Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Yesterday at 1:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 903post #13531 of 331423/14/12 at 8:19ampost #13532 of 331423/14/12 at 8:48amQuote:
grumblegrumble not trying to be like spoo grumble.
in all seriousness though I nearly shit my pants yesterday, my boss came in wearing a really nice blazer (canali, iirc) and a white OCBD with contrast buttonholes and a double button collar... I asked him where he got it he said "Ghirardelli". I suspect he's getting it confused with the chocolate. I really liked it though, and want something similar. Its that kind of tasteful yet obnoxious/irritating aesthetic I aspire to and ultimately give up on, opting instead for 45 competing patterns of tweed.post #13533 of 331423/14/12 at 8:54amQuote:Originally Posted by Liam O
grumblegrumble not trying to be like spoo grumble.
in all seriousness though I nearly shit my pants yesterday, my boss came in wearing a really nice blazer (canali, iirc) and a white OCBD with contrast buttonholes and a double button collar... I asked him where he got it he said "Ghirardelli". I suspect he's getting it confused with the chocolate. I really liked it though, and want something similar. Its that kind of tasteful yet obnoxious/irritating aesthetic I aspire to and ultimately give up on, opting instead for 45 competing patterns of tweed.
My 2 cents, don't get anything with contrast buttonholes.post #13534 of 331423/14/12 at 9:13ampost #13535 of 331423/14/12 at 11:02amQuote:
I couldn't pull that off. Shit, I can barely pull off chinos and a plain OCBD. I think I could do a shirt with contrast buttonholes if the rest was bone simple, eg. Mid blue plain twill OCBD with navy stitching and those really light colored horn buttons. Maybe.
But I suspect in my case pB is right and I'd most likely come out looking like a fool, though he was too kind to phrase it that way.post #13536 of 331423/14/12 at 11:07ampost #13537 of 331423/14/12 at 11:19ampost #13538 of 331423/14/12 at 11:19amQuote:
I shrink oversize wool pretty often... just did this on an RLPL cashmere/linen 60/40 blend and it shrunk to perfection. It's the dryer though that does it. I usually just wash on delicate, warm/cool setting with Woolite. Then to the dryer on medium/high and monitor the shrinkage process. After it warms up and gets hot it will start to shrink..the more you dry to completely dry the more it will shrink...just do it progressively until its small enough then air dry. btw, it will most likely shrink the trunk and sleeve length as well so be sure you want it smaller overall... it won't just shrink the midsection.post #13539 of 331423/14/12 at 11:39ampost #13540 of 331423/14/12 at 11:43ampost #13541 of 331423/14/12 at 11:52ampost #13542 of 331423/14/12 at 11:54ampost #13543 of 331423/14/12 at 1:15pmHey all - I'm looking to make an investment in a versatile wool coat / jacket that will look good, keep me warm, and serve me well for several years. Something clean and classic would be nice. I'm more interested in value than concerned about actual cost (willing to lay down some dime for the right coat).
I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:
-For casual city wear. Will only be worn with denim, usually with quality brown leather boots.
-Not a peacoat: I already have 2 nice old kersey wool peacoats
-Gray or navy
-around 31-34" inches long or so (about the length of a size 40 Barbour Beaufort, or a bit longer, if that helps) that covers the rear but stops well short of the knees.
-don't want a cropped coat with a waistband
-don't want a long coat or top coat (too dressy, annoying to sit and drive in, generally not as utilitarian as I'm looking for with this jacket)
-preferably with vents
-will consider lined or unlined. My priority is to find a quality wool shell and the right cut
-by 'quality wool' I don't mean cashmere or anything with a fancy finish--i loved the tight-knit kersey wool of old peacoats
-I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs and wear a size 40 suit (but will never wear this jacket with a suit)
Years ago as an undergrad, I wore and loved the J. Crew University Jacket because it was warm, easy to wear, had generous pockets, and looked somewhat respectable. I'm essentially looking for an "adult" version of that coat, if such a thing exists. Better quality, better construction, but equally versatile and utilitarian.
Any suggestions or ideas where to start?
Edited by Trapp - 3/14/12 at 1:33pmpost #13544 of 331423/14/12 at 1:28pmpost #13545 of 331423/14/12 at 3:05pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 6 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 10 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 College Football Season Threak 11 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...