or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 705

post #10561 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

I say pants. But to be honest, I would try to avoid wearing two shades of gray if possible.

+1 for light (flannel!) trousers. Light blue shirt, plain brown tie, brown suede shoes, done. smile.gif
post #10562 of 33295
I bought a cream v-neck sweat from Uniqlo. I have bought previous sweaters from them before so didn't think to try it on. Unfortunately, because this is a lighter colour my shirt underneath shows through (especially the buttons!).

Is there any use for this sweater whatsoever? It looks particularly dreadful with a pink shirt underneath, a white shirt less so but still not wearable.

Also, consider this a warning wink.gif
post #10563 of 33295
Two quick questions from a newbie smile.gif

1) Is it appropriate to steam clothings that have already been worn? (most especially sweaters and sportscoats)

2) I just started wearing v-neck sweater over shirts. When I do this with jeans, should I leave the shirt tucked or untucked?
post #10564 of 33295
I want my wife to start buying and wearing quality brands, but I find it extremely hard to wade through all the trendy designers making poor quality clothes & accessories. Do quality brands exist in the women's market?

For example we went winter boot shopping for brown riding boots and I tried finding her some "quality" & "classic" boots that would last years with maintenance but I fell short and we ended up buying some Steve Madden partial leather (not genuine I'm sure) boots for (~$180) that will probably fall apart before the end of the season.

I hate looking at everything we buy for her and seeing the price tag then looking at the materials and country of origin and all I see is polyurethane crap & Made in China.
post #10565 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post

I want my wife to start buying and wearing quality brands, but I find it extremely hard to wade through all the trendy designers making poor quality clothes & accessories. Do quality brands exist in the women's market?
For example we went winter boot shopping for brown riding boots and I tried finding her some "quality" & "classic" boots that would last years with maintenance but I fell short and we ended up buying some Steve Madden partial leather (not genuine I'm sure) boots for (~$180) that will probably fall apart before the end of the season.
I hate looking at everything we buy for her and seeing the price tag then looking at the materials and country of origin and all I see is polyurethane crap & Made in China.

Check the B/S here on SF. Steve Smith has some BB leather riding boots for around $200, great quality too smile.gif
post #10566 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post

I want my wife to start buying and wearing quality brands, but I find it extremely hard to wade through all the trendy designers making poor quality clothes & accessories. Do quality brands exist in the women's market?
For example we went winter boot shopping for brown riding boots and I tried finding her some "quality" & "classic" boots that would last years with maintenance but I fell short and we ended up buying some Steve Madden partial leather (not genuine I'm sure) boots for (~$180) that will probably fall apart before the end of the season.
I hate looking at everything we buy for her and seeing the price tag then looking at the materials and country of origin and all I see is polyurethane crap & Made in China.

The term "quality" gets thrown around a lot here. It's dizzying to think of the different levels of "quality" or "craftsmanship" within our comfort zone of menswear. When you step into womenswear the confusion is only heightened.

I date a girl that wears very expensive clothes and generally has impeccable taste. I am told by my girl friends that she is a great dresser and that they are envious of her wardrobe, etc, etc. However, when examining her clothes the vast majority are pure garbage in terms of the "quality" this forum extols in menswear. This however, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Women are far more likely to wear the same item of clothing only a few times. They have no problem buying cheap tops, shoes and even staple items like jeans because they are aware that they will want more and new as soon as the season changes (if they can even wait that long). Inversely, a man can buy a suit for $5,000 and never need to replace it if he takes care of it correctly. As men we are much more likely to buy quality and buy in smaller amounts. There is often a great amount of charm and style associated with a fraying shirt collar or the patina of a great pair of shoes for men. For women, this is not the case.

The fundamental problem you encounter when trying to push "quality" is fashion vs. style. Here we beat into our heads that what we are doing is about style and never about fashion (pardon the occasional "trendy" item). Women on the other hand are all about "the latest fashion". They read God-awful magazines and spend hours in stores like Forever 21 to procure 1,000 items for $1,000 that are all in the correct cut or color of the moment. When it comes to dressing well men and women simply exist on two different plains (at least when examining stereotypical SF norms vs. stereotypical "well dressed" women norms).

While it may not hurt to have your wife invest in well made jeans or outerwear or boots as mentioned above, do remember that most of the items she loves today she might well hate tomorrow. Remember time has the greatest impact on ROI. wink.gif
post #10567 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post

I want my wife to start buying and wearing quality brands, but I find it extremely hard to wade through all the trendy designers making poor quality clothes & accessories. Do quality brands exist in the women's market?
For example we went winter boot shopping for brown riding boots and I tried finding her some "quality" & "classic" boots that would last years with maintenance but I fell short and we ended up buying some Steve Madden partial leather (not genuine I'm sure) boots for (~$180) that will probably fall apart before the end of the season.
I hate looking at everything we buy for her and seeing the price tag then looking at the materials and country of origin and all I see is polyurethane crap & Made in China.

I've always felt that It's sad how females are treated in the clothing world. They settle for horrendous quality for the sake of fashion bragging rights. But that is how they made the game for them selves. I see mens clothing full of content in comparison. I assume it's because we need more help justifying purchases, instead of being bamboozled by fashion trends biggrin.gif
post #10568 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

The term "quality" gets thrown around a lot here. It's dizzying to think of the different levels of "quality" or "craftsmanship" within our comfort zone of menswear. When you step into womenswear the confusion is only heightened.
I date a girl that wears very expensive clothes and generally has impeccable taste. I am told by my girl friends that she is a great dresser and that they are envious of her wardrobe, etc, etc. However, when examining her clothes the vast majority are pure garbage in terms of the "quality" this forum extols in menswear. This however, is not necessarily a bad thing.
Women are far more likely to wear the same item of clothing only a few times. They have no problem buying cheap tops, shoes and even staple items like jeans because they are aware that they will want more and new as soon as the season changes (if they can even wait that long). Inversely, a man can buy a suit for $5,000 and never need to replace it if he takes care of it correctly. As men we are much more likely to buy quality and buy in smaller amounts. There is often a great amount of charm and style associated with a fraying shirt collar or the patina of a great pair of shoes for men. For women, this is not the case.
The fundamental problem you encounter when trying to push "quality" is fashion vs. style. Here we beat into our heads that what we are doing is about style and never about fashion (pardon the occasional "trendy" item). Women on the other hand are all about "the latest fashion". They read God-awful magazines and spend hours in stores like Forever 21 to procure 1,000 items for $1,000 that are all in the correct cut or color of the moment. When it comes to dressing well men and women simply exist on two different plains (at least when examining stereotypical SF norms vs. stereotypical "well dressed" women norms).
While it may not hurt to have your wife invest in well made jeans or outerwear or boots as mentioned above, do remember that most of the items she loves today she might well hate tomorrow. Remember time has the greatest impact on ROI. wink.gif

I like this post, great points.
post #10569 of 33295
Thank you for the great post. Personally I'm not fond of many women's "fashion trends" and prefer my woman to look classic and elegant but at the end of the day it's her choice. One of my issues with it is the prices that some of these companies charge for their crap. I have no problem with a 1 season pair of boots, but why do they have to be $200? I suppose there are always stores like Forever 21 and H&M, but I've been trying to pull her away from them for years because personally I can't stand being in them. Maybe it's just me being selfish biggrin.gif.
post #10570 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

The term "quality" gets thrown around a lot here. It's dizzying to think of the different levels of "quality" or "craftsmanship" within our comfort zone of menswear. When you step into womenswear the confusion is only heightened.

I date a girl that wears very expensive clothes and generally has impeccable taste. I am told by my girl friends that she is a great dresser and that they are envious of her wardrobe, etc, etc. However, when examining her clothes the vast majority are pure garbage in terms of the "quality" this forum extols in menswear. This however, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Women are far more likely to wear the same item of clothing only a few times. They have no problem buying cheap tops, shoes and even staple items like jeans because they are aware that they will want more and new as soon as the season changes (if they can even wait that long). Inversely, a man can buy a suit for $5,000 and never need to replace it if he takes care of it correctly. As men we are much more likely to buy quality and buy in smaller amounts. There is often a great amount of charm and style associated with a fraying shirt collar or the patina of a great pair of shoes for men. For women, this is not the case.

The fundamental problem you encounter when trying to push "quality" is fashion vs. style. Here we beat into our heads that what we are doing is about style and never about fashion (pardon the occasional "trendy" item). Women on the other hand are all about "the latest fashion". They read God-awful magazines and spend hours in stores like Forever 21 to procure 1,000 items for $1,000 that are all in the correct cut or color of the moment. When it comes to dressing well men and women simply exist on two different plains (at least when examining stereotypical SF norms vs. stereotypical "well dressed" women norms).

While it may not hurt to have your wife invest in well made jeans or outerwear or boots as mentioned above, do remember that most of the items she loves today she might well hate tomorrow. Remember time has the greatest impact on ROI. wink.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].giffing02[1].gif

that was very clear and a great read smile.gif
post #10571 of 33295

I'm looking for a pair of dress shoes in black.  Budget is $200.  Where would be a good place to start looking?  I know I'm not going to get the greatest, most comfortable shoes but my current shoes are very uncomfortable.  


Edited by Tyler2106 - 10/21/11 at 12:10pm
post #10572 of 33295
Hey guys,

Can someone let me know from these two pictures whether or not these pants have a "split waistband," and as such, can be taken out in the waist?

Thank you!

Photo_Oct_21_3_36_31_PM.jpg

Photo_Oct_21_3_36_56_PM.jpg
post #10573 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post

I'm looking for a pair of dress shoes in black.  Budget is $200.  Where would be a good place to start looking?  I know I'm not going to get the greatest, most comfortable shoes but my current shoes are very uncomfortable.  


have you tried on allen edmonds shoes?
if you like the AE fit and style, message "allaboutshoes" on this forum and ask him about the model, size, and color of the one you want
you can get most of them for $230-245
first quality, brand new in box with the shoe bags

i just ordered a pair of AE horsebit loafers (the verona model) through him and received them very quickly
and saved $100
post #10574 of 33295
Has anyone here seen a suit coat with only one side pocket flap on it? Ebay purchase, all in all very nice suit (in my inexperienced opinion). I took it to the tailor before realizing the oddity of only have a pocket flap on one side (I know, how could I have possibly missed that!). Is this some sort of freak-suit?

It is Burberry London, if the brand matters.

Thanks,
Bill
post #10575 of 33295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslade View Post

Hey guys,

Can someone let me know from these two pictures whether or not these pants have a "split waistband," and as such, can be taken out in the waist?

Thank you!

Yes, that is a split waistband. There looks to be about 1.5 inches seam allowance on either side so you could probably let them out as much as 3 inches, though that much might space the back pockets oddly far apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wogmail View Post

Has anyone here seen a suit coat with only one side pocket flap on it? Ebay purchase, all in all very nice suit (in my inexperienced opinion). I took it to the tailor before realizing the oddity of only have a pocket flap on one side (I know, how could I have possibly missed that!). Is this some sort of freak-suit?

It is Burberry London, if the brand matters.

Thanks,
Bill

Sounds very weird. You could always have the one flap removed, or just keep it tucked into the pocket.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)