or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 799

post #11971 of 33197
Yes, while technically the rule is that loafers should not be worn with suits it is so commonplace today that it is deemed as appropriate. Nobody would question it.
post #11972 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risk_Reward View Post

I recently purchased a Brooks Brothers brown houndstooth Sport Coat. I'm having trouble finding a good combination with my wardrobe. My wardrobe is not that big, which is part of the problem. I'll try adding a picture tonight, the coat doesn't seem to be on the website during the sale. It just has two colors a dark brown and a lighter one. The pattern is relatively large.

I'm looking for recommendations to combine with it. The best I've come up with is a light blue shirt with a navy grenadine tie and medium gray trousers. I think I need to buy a bright orange pocket square to liven that combination up.

I'm fairly active in politics and would likely mostly wear it to various political events, conventions, endorsement party's, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A brown sport coat is actually one of the more versatile sport coats out there. The combination you mention is probably the most common and classic combination, but it should work with a variety of shades of gray trousers. Navy odd trousers are not the most classic choice of color for an odd trouser, but should you choose to wear them, they would also work with a brown jacket. You might be able to pair darker brown and olive trousers with it as well. Light blue shirts are always a good choice. Ties with navy, dark green, maroon, and orange bases would all work depending on the color of the trousers.
post #11973 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

I want to buy a new suit but I don't know what to get and was hoping some SFers could give me some opinions. I have two black suits (one solid black one black on black stipe), a dark grey suit, a tan suit, a navy suit, an olive/khaki suit, and a brown tweed SC.  I'm looking for a suit that I can wear as both a suit and use the jacket as a blazer as well (so something plain).  I'm in college and have a job at a family owned company so I'd mostly be wearing the suit casually.  

I'm thinking about this one because although it is grey it is much lighter then the grey I already have, it has natural shoulders, and patch pockets (making it very casual).

Or my second option is this blue suit.  Again, I already have a much darker navy suit, however, I really like this suit as well:

What do you all think?

The color of the second suit makes it a better choice since there is a precedent for odd jackets in solid blues. There is really no such precedent for odd jackets in solid gray.
post #11974 of 33197
How commonplace it is varies widely by location (within the US, I mean - I get that other countries have their own customs). But certainly in the northeast corridor (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore/DC), it's well accepted. Indeed, nice loafers with a suit is practically the standard uniform amongst certain segments of the legal community.

A lot depends on the loafers, though. Just because some loafers are acceptable, doesn't mean that all loafers are acceptable.
--
Michael
post #11975 of 33197

A friend of mine is going to a semi-formal event. So far he has a dark-ish navy suit and some dark brown shoes (I personally do not agree with dark brown shoes, I would prefer black, but, well.) He is planning to wear a bow tie and I have no clue what kind of bow tie he could pull off without looking to cheesy or just silly. A black one I just cannot see working because of the shoes first and foremost. Should I just tell him he is better off going with a tie as that is a lot easier to do or do you guys have any experience with bow ties with navy suits`?

post #11976 of 33197
You can pretty much wear any color tie with a navy blazer.
post #11977 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frislid View Post

A friend of mine is going to a semi-formal event. So far he has a dark-ish navy suit and some dark brown shoes (I personally do not agree with dark brown shoes, I would prefer black, but, well.) He is planning to wear a bow tie and I have no clue what kind of bow tie he could pull off without looking to cheesy or just silly. A black one I just cannot see working because of the shoes first and foremost. Should I just tell him he is better off going with a tie as that is a lot easier to do or do you guys have any experience with bow ties with navy suits`?


There's no reason a bow-tie couldn't look perfectly good, though if he doesn't have the ability to choose which one himself then he probably shouldn't be wearing one to begin with.
post #11978 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frislid View Post

A friend of mine is going to a semi-formal event. So far he has a dark-ish navy suit and some dark brown shoes (I personally do not agree with dark brown shoes, I would prefer black, but, well.) He is planning to wear a bow tie and I have no clue what kind of bow tie he could pull off without looking to cheesy or just silly. A black one I just cannot see working because of the shoes first and foremost. Should I just tell him he is better off going with a tie as that is a lot easier to do or do you guys have any experience with bow ties with navy suits`?

You won't find much love for black suits on SF, or even black shoes for that matter (Mr. patrickBOOTH being an exception). Blue suit and brown shoes should look just fine, although not sure what to say about the bow tie. I always like the idea of an approachable bow tie option, but unless you can pull it off like this guy, might have to pass:

700
post #11979 of 33197
ok, or go with a solid blue shirt?

that's a navy blazer, this is for a party

263
post #11980 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

ok, or go with a solid blue shirt?
that's a navy blazer, this is for a party
263

Well, for a party I would go with a white shirt. I am not a fan of pink ties to begin with so I am not feeling the pink one in the photo.
post #11981 of 33197
can a standard cobbler resole bologna constructed shoes? (i.e. ae rimini http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF49580_1_40000000001_-1)
post #11982 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

There's no reason a bow-tie couldn't look perfectly good, though if he doesn't have the ability to choose which one himself then he probably shouldn't be wearing one to begin with.
+1 lol8[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

You won't find much love for black suits on SF, or even black shoes for that matter (Mr. patrickBOOTH being an exception). Blue suit and brown shoes should look just fine, although not sure what to say about the bow tie. I always like the idea of an approachable bow tie option, but unless you can pull it off like this guy, might have to pass:
700

this looks like Depp's Willy Wonka if he'd gotten dressed at Etro... I'd love this if the blue were slightly darker...
post #11983 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post


this looks like Depp's Willy Wonka if he'd gotten dressed at Etro... I'd love this if the blue were slightly darker...

Ask and you shall receive... biggrin.gif

648
post #11984 of 33197
^ haha... nice job! It's pretty cool now... just the thing I need for my hallucinatory, drug-addled NYE party!
post #11985 of 33197
Comments on how the colors match?

White and purple checked shirt

Grey v-neck sweater

Beige/Khaki chinos

Black/Dark Grey Sperry Chukkas or Clark's DBs Beeswax
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)