or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 890

post #13336 of 31164

Any alternatives out there in regard to a oxford toe cap dress shoe in the same price an quality range as the:

Loake 1880 - Aldwych and Allen Edmonds - Park Avenue ? 

post #13337 of 31164
Any tailors reading this thread? I just bought an expensive casual shirt and the sleeves are too long by a couple of inches. The fabric is 100% cotton, but is really thick and feels almost like denim. Is this a simple fix for a tailor, or do I risk ruining the garment? would they cut it at the cuff or shoulder?

Pics of cuff and inside/outside of shoulder:

467
467
467
post #13338 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat View Post

Any tailors reading this thread? I just bought an expensive casual shirt and the sleeves are too long by a couple of inches. The fabric is 100% cotton, but is really thick and feels almost like denim. Is this a simple fix for a tailor, or do I risk ruining the garment? would they cut it at the cuff or shoulder?
Pics of cuff and inside/outside of shoulder:

You can shorten it from the cuff end relatively easily, it is a simply alteration if you don't move the placket. Shortening by a large amount may shorten the sleeve placket too much so you might then want to move the whole placket up. This is a bit more complicated than just moving the cuff up, but isn't too hard. It does require reconstructing the placket.

Shortening from the shoulder is not really recommended for shirts; for a start the taper of the sleeve means that, after shortening, the sleeve head will likely end up smaller than the arm-scye you're trying to attach if to. You would then need to also bring in the chest of the shirt in an attempt to make the scye smaller. Adjusting from the shoulders also means flat-felling the arm/body seam, as well as opening and reflat-felling at least part of the side/under-arm seam, which can be quite tricky work.
post #13339 of 31164
Hi guys, Do you guys canvas your sportscoat?
post #13340 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalence View Post

Hi guys, Do you guys canvas your sportscoat?

Sometimes. But we always do the Dew.
post #13341 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalence View Post

Hi guys, Do you guys canvas your sportscoat?

Just in case this was a serious question, and if I am understanding you correctly, yes, a canvased jacket is the norm. You can opt for a 1/2 canvas for a lightweight/summer type jacket.
post #13342 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingerBRead View Post

Anyone know where to buy readers that don't actually come with prescription lenses. Looking for glass lenses not plastic.

Do you just want frames? If so, simply remove the lenses. Or are you wanting clear glass with no prescription? If so, why?
post #13343 of 31164
hey thanks cbbuff smile.gif kinda new to all these...
post #13344 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

You can shorten it from the cuff end relatively easily, it is a simply alteration if you don't move the placket. Shortening by a large amount may shorten the sleeve placket too much so you might then want to move the whole placket up. This is a bit more complicated than just moving the cuff up, but isn't too hard. It does require reconstructing the placket.
Shortening from the shoulder is not really recommended for shirts; for a start the taper of the sleeve means that, after shortening, the sleeve head will likely end up smaller than the arm-scye you're trying to attach if to. You would then need to also bring in the chest of the shirt in an attempt to make the scye smaller. Adjusting from the shoulders also means flat-felling the arm/body seam, as well as opening and reflat-felling at least part of the side/under-arm seam, which can be quite tricky work.

Thanks much. Looks like I will have him reconstruct the placket. Anything I should know going in? I'll be going to a new tailor in a new country so I'm a little nervous.
post #13345 of 31164

 

Can you tell me what the brand of the shoes are , it says they are desert boots but i cant find to ones that look like them with the same color!

 

thank you

 

 

 

 

447

http://www.asos.com//Levis-Monochrome/Levis-Monochrome-511-Slim-Jeans/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2089438

post #13346 of 31164
Does anyone know who makes a black plain toe bal besides alden?
post #13347 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsua View Post

Does anyone know who makes a black plain toe bal besides alden?


Kent Wang does.

post #13348 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post


Kent Wang does.

thanks for your reply, I was considering these, but the toe is a bit too pointy for me.
post #13349 of 31164
Not a balmoral, but an oxford, and if you think the Kent Wang shoes are too pointy these may be too pointy for you too:

C&J Wembley
Edited by Winston S. - 3/5/12 at 6:10pm
post #13350 of 31164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbuff View Post

Do you just want frames? If so, simply remove the lenses. Or are you wanting clear glass with no prescription? If so, why?

Eyebobs, www.eyebobs.com does a broad range of very low power reading glasses, all the way down to 1.0 magnification.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)