is gray vest with a black suit okay?

And is matching tie color with your date's dress color tacky? Was planning to match shirt color or not match at all...

Thanks for the reply - this is kind of important to me !
post #14602 of 33448
Is it possible to make a sevenfold tie narrower? Like from 4" to 3.5"? Thanks!
post #14603 of 33448

#8 Chromexcel in either boat shoe or beefroll penny, which one?

 

Look would be a white denim/patterned dress shirt summer style, might do a linen navy blazer or a faded black cotton blazer. Might also do alpha khakis.

 

Thoughts on which one is best for said look, also which one is a bit more versatile?

post #14604 of 33448

I would like some recommendations on a 3rd MTM suit fabric.  My first 2 are a charcoal herringbone, and the second a medium/dark grey with small, light blue pintstripes.  I was thinking something navy or brown.  I don't have to dress ultra city/formal to work, but maybe it would be nice to have the option.

 

Thanks

post #14605 of 33448
How close should back pants pockets be? I want a pair of pants taken in and fear the "pockets too close" issue
post #14606 of 33448
thoughts? excuse the sloppiness of the tie and the lack of smoothing out hte jacket--debating whether to return or not, hence why the price tag is still on there. off the rack saks zegna cloth slim fit. are the shoulders too wide? please scrutizine as i know SF will be the most critical of eyes.

suit 1
DSC06301.png
DSC06304.png

suit 2 (colors do not appear that much different due to lighting. this is gray, previous is navy).
DSC06311.png
DSC06312.png
DSC06314.png

thanks!
post #14607 of 33448
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhacker View Post

question here: what are some guidelines on button stance? it seems like lower button stance = more old fashioned looking while higher button stance seems more modern. i am 30 y/o and would like a more modern cut... how high should i get my button stance for a 2 button jacket?

 

A lower button stance makes you look taller, leaner, and smarter. Wear your buttons too high and risk looking like a waiter. Waiters don't get laid as much as you think.

post #14608 of 33448
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

How close should back pants pockets be? I want a pair of pants taken in and fear the "pockets too close" issue

If they're dress pants, then the pockets should not be (too) visible, so this should not be an issue. Regardless you can always have them taken from the sides.
post #14609 of 33448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawboneofa View Post

Is it possible to make a sevenfold tie narrower? Like from 4" to 3.5"? Thanks!

Not without completely remaking the tie. Sell it or shelve it, but it's probably not worth remaking, especially since such work would take a skilled tiemaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorpomon View Post

#8 Chromexcel in either boat shoe or beefroll penny, which one?

Look would be a white denim/patterned dress shirt summer style, might do a linen navy blazer or a faded black cotton blazer. Might also do alpha khakis.

Thoughts on which one is best for said look, also which one is a bit more versatile?

I like penny loafers, leather sole. If you want a rubber sole, go with a camp moc or boat shoe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I would like some recommendations on a 3rd MTM suit fabric.  My first 2 are a charcoal herringbone, and the second a medium/dark grey with small, light blue pintstripes.  I was thinking something navy or brown.  I don't have to dress ultra city/formal to work, but maybe it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks

Navy, but not too dark of one.
post #14610 of 33448
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I would like some recommendations on a 3rd MTM suit fabric.  My first 2 are a charcoal herringbone, and the second a medium/dark grey with small, light blue pintstripes.  I was thinking something navy or brown.  I don't have to dress ultra city/formal to work, but maybe it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks

Navy, but not too dark of one.

 

Thanks.  Pinstripes or plain?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)