or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 914

post #13696 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieV View Post

I have a question

I'm about to graduate college and start a new job in banking where I'll be wearing a suit to work everyday.  What's the best way to buy a couple new suits?  I don't need anything top of the line, but I don't want a suit that makes me look like the proverbial used car salesman and will fall apart after 6 months.  Should I just go to a department store and check what they have on sale? 

Jos A Banks and others like it seem like they have "Today Only! Buy one suit get 2 months of our inventory free!" perpetually.  Are these suits any good or just really really cheap? What a reasonable price to spend?  Should I stick with a designer suit- is teh extra cost justified?? Once again, I'm just out of college, have never bought a suit before and have no knowledge at all pertaining to the area.   

You need to browse the forum more. This is not a "quick question". You may want to check out Benjamin suits at ehaberdasher.com. Bank's are cheap for a reason.
post #13697 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieV View Post

I have a question

I'm about to graduate college and start a new job in banking where I'll be wearing a suit to work everyday.  What's the best way to buy a couple new suits?  I don't need anything top of the line, but I don't want a suit that makes me look like the proverbial used car salesman and will fall apart after 6 months.  Should I just go to a department store and check what they have on sale? 

Jos A Banks and others like it seem like they have "Today Only! Buy one suit get 2 months of our inventory free!" perpetually.  Are these suits any good or just really really cheap? What a reasonable price to spend?  Should I stick with a designer suit- is teh extra cost justified?? Once again, I'm just out of college, have never bought a suit before and have no knowledge at all pertaining to the area.   

Suit Supply seems to be a popular suggestion to this question, as well as BB, and of course B&S forum.
post #13698 of 33197
Anyplace in NYC to get the edges of my pocket square rolled and finished?
post #13699 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Anyplace in NYC to get the edges of my pocket square rolled and finished?
I can't offer a specific recommendation, but I know that the place I used to go to for basic suit alterations (not in NYC) would also turn the odd square of fabric into a pocket square, for a price, of course. So although I've never needed this service, I would think that it's something your tailor might well be able to handle.
--
Michael
post #13700 of 33197

does anyone have any experience with the Cole Haan Shoes, Air Kilgore Plain Toe Oxfords? I was going to buy this one cause it looked nice and had good reviews on macy's, but then I went to zappos and it had 2 bad reviews about the poor quality of this shoes =/ My 2nd option is Calvin Klein Shoes, Gareth 2... looks about the same as cole haan and about the same price, what do you guys think?

post #13701 of 33197

What can I do to prevent that I'm sweating through my dress shirts? I always wear an undershirt but on light colored shirt that just doesn't help enough.

post #13702 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja View Post

does anyone have any experience with the Cole Haan Shoes, Air Kilgore Plain Toe Oxfords? I was going to buy this one cause it looked nice and had good reviews on macy's, but then I went to zappos and it had 2 bad reviews about the poor quality of this shoes =/ My 2nd option is Calvin Klein Shoes, Gareth 2... looks about the same as cole haan and about the same price, what do you guys think?

If you must pick between two evils, pick the lesser of the two. Cole Haan...
post #13703 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja View Post

does anyone have any experience with the Cole Haan Shoes, Air Kilgore Plain Toe Oxfords? I was going to buy this one cause it looked nice and had good reviews on macy's, but then I went to zappos and it had 2 bad reviews about the poor quality of this shoes =/ My 2nd option is Calvin Klein Shoes, Gareth 2... looks about the same as cole haan and about the same price, what do you guys think?

I've got a pair of Cole Haan wingtips from a few years back (pre-SF). They're not the worst shoes I've ever owned. Not bad for glued, corrected grain shoes. As far as low-end shoe makers go, I'd put Cole Haan above Johnston & Murphy, way above Florsheim, but below To Boot NY. No experience with CK shoes. I would probably never buy Cole Haan again at any price and would advise against paying over $100 for them.
post #13704 of 33197

damn 2 answers 2 different opinions =/ lol and I didn't know $300 shoes (ex. To Boot NY) are considered low end by you guys lol jesus what hell do you guys do and how much do you guys make! hhaha

post #13705 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja View Post

damn 2 answers 2 different opinions =/ lol and I didn't know $300 shoes (ex. To Boot NY) are considered low end by you guys lol jesus what hell do you guys do and how much do you guys make! hhaha

Welcome to SF... smile.gif
post #13706 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerSon View Post

What can I do to prevent that I'm sweating through my dress shirts? I always wear an undershirt but on light colored shirt that just doesn't help enough.

Sweat less. Heavy duty antiperspirants, lose weight, cut down on caffeine intake...
post #13707 of 33197
What are the significant differences between the Clarks Desert Boot and the Clarks Original Desert Boot? My local store only has the originals.
post #13708 of 33197

Hi guys, I'm looking for some good slim fit dress pants/slacks that I can get in multiple colors. I'd prefer pants that I can get in my correct size without needing them altered. I'm typically like a 33/34 waist and a 29 length. Another member here (herrmj) suggest I try Epaulet's slim walt trousers:  http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Mens-Clothing-cln-Trousers/Categories. Those seem really great but they only appear to come in a 34" inseam and are a little bit more than I'd like to spend at this point, especially since I'd need to have the length altered. I'm especially interested in lighter gray. I have at least one pair of the standards (black/navy/charcoal) that fit well. 

post #13709 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Welcome to SF... smile.gif



lol my main concern is the review on zappa said that "the leather scuffed easily and thin, top shiny layer comes off with the slightest brush up against something rough", another one said "pealed after 2-3 casual wears"... so I just want to know if this is normal? its nappa leather if that makes any difference... to be honest i don't know anything about leather and dress shoes... that's why the 2 different answers by you guys just confused me even more! haha eh.gif

 

post #13710 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja View Post

damn 2 answers 2 different opinions =/ lol and I didn't know $300 shoes (ex. To Boot NY) are considered low end by you guys lol jesus what hell do you guys do and how much do you guys make! hhaha


I eat cup of soups and bike everywhere
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)