or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 745

post #11161 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post


yeah, the design on the toe of the shoe, they all seem to have the same shape and design though, what is the significance of that design? it couldn't be a coincidence that all brogued shoes have such a similar pattern of holes.


They don't all have the same design but, as with everything else, there's a "traditional" way to do it that is very common.

post #11162 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

yeah, the design on the toe of the shoe, they all seem to have the same shape and design though, what is the significance of that design? it couldn't be a coincidence that all brogued shoes have such a similar pattern of holes.

That part of broguing is called medallion, there are many designs, see here for example.
post #11163 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

i have seen this logo on many shoes, what does it mean?
sf1.jpg

You've written a guide on how to add rubber soles to a shoe but you don't know what a medallion is?
post #11164 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

You've written a guide on how to add rubber soles to a shoe but you don't know what a medallion is?

the universe works in mysterious ways
post #11165 of 33180
rps20111114_152143.jpg
new mid gray glen plaid suit
BB fitzgerald in saxxon wool

about to wear it for the first time tomorrow
white shirt + .... a navy tie w/ dots probably + white linen square
undecided about black or brown shoes...
hmmm.....

rps20110917_095821.jpg
give me your suggestions
these are my current dress shoes ...
3 black captoes... i know ... got a dark brown BB/AE strand on its way ordered during the thanksgiving sale
post #11166 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

rps20111114_152143.jpg
new mid gray glen plaid suit
BB fitzgerald in saxxon wool
about to wear it for the first time tomorrow
white shirt + .... a navy tie w/ dots probably + white linen square
undecided about black or brown shoes...
hmmm.....
rps20110917_095821.jpg
give me your suggestions
these are my current dress shoes ...
3 black captoes... i know ... got a dark brown BB/AE strand on its way ordered during the thanksgiving sale

Brown shoes go great with grey and blue, go for the dark brown. The only exception would be a conservative office work day tomorrow, in that case go black.
post #11167 of 33180
I want that suit in sport coat form.
post #11168 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

I want that suit in sport coat form.

+1
post #11169 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

rps20111114_152143.jpg
new mid gray glen plaid suit
BB fitzgerald in saxxon wool

Good call. That Saxxon is some badass stuff.
post #11170 of 33180
Quick question -- I was considering ordering a Lands End blazer just to see if it'll work as a beater jacket, but I understand the sleeves come with functional buttons. I tend to need a shorter sleeve, 24"-24.5" depending on the jacket. Does anything think I'll be able to get a jacket and get the desired sleeve length without removing the sleeve at the shoulder? Or can the end of the sleeve just be shortened? Does anyone know what the sleeve length for their jackets tend to be?

Thanks in advance.
post #11171 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav View Post

Quick question -- I was considering ordering a Lands End blazer just to see if it'll work as a beater jacket, but I understand the sleeves come with functional buttons. I tend to need a shorter sleeve, 24"-24.5" depending on the jacket. Does anything think I'll be able to get a jacket and get the desired sleeve length without removing the sleeve at the shoulder? Or can the end of the sleeve just be shortened? Does anyone know what the sleeve length for their jackets tend to be?
Thanks in advance.

I would avoid completely. Functional buttons are a horrible idea in OTR jackets. I got a LE cotton blazer in 36 and the sleeves are stupidly long...and I have monkey arms. Shortening from the shoulder is (I'm told) prohibitively difficult and expensive.
post #11172 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

I want that suit in sport coat form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

+1

i gave away a more bluish wool SC in glen plaid made by lanvin for barneys to a friend because it was just a tad big...
every time i am over at his place and see the SC hanging in the closet, i grab it and try it on again
i'm so tempted to ask for it back and try tailoring it... although it probably is best to just leave it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Good call. That Saxxon is some badass stuff.
yeah the saxxon wool feels greattttttt

steve
i am always tempted by your listings... unfortunately (or fortunately?) the suits you post that i want don't fit me... or sell real quickly

(btw, can you go back to posting last updated dates in the thread titles? not sure if you stopped doing that or not but i keep seeing the threads without a date and go in them with the hopes that they've been updated)
post #11173 of 33180

My closet is pretty bare and I have need for some essentials, and I'm looking for a shoe recommendation. 

 

I'm looking for a versatile shoe to cover the range from a tweed sport coat and chinos up to a navy blazer in worsted wool with grey trousers.  I have several important presentations to give over the next year - my MS thesis defense, and talks at scientific conferences, where I will be speaking before colleagues and potential future employers.  I need to look competent and professional, but not in a way that draws attention to my dress.  I'm in a pretty casual field (a field-going natural science), so a suit would be too much.

 

Though I think it a little boring, I was thinking of a nicer plain toe blucher in dark brown calf - but please offer suggestions!  I sure like the look of a single monk, but worry that it could be too flashy.  Any academics care to comment? 

 

 

post #11174 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by taaku View Post

My closet is pretty bare and I have need for some essentials, and I'm looking for a shoe recommendation. 

I'm looking for a versatile shoe to cover the range from a tweed sport coat and chinos up to a navy blazer in worsted wool with grey trousers.  I have several important presentations to give over the next year - my MS thesis defense, and talks at scientific conferences, where I will be speaking before colleagues and potential future employers.  I need to look competent and professional, but not in a way that draws attention to my dress.  I'm in a pretty casual field (a field-going natural science), so a suit would be too much.

Though I think it a little boring, I was thinking of a nicer plain toe blucher in dark brown calf - but please offer suggestions!  I sure like the look of a single monk, but worry that it could be too flashy.  Any academics care to comment? 


Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut? They look great with grey trousers:

232
post #11175 of 33180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

You've written a guide on how to add rubber soles to a shoe but you don't know what a medallion is?

Where can I get these boots? They are gorgeous.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)