I've heard both 'rules'. I have no idea whether either is correct.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 5:05 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 907post #13591 of 321723/18/12 at 12:10pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #13592 of 321723/18/12 at 12:53pmpost #13593 of 321723/18/12 at 1:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by TuckerSon
Which colors for pants are safe to wear for short guys besides dark (blue or black) colored pants.
Short guys are often recommanded to wear dark (blue or black) colored jeans/pants. I currently have a wardrobe consisting out of these items but I'm wondering which colors are also safe to wear since it gets a bit boring?
I think you can wear the same color pants as the non-vertically challenged without fear. Black and navy aren't very versatile. Wear did you hear about these "safety" concerns?post #13594 of 321723/18/12 at 1:12pmQuote:Quote:
I am certainly not an authority, but visually, the "buttoned" look makes more sense to me.post #13595 of 321723/18/12 at 2:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by CDHagg
I have an artistic question, and I'd love some input:
I have commissioned a bespoke black suit - 2 button, single-breasted, flat-front, slim but not skinny. I'm a part-time musician, and I'll use this suit for my gigs and maybe also for parties/going to the opera/etc.
It isn't a tuxedo, and I don't want to pretend it's a tuxedo, so I'm thinking I should inject a little flair into the suit. I've considered putting contrasting stitching on the cuff buttons, or contrasting thread underneath the double-vents. Thoughts? I don't want to be too ostentatious; I just want to add a little sprezz to maximize the bespoke benefits and to show that I'm not pretending it's a tux.
Any opinions/suggestions about this would be much appreciated.
Maybe some mother of pearl buttons? Makes it very different from a tuxedo. And keep it 2 button as that steers well clear of tux territory.post #13596 of 321723/18/12 at 3:58pmI have an event coming up and was wondering if anyone could advice me on how I should tie a knit tie
i.e. this: http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-product.asp?pn=22529&orderPageReturn=%2FcategoryPages%2FAll_Ties.asp&pg=1&categoryIds=31,62,70&optionValueIds=
knit tie vs traditional woven...100% silk so it is rather cumbersome the last time I tried and turned out awful
Would just like to keep it simple, will be worn with a spread collar
edit: found this through some searchesQuote:The four in hand is the only correct knot for knit ties, according to Michael Drake, Alan Flusser and a variety of other sources.post #13597 of 321723/18/12 at 4:22pmpost #13598 of 321723/18/12 at 4:25pmpost #13599 of 321723/18/12 at 5:01pmpost #13600 of 321723/18/12 at 5:28pmQuote:
There is front rise and back rise. Also, a google search will find conflicting instructions on how to measure. One says measure to the top of the waistband while the other says to measure to the bottom.post #13601 of 321723/18/12 at 6:19pmpost #13602 of 321723/18/12 at 6:28pmI want to upgrade my black suit to a proper tux for black tie parties, but can't justify the expense of a bespoke one at this time so was thinking to get a mtm one from TaT, any other suggestions in the sub 1k range? I prefer a shawl db but understand that isnt going to happen at this price point, so I will just go with a classic sb shawl.post #13603 of 321723/18/12 at 6:55pmpost #13604 of 321723/18/12 at 9:17pmpost #13605 of 321723/18/12 at 9:25pmhi all
would like to do a quick legit check on kellerwhale .
am about to purchase this filson off him . so some replies would be greatly appreciated.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizing
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 2 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 3 minutes ago
- › EXTREMELY ADVANCED: official oversized/next level clothing thread 4 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 9 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 12 minutes ago
- › Is there a standard "size" for darts? 16 minutes ago
- › How is the fit of this glasses? 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...