or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 696

post #10426 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by defpoetry View Post

Looking to get a good first pair of monk straps, as a I've had only lace-ups to this point. For the latter I generally take an 8.5D almost every time. As a general size question for monks, should I take a half size down, 8D to ensure the same fit? Worried that with monks my usual size will fit too loosely without being able to fully lace the shoe.

 

 


Try your regular size first. Going down a size could leave you with painful pinched toes. You may need to size down, depending on the last, but that's true of any shoe.

If you have a low instep, as I do, you may find it tricky to get a proper fit. So it's important to try before you buy.
post #10427 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

Anybody know of a post or a link that has a good pictorial on how to measure shoes? I have a request from somebody to measure a pair but want to make sure I am doing it correctly.
I tried the search function but was overwhelmed with results taking me to unhelpful places.

Our poster RIDER, who's a professional in the business of selling shoes both online and IRL, frowns on attempts to measure them. Outsole measurement isn't a reliable way of determining fit. But if the buyer insists after you tell him that, I'd either A) provide the maximum sole length and the measurement across the widest point of the bottom of the sole, or B) ask him how he'd like you to measure it. I've yet to figure out a way to get reliable interior measurements, which is what a buyer would really need to know. Even then, the fit could be off, depending on the shape of the buyer's foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal225 View Post

Good afternoon gents,

 

I am a new member and so far it has been quite an enlightening  experience . I very much enjoy fashion and it has always been an significant part of who I was growing up - and it still continues to be. This is a wonderful website and I am happy to have stumbled upon it.

 

Onto my questions now; Is it acceptable to wear ribbon/d-ring belts for the fall months? I live in Southern CA ( Palm Springs area) and the weather is still in the upper 80s and mid 90s most of the days. Also, is it appropriate to wear a tie with chinos and what color of socks go better with Burgundy Tassel Loafers?

 

Sorry for the multiple questions but in my opinion (when it comes to fashion) I'm still a novice compared to many of the members here, although I do hope to absorb and learn as much as I can from you guys.

 

Thank you very much in advance.


I think of ribbon belts as summer wear, but if everything else you're wearing is summery, the weather is summery, and in you're in a casual setting, why not?

Ties with chinos are fine, if you're wearing a sportcoat.
post #10428 of 33197
Did a forum search and came up with mostly posts from years ago...

Tailor for suit alterations recommendations for Columbus, OH? Seems like the most common recommendation is Boris, but he's pretty expensive. Trying to see all the good options. Yelp doesn't help much with this search.

Thanks.
post #10429 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by who8mahrice View Post

Did a forum search and came up with mostly posts from years ago...
Tailor for suit alterations recommendations for Columbus, OH? Seems like the most common recommendation is Boris, but he's pretty expensive. Trying to see all the good options. Yelp doesn't help much with this search.
Thanks.

Went to school in Ohio and had a lot of my fraternity brothers use Boris. While they never griped about the price I know that his work was really top notch. Columbus might be similar to Atlanta where there are only a few quality tailors and you are at the mercy of their pricing if you want top-shelf work.
post #10430 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Try your regular size first. Going down a size could leave you with painful pinched toes. You may need to size down, depending on the last, but that's true of any shoe.
If you have a low instep, as I do, you may find it tricky to get a proper fit. So it's important to try before you buy.

I actually had to size up for my first pair of monkstraps. I'm not saying you need to, but it would be best if you can try them on before you buy.
post #10431 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa159 View Post

Bought a pair of seconds for $240 inc. Tax and shipping, shoe looks good, bottoms look strange. Should I keep them or return them and try to get nordstroms/Allen Edmonds to honor the Columbus day sale and pick up a new pair for 276? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
[585
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
585

you could PM member "allaboutshoes" on this forum and get FIRST quality AE for $240ish shipped
post #10432 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Went to school in Ohio and had a lot of my fraternity brothers use Boris. While they never griped about the price I know that his work was really top notch. Columbus might be similar to Atlanta where there are only a few quality tailors and you are at the mercy of their pricing if you want top-shelf work.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll probably end up going with Boris just to be on the safe side.
post #10433 of 33197
Can anyone identify the maker on these N&L shoes?

USjoPl.jpg
Mb8Jal.jpg
HdAo4l.jpg
post #10434 of 33197
^Grenson?

233

Though the markings on the inside of the shoe look like C&J to me...
post #10435 of 33197
med.jpg

Where can I find a similar knit tie as this pattern?

And has anyone tried out Blank Label MTM?
post #10436 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

med.jpg
Where can I find a similar knit tie as this pattern?

I know I've seen a better brand/higher quality one somewhere but I can't place it. This one should do in a pinch, however.
post #10437 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by inimitable View Post

Can anyone identify the maker on these N&L shoes?
USjoPl.jpg
Mb8Jal.jpg
HdAo4l.jpg

100% Crockett & Jones. Looks like handgrade standard.
post #10438 of 33197
Edi* sorry wrong section
Edited by sk00ma - 10/13/11 at 8:11am
post #10439 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal225 View Post

Thank you. One example is; stone colored chinos, a long sleeve plaid shirt (navy blue with burgundy and white stripes) and a burgundy belt. We don't really wear coats here in socal so maybe a banana-yellow cable-knit crew sweater? Another outfit is; light grey slacks, white pinstripe long-sleeve and a tie (navy blue, grey and red diagonal stripes).


Not sure there would ever be a good reason to wear that tounge.gif
post #10440 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemostar View Post

Just updated my wardrobe with some new stuff, brown leather Timbaland boots etc. Should I get a matching brown belt to mach the shoes? Mainly going to wear them with jeans.

 

As of now I only got a black rather thin belt. Thanks!


100% yes. Get one that is > 1.25"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)