or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 802

post #12016 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

White and purple generally go well with gray. Khaki goes less well with gray but can work depending on the shade of gray and khaki in question.
Staple colors in odd trousers are generally khaki, taupe, olive, and brown. Khaki and taupe are probably the most versatile followed by brown and olive.

I have gray chinos and dark blue jeans, would any of these work better?

Thank you!
post #12017 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Ya, sorry. I'm not good at, nor do I enjoy, taking photos of myself. This is probably the best I can do: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A12nbl.jpg

facepalm.gif
just use a mirror
you will be able to take a wider/longer length shot
without raising your shoulder...which makes it impossible for anyone to evaluate whether the jacket fits properly or not
post #12018 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

Does this work? Or is it too much navy?

Those particular shades of navy and indigo really don't look good together, man. It's not the volume, it's the mismatch.
post #12019 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg321 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

White and purple generally go well with gray. Khaki goes less well with gray but can work depending on the shade of gray and khaki in question.
Staple colors in odd trousers are generally khaki, taupe, olive, and brown. Khaki and taupe are probably the most versatile followed by brown and olive.

I have gray chinos and dark blue jeans, would any of these work better?

Thank you!

Dark blue jeans would work better than most shades of khaki. It's unlikely that gray chinos would work well with a gray sweater.
post #12020 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Ya, sorry. I'm not good at, nor do I enjoy, taking photos of myself. This is probably the best I can do: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A12nbl.jpg

facepalm.gif
just use a mirror

You know, I never thought of that.
post #12021 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

If you are in Florida, you might want to consider a navy linen sport coat with brown horn buttons and mid-gray tropical wool pants. Howard Yount had some nice tropical wool pants in the summer. I'm not sure if they have any left. Pair with dark brown calfskin shoes.

This is a good idea if you don't go to conferences in cooler climes. As for the conferences themselves, always make it a point to take a SC at the very least. That way you won't be underdressed even if everyone else is wearing a suit (sounds unlikely from what you're saying), and if it's not needed you can either keep it in your room, or wear it - the old saw about better to be over dressed than under dressed et al
post #12022 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

Does this work? Or is it too much navy?

Not the best combo, but it won't make you look bad, if that's what you're concerned about. Anyway, once you're indoors you're going to take the overcoat off, right?
post #12023 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel4616 View Post

Great, Thanks!

I use thosr lint rollers, but by the time I step outside, I have some hair on my back or a place I missed. Not a huge issue, but it is an issue non the less. I really dislike the gold buttons on some blazers, is it ok to get one without the gold? Say black, dark blue, or brass I think I saw. Does this pair well with charcoal pants? Are black blazers also not a good idea?
I have a navy blazer with mother of pearl (white) buttons, and one with brown horn. Works fine, I like them better than the gold ones too. I wouldn't do blue, looks too much like an orphan suit jacket. Navy blazer looks great with charcoal pants, if perhaps a bit boring.

Black is not a real flexible color, you can't wear it with much. Looks flat during the daylight too.
post #12024 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I have a navy blazer with mother of pearl (white) buttons, and one with brown horn. Works fine, I like them better than the gold ones too. I wouldn't do blue, looks too much like an orphan suit jacket. Navy blazer looks great with charcoal pants, if perhaps a bit boring.
Black is not a real flexible color, you can't wear it with much. Looks flat during the daylight too.

ya... I'm not a fan of the gold buttons either...brown horn sounds perfect.
post #12025 of 30713
Really random question but do Bergdorf online orders include tags? I got my first order from them today and nothing in my order includes any tags at all. Kinda weird and I'm probably going to return an item or two...
post #12026 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

ya... I'm not a fan of the gold buttons either...brown horn sounds perfect.

Agree.
post #12027 of 30713
I know there is little love for the black sport coat here, but humor me:

Do these go together OK?

Coat
425

Shirt
425

Shoes
194

Pants
255
post #12028 of 30713
Say I have a pair of 31x32 chinos that fit me pretty well, how much tailoring can be done to make a pair of pants fit my size? There's a pretty good deal I found on ebay for 34x30 pants. Could I get it tailored to fit me?
post #12029 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

I know there is little love for the black sport coat here, but humor me:

What kind of answer are you looking for? The black jacket goes less badly with those choices of shirt, tie, and trouser than it would with some other choices though less well than a navy blazer would.
post #12030 of 30713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg321 View Post

Say I have a pair of 31x32 chinos that fit me pretty well, how much tailoring can be done to make a pair of pants fit my size? There's a pretty good deal I found on ebay for 34x30 pants. Could I get it tailored to fit me?

A good enough tailor can cut down nearly anything to fit. The problem is that tailoring costs start to increase a lot when re-cutting of the trousers is necessary to maintain the proportion of the trousers and proper fit through the seat, crotch, and thighs. At that point, the money you save on the purchase price is unlikely to cover the additional tailoring expense. Unfortunately, knowing merely the waist size and the inseam length doesn't tell you much about when re-cutting or more extensive alterations will be required because those two measurements don't really tell you anything about the rise, fullness through the thighs and seat, etc. It's for this reason that buying things like trousers online is not recommended unless you own or have previously physically tried on the same item. Of course, if you are willing to accept a less-than-ideal fit, you don't have to worry as much about those things.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)