or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 750

post #11236 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by daspianist View Post

Jackets with shoulder length visibility longer than that of the natural shoulder length - is it "in" again?
This dude, who penned a book called "Bespoke: The Men's Style of Savile Row " with a forward written by "Tom Ford" thinks so. He also seems pretty proud of it in this picture.
My question is - is this considered a legitimate "style" of certain houses (such as that of H Huntsman, as pointed in this thread?) Cheers!


That'd be great, the 48L fits my chest perfect but is a smidge too wide for my shoulders.  Like that you mean?

 

He does look rather snappy, I must say.

post #11237 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

1. Is $20 right for taking in the sleeves of a sport coat?
2. Does black jeans with a brown sport coat work?

1. Sounds about right.

2. It depends. The shade the jeans are at matters, the shade of brown matters. It can be done. It can also be screwed up pretty badly.
post #11238 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

I want some feed back on two fits.  First is a suit by J. Crew that has not be tailored yet, however, I'm going to at least hem the pants.  What do you think I need to get done to this suit? 
[IMG]http://cdn.styleforum.net/3/38/350x261px-LL-38979e5c_photocopy.jpeg[/IMG The next fit is my overcoat.  My ridiculously skinny legs make this look very baggy but in fact, it is quite snug in the chest area.  What do you think about this?[IMG]http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/1e/350x261px-LL-1e8a29b5_photo.jpeg[/IMG I apologize for the shitty quality pictures and for them being horizontal.  On my computer they are vertical so I don't know why they show up here as horizontal.  

I think they both fit well. You're probably set after you hem the pants on the suit.
post #11239 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


I think they both fit well. You're probably set after you hem the pants on the suit.


Agreed.

 

Thing to remember about an overcoat going down that far is that you've got to be able to walk in it. I think almost any overcoat looks a little baggy around the legs when standing still.

post #11240 of 33195
I'm planning on purchasing my first suit in solid charcoal. I understand that navy and charcoal are both the most versatile colors however with the navy, I could use the jacket as a blazer. The reason why I am purchasing the charcoal is because it is a cut that fits well and is available in my size (whereas the solid navy is sold out nationwide). I've tried searching but I seem to only find threads regarding charcoal pants.

My question is, could I use the charcoal jacket as a charcoal blazer as well? And would it be as versatile as a navy suit jacket/blazer?
Edited by cheesecake - 11/29/11 at 8:52pm
post #11241 of 33195
You're not going to get much love for using a suit jacket as a blazer in general. Between the fabric and the buttons, it always looks off. Charcoal isn't a very useful color for a blazer on top of that. Navy or browns are much more versatile. Charcoal is great for a suit though.
post #11242 of 33195

anyone?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

I want some feed back on two fits.  First is a suit by J. Crew that has not be tailored yet, however, I'm going to at least hem the pants.  What do you think I need to get done to this suit? 

photo copy.JPG

 

The next fit is my overcoat.  My ridiculously skinny legs make this look very baggy but in fact, it is quite snug in the chest area.  What do you think about this?

photo.JPG

 

I apologize for the shitty quality pictures and for them being horizontal.  On my computer they are vertical so I don't know why they show up here as horizontal.  



 

post #11243 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

You're not going to get much love for using a suit jacket as a blazer in general. Between the fabric and the buttons, it always looks off. Charcoal isn't a very useful color for a blazer on top of that. Navy or browns are much more versatile. Charcoal is great for a suit though.

Yup. I wouldn't wear the jacket to most standard navy suits as a blazer either. Way too smooth a fabric, a good navy blazer has some texture to the fabric, and, while some elements of SF irrationally hate the contrasting buttons, has contrasting buttons of some sort.

Buy your suit, and unless it's in a rough, more casual fabric like tweed, wear it as a suit. Buy your blazer separately.

BTW, a blazer option that won't break the bank: http://andersonlittle.com/
It's not the highest quality build or fabric, but it's well designed and made, and the owner occasionally posts here.
post #11244 of 33195
What differentiates a cheap wallet from a nice one? Would like to pick my dad up something decent as he desperately needs one, but don't really know anything about nice wallets. Any recommendations are also welcome, but nothing too crazy expensive please.
post #11245 of 33195
What do you think of these shoes for fall/winter. The rubber heel is fine with me for the rainy weather I have here but I wonder about the color for those seasons.

350

I work at an office where men wear chinos/nice jeans/corduroys. My pants include tan/cream, olive and navy moleskins, medium grey flannels and sometimes medium dark jeans.

Thanks to all.
Edited by Scotty - 11/30/11 at 3:09am
post #11246 of 33195
How often do you button or unbutton a jacket throughout the day? Shouldn't you change it when you sit down? In that case, how often should I expect a button to last, because my middle button comes undone quite often. I paid three dollars for an alterationist to put it back on, and the button came loose after only two more wears! I do not do anything weird with my buttons, or carry a messenger bag or anything that would put crazy strain on my jacket.

Thanks for your advice or suggestions...!
post #11247 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post

How often do you button or unbutton a jacket throughout the day? Shouldn't you change it when you sit down? In that case, how often should I expect a button to last, because my middle button comes undone quite often. I paid three dollars for an alterationist to put it back on, and the button came loose after only two more wears! I do not do anything weird with my buttons, or carry a messenger bag or anything that would put crazy strain on my jacket.
Thanks for your advice or suggestions...!

I had the same issue but I know how to sew & shank a button. Make sure they are using button thread and shank it properly.
post #11248 of 33195
do suede shoes require shoe trees? seems like they dont but maybe they do...
post #11249 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

do suede shoes require shoe trees? seems like they dont but maybe they do...

Yes of course they do.
post #11250 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Yeah, ties shouldn't go with such a casual bottom half and no sport coat. The only kind of shirt (OCBD) that really goes with that bottom half shouldn't really have a tie with it to begin with. If you wear a dressier shirt, like a spread collar it will look really bad with that bottom, especially if you have a tie on with it.
My personal opinion is that if you are wearing a tie you must have a jacket of some sort on. The whole tie with no jacket is a bad look.

Can I wear one if I have a v-neck sweater over my shirt and tie? I expect a no, but am just wondering not planning on doing it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)