or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 875

post #13111 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post

Myself and everyone I know who has had dealings with him (other than yourself, apparently) had nothing good to say about the man.


With the clothes or with Nick?

 

post #13112 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post


How much does the fitzgerald usually run?

Most of the 1818 collection runs about a $1,000 at retail, but they are always having sales. Right now they have a two for $1,500 going on. I seem to remember the clearance from the beginning of this year knocking some models down to $500.

EDIT - http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=418&Product_Id=1210034&Parent_Id=216&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null
post #13113 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

please digress some more
i want to hear your theories

ya me too.... lurker[1].gif
post #13114 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post


With the clothes or with Nick?

 


A bit of both. I work in sales, so I understand that you have to upsell to make money, but he doesn't seem to get the concept of boiling the pot slowly. I came in telling him that I needed a standard cuff, white cotton dress shirt for a job interview the next day for under 150, that I had no additional money as I'm a broke college student, and that I like shopping locally so I'd be back for more stuff if I liked it. He tried to sell me a french cuff, MTM 250$ shirt (that could be had anywhere else, not even online, for maybe 175) that had a two week turnaround time. When I repeated what I needed (and I'm much more polite in real life than on here) he basically said "suit yourself" and wandered off. Everyone else I know had similar experiences, they either bought what he recommended at an obscene markup (he doesn't do his own work, but charges bespoke prices) or he just ignored them until they left after they didn't.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


Most of the 1818 collection runs about a $1,000 at retail, but they are always having sales. Right now they have a two for $1,500 going on. I seem to remember the clearance from the beginning of this year knocking some models down to $500.
EDIT - http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=418&Product_Id=1210034&Parent_Id=216&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=§ioncolor=§ionsize=#null


thank you! sent him a link!

post #13115 of 33197
Hi, sorry for newb-posting this in its own thread. Im a refugee from SWD.

Thanks for any help:



A buddy who knows of my interest in Men's clothing passed this suit on to me to sell, but other than knowing that its brooks brothers, and in mint condition, im not sure of the model. The fabric seems to me to be high quality, and as you can see from pics of the tags, its union made in the USA. I've browsed BB website and cannot match it. It's a two button single breasted navy suit with wide charcoal stripes.

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





Edited by about11oclock - 2/23/12 at 11:17am
post #13116 of 33197
It is probably a Martin Greenfield made BB suit.
post #13117 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post

A bit of both. I work in sales, so I understand that you have to upsell to make money, but he doesn't seem to get the concept of boiling the pot slowly. I came in telling him that I needed a standard cuff, white cotton dress shirt for a job interview the next day for under 150, that I had no additional money as I'm a broke college student, and that I like shopping locally so I'd be back for more stuff if I liked it. He tried to sell me a french cuff, MTM 250$ shirt (that could be had anywhere else, not even online, for maybe 175) that had a two week turnaround time. When I repeated what I needed (and I'm much more polite in real life than on here) he basically said "suit yourself" and wandered off. Everyone else I know had similar experiences, they either bought what he recommended at an obscene markup (he doesn't do his own work, but charges bespoke prices) or he just ignored them until they left after they didn't.

 

thank you! sent him a link!


That was not my experience at all. I went in looking to get an interview suit and left with a 1/2 canvas MTM Copley for $750 and two MTM white pinpoint shirts for $125 a piece. He isn't the most polite guy in the world but that doesn't bother me because neither am I.

 

post #13118 of 33197
Just got a pair of Bill's Khakis corduroys that need to be hemmed...question...straight hem or have "cuffed hem"?...I am leaning towards a straight hem, but wanted to float the question out there....thanks.
post #13119 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortysomething View Post

Just got a pair of Bill's Khakis corduroys that need to be hemmed...question...straight hem or have "cuffed hem"?...I am leaning towards a straight hem, but wanted to float the question out there....thanks.

I'm curious about this too. I just got a pair of Bill's cords from the Clad sale and haven't been to the tailor yet. SF-approved 2" cuff or straight? Not sure of the protocol for cords.
Fred
post #13120 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post


That was not my experience at all. I went in looking to get an interview suit and left with a 1/2 canvas MTM Copley for $750 and two MTM white pinpoint shirts for $125 a piece. He isn't the most polite guy in the world but that doesn't bother me because neither am I.

 



Strange. Glad you made out okay though. I really wish I could have done okay over there, but it just did not work out. I'd really prefer to be getting my stuff from a local guy, even at a slight premium.

post #13121 of 33197
dOhdA.jpg

Hey guys. Is it possible to stretch a leather tennis shoe only in the area circled above? Length- and width -wise, the fit is spot-on; old threads appear to deal exclusively with these areas.

I'm very hesitant to wear the shoes without stretching, as they leave a red mark right over the interstice of all sorts of veins.... uhoh.gif

Local cobblers are no help; they'll do anything for a buck, whether it's possible or not. laugh.gif

Thanks.
post #13122 of 33197
Loosen the laces.

But yes, leather will stretch. Give it time. If it's really bad, wet the leather and wear them around the house.
post #13123 of 33197
Hi and thanks...

I've tried rubbing alcohol and stretching it with a sideways adjustable shoe tree. That helped, but it's still too small. Just wondering if a reputable cobbler would be able to stretch just that portion of the shoe.
post #13124 of 33197

My quick question is more general than specific. What are general tips for larger than average people? I stand a bit over 6'3" and my most recently tailored suit is 58" with a 36 or 38" waist. I am extremely active physically and compete in both bodybuilding and powerlifting. However, this is really hurting my ability to wear certain clothing. My tailor does good work, but he still calls me a nightmare because of all the recuts and alterations required. I typically have to buy off the rack and get it tailored as opposed to getting one made with me in mind.

 

I am currently sticking to two-button suits and never a vest or a cardigan, as I heard they wouldn't work with my shape, is this true? I struggle quite a bit with my shirts blousing, whether it is polo or button down, because to get one big enough for my chest and shoulders I need a XXL or XXXL. Even if I tuck my shirt in correctly it still seems to bunch at the sides giving me an unpleasant roundness. If anyone has a few general tips or a link to somewhere that could help me I would appreciate it. I tried to search the forums here but kept getting directed to the health section of the forum. 

post #13125 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

Hi and thanks...
I've tried rubbing alcohol and stretching it with a sideways adjustable shoe tree. That helped, but it's still too small. Just wondering if a reputable cobbler would be able to stretch just that portion of the shoe.


I don't know if this will help your problem but in the military we (a lot of us) skip lacing over the instep.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)